As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop Monitor Flickering

nefyavenefyave Registered User regular
My laptop monitor has been flickering for about a day now. Sometimes its barely noticeable but its constantly there. I have rebooted, changed my resolution and its still there. I hooked it up to an external monitor and then it was gone... so is my screen dying? I have an Acer Aspire9520 btw..

anybody got any ideas?

bannerpa.jpg
nefyave on

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hopefully, you'll get a lot better answers than this, but here: it sounds like the connections between your laptop's display and the motherboard are about the kick.

How old is your laptop? A very similar thing happened to me and my Inspiron 5150. Ignoring that the 5150s were satanic creations set by the devil to test the faithful, the screen flickered, and eventually gave out. I sent it in, and it was repair by the class-action lawsuit guaranteed extended warranty, and eventually, the same thing happened again.

If it's the same problem, eventually, the screen will very nearly die completely (you might be able to make something out at weird angles, but it's not remotely useful). The fact that you can still reliably use an external monitor only seems to reinforce that suspicion--your GPU is fine, but the connections are giving out.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Its a little less than 2 years old. Any way to fix this?

nefyave on
    bannerpa.jpg
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My last laptop liked to flicker a bit. I always just pressed down in the general area below the LCD panel until the connection stopped flaking out. Eventually I figured out exactly where the cable ran and was able to consistently stop the flickering every time it started.

Frem on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    My last laptop liked to flicker a bit. I always just pressed down in the general area below the LCD panel until the connection stopped flaking out. Eventually I figured out exactly where the cable ran and was able to consistently stop the flickering every time it started.

I'd recommend the same as, really, I can't think of anything else you could do (beyond opening the thing up and soldering down the connections). If it's only two years old, I don't think the problems can be to severe, unless you've been very rough with it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well, that sucks. I guess ill be bringin it to a repair shop tomorrow :(

edit: wait, so i try'd pressing down on the bottom of the screen and then the backlighting went out. I could still see the screen, but there was no backlighting at all. This probably doesnt help and i think it still has to be opened to fix it i think....

nefyave on
    bannerpa.jpg