As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Going to Israel - Spending Money (New question: Passport)

RecklessReckless Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Heyo,

I'm headed to Israel this summer on a Birthright program. I'll only be there a week and a half, and my meals will be pretty much covered, so I'll only have to bring some cash to spend on extra meals, cigarettes, and souvenirs. About how much should I look to bring?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: New Question. See post.

Reckless on

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    have fun. i did a birthright trip in oh, 2000-2001 or something like that. great trip

i think i only brought a couple hundred dollars. there really isn't all that much you need to buy on those trips, an occiasional dinner, booze etc.

i am sure if you have a credit card you can deal with a lot of things that way. any vendor/street cart you would need cash

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Have you travelled internationally in the past? You're not going to spend substantially more or less than you would in any other first world country. Figure out what you plan on buying, bring about 150% of that to be safe, and you'll be fine.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    This will actually be the first place I've gone to outside the United States, save Canada. I'm fairly damn excited.

Reckless on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Reckless wrote: »
    This will actually be the first place I've gone to outside the United States, save Canada. I'm fairly damn excited.

Ok. You're going to encounter a lot of interesting things, some good, some bad- but don't expect the world to be upside down. You're going to Israel, not the Sudan. You won't have any trouble affording stuff unless you're a total epicure without any sense of control. :p

Organichu on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    get ready for the shock of teens walking around toting m16's it was weird at first.

israel is really pretty. what birthright trip are you doing?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm doing the Hillel campus connection trip, and a friend of mine should be coming along with me, so I'm pretty excited about that.

I'm an International Relations major with a focus on Middle-East politics, so despite the fact that the trip is going to be extremely one-sided, I'm looking forward to getting to see some of the situation I've studied for the past two years. Also, it's kinda sad for an IR major to only have a Canadian stamp in the passport.

Reckless on
  • Options
    DibsDibs Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A lot of left-wing students I went with were very impressed at how the situation was presented, and felt that their education at home was letting them down.

The only thing you really need to spend money on is booze, snacks, water (I'd suggest buying a huge bottle or two on the first day and refilling them) and gifts/memoribilia crap.

The number '$300' is popping out at me, and I don't know if that's how much I spent + a large gift, or how much I spent in total. Remember: There are banks there - you'll pay a bit of a fee, but you can top up when you need to, and use a credit card for large purchases (DO try to bargain everything).

Have a great time, that was my first trip out of Canada as well and I can't wait to go back.

Dibs on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    IIRC the exchange rate for the shekel is pretty good, so your money may actually be worth a little more over there than it is in the US.

Still, it's always best to pack a little extra money on any trip, because you don't want to be in a situation where all your friends are going out to party and you're broke. So take a little extra, just because you take it doesn't mean you have to spend it. I always bring money back when I come home from a trip.

Duffel on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just have an ATM card that can withdraw money from banks overseas.

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the help guys. I've got a new question for you. On the Passport application, there's a spot for "Travel Plans." Can I leave this blank, or should I bother to enter in the rough date for Israel?

The thing is, I'd like to visit some countries eventually that might frown on a bunch of "Israel Israel Israel" in my book.

Reckless on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you're planning on visiting countries that are going to frown on travel to Israel, you should decide what is more important to you: visiting those countries, or visiting Israel for a propaganda tour.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    If you're planning on visiting countries that are going to frown on travel to Israel, you should decide what is more important to you: visiting those countries, or visiting Israel for a propaganda tour.

Are there really countries that will block travel plans just because you've visited Israel?

That doesn't sound much better than blindly supporting Israel, but that's just me.

admanb on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    Are there really countries that will block travel plans just because you've visited Israel?

That doesn't sound much better than blindly supporting Israel, but that's just me.
    Yup. Mostly Arab nations. It's an effort to keep out Mossad operatives, I believe.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    admanb wrote: »

Yup. Mostly Arab nations. It's an effort to keep out Mossad operatives, I believe.

Oh. Well, that makes sense.

admanb on
  • Options
    hdentonhdenton Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hdenton on
    I'm in your bags taking your waters!
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I realize what they present on the trip is going to be extremely one-sided, but somehow I feel that I know enough about the entirety of the situation to be able to take absolutely everything with a grain of salt.

Reckless on