As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Purchasing used games...what do you think this is worth?

EmonkEmonk __BANNED USERS regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
A friend of mine is cleaning out some space in his house. He has several old SNES and Super Famicom games that he wants to get rid of. He told me he would give the whole lot of them to me for $20. Here's the list:

US Games:
Street Fighter 2
Chrono Trigger
7th Saga
NBA 96
Final Fantasy 2 and 3
Ogre Battle

Japanese Imports:
Dragon Quest 3 Remake
Dragon Quest 6
Seiken Densetsu 3
Final Fantasy 5
Creation of Heaven and Earth

My friend takes extremely good care of his games and systems. Each one of these games has been wrapped in a towel, with the original box and manual still preserved. There is only a small slit cut in the original plastic for him to take them out.

At $20 I feel like I'm ripping him off, but he insists that he just wants to get them out of his house. How much do you think this collection is worth?

Emonk on

• RuddurBallRuddurBall Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Chrono Trigger alone is worth $20. Its actually pretty hard to find nowadays.

E-bay of used Chrono Trigger

RuddurBall on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, checking ebay you can see that final fantasy 3 alone can go for as high as $130 or more. Chronotrigger's close too.

If he just wants to get rid of them though, better you take em than someone else who might not appreciate them.

Dissociater on
  • thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Go for it. The Square RPGs alone are worth craploads, I think OgreBattle is rare too.

If you feel bad for just giving him $20 for it all, offer to take him out to dinner too or something.

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    At $20 you ar pretty much ripping him off (kidding :) ), but you can always console yourself with the notion that you're giving those games a good home. Or that fact that you got some great games for a 10th of what you would have paid online.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    RuddurBall wrote: »
    Chrono Trigger alone is worth $20.

Shit, if you don't want them I do.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NBA '96? Hell yeah!

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Buy them all, and give Ogre Battle to me.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ogre battle is great and I'd easily shell 10-20 bucks for it. Ebay's listing it at about 40.

As for the rest of the US titles , I'd put it at the 5$ range. Yes, even Chrono Trigger as it has recently been remade.

I don't know enough about the imports to put a price on them.

Meiz on
  • EmonkEmonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Is anyone familiar with Creation of Heaven and Earth? I've never even heard of it.

Emonk on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Do you have a Super Famicom? I've never tried it, but I don't think the SNES is region free.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Do you have a Super Famicom? I've never tried it, but I don't think the SNES is region free.
    Actually, it is. You just have to tear some stupid plastic chunks out of your North American SNES if you want to play Japanese games. Or, conversely, if the person who own's the SNES is too finicky about their plastic, you can always take a saw/sharp knife to your Japanese cartridge.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I imagine Dragon Quest 6 and Seiken Densetsu 3 are worth good money. Neither has been officially released in english to my knowledge and they're pretty popular games.

Food on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll give him $30

Taramoor on
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dragon Quest 6 and 3 aren't really worth a lot. I got 3 for around $5 and 6 for around $12. On the other hand Super Robot Wars F Super Famicom cart is worth a small fortune.

CygnusZ on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would pay $100 for that lot with a fucking smile on my face. $20 IS ripping him off, but good god man DO EET NOAW.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ogre battle particularly is a good one. I wish I'd picked that up instead of renting it over and over back in the day.

Edit: That's Terranigma? Yeah.... that really is all the old rare classics, snap it up or, more likely, you are joking.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This didn't feel like a joke post to anyone? "Hey I can get all the rarest games from the SNES generation, with box and dox do you think $20 is a good deal for it?" What?

If it's not I bid $40. Unless Fig-D was official, in that case $101.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Emonk wrote: »
    Is anyone familiar with Creation of Heaven and Earth? I've never even heard of it.

It's actually Terranigma. I have no idea why he used the Japanese name for it.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I'll give him $30

$31

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I'll give him $30

$31

$31.01

EDIT: I officially rescind this post for being an utter waste of time, space, zeroes, and ones. I will not, however, be deleting it because it will forever serve as a monument to my shame.

I also thought the OP was being sarcastic.

Taramoor on
    edited February 2009
    EdS25 wrote: »
    This didn't feel like a joke post to anyone? "Hey I can get all the rarest games from the SNES generation, with box and dox do you think $20 is a good deal for it?" What?

Um, what?
    At $20 I feel like I'm ripping him off, but he insists that he just wants to get them out of his house. How much do you think this collection is worth?

See also: the thread title.

Look, I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything. Perhaps I didn't make my intentions clear. I'm obviously picking this up. I was really surprised that he offered them to me so cheaply. I wanted an honest appraisal of the value of the games that I'm getting.

Emonk on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, a most cursory price check will reveal that this is a treasure trove of valuable games, especially if they are in that good a condition. If you want them, pay him whatever he asks.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    to the OP: Holy crap that's way, way way worth more than $20

especially in good condition

slash000 on
    edited February 2009
    Just the USA snes carts alone, in good condition, would go for well over $100 by themselves.

If he's offering $20, I think you should show some good will and offer him $50 at least. If you can afford it.

slash000 on
    edited February 2009
    I think $30 and a case of beer will probably be good enough in that case.

Also, I looked up Terranigma. It never saw stateside release, which would explain why I hadn't heard of that either. Looks like it was the third game in the series after Soulblazer and Illusion of Gaia.

I remember playing those games and thinking they were inferior to Secret of Mana, but I could just be getting them all confused with Secret of Evermore.

Emonk on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, throwing in a case of beer is a good bonus for that kind of deal.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Go for it. The Square RPGs alone are worth craploads, I think OgreBattle is rare too.

If you feel bad for just giving him $20 for it all, offer to take him out to dinner too or something.

Make sure to give him a blowjob after dinner too.
    :P

Rizzi on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    EdS25 wrote: »

Um, what?

See also: the thread title.

Look, I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything. Perhaps I didn't make my intentions clear. I'm obviously picking this up. I was really surprised that he offered them to me so cheaply. I wanted an honest appraisal of the value of the games that I'm getting.

If everything has original boxes and manuals in good condition, you're looking at upwards of $200. You don't see a lot of original boxes and manuals for SNES stuff anymore.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, the USA snes stuff is probably $140 worth of stuff itself. The Japanese stuff could potentially be worth as much. Putting that value over $200.

I would do a more indepth look at the market value of these things but I don't have time right now

Suffice it to say that this stuff is worth far more than $100, let alone $20

slash000 on
    edited March 2009
    Well, I finally made the deal. Unfortunately none of the US games had boxes, and 7th Saga and NBA Live 96 were missing manuals as well. I ended up paying $20 cash and picked up the tip at dinner later that night and we called it even.

Here's the haul:
    P1100295.jpg

Emonk on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So much anger.
    Mostly jealous anger... nice catch.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    holy jealousy

Ah_Pook on
    edited March 2009
    Deal of the decade.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's a treasure trove right there, glad you turned out to be legit and not a troll, that's an awesome deal.

It's like staring into the shiny parts of my childhood.
    It burns us!

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    STOP READING THE FORUMS AND THROW MONEY AT HIM

LewieP on
    edited March 2009
    Dibs on Ogre Battle.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey, a Caesar adaptor. Haven't seen one of those since forever.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Food wrote: »
    I imagine Dragon Quest 6 and Seiken Densetsu 3 are worth good money. Neither has been officially released in english to my knowledge and they're pretty popular games.

Seiken Densetsu 3 is so good.

EskimoDave on
  • Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dear god if you haven't already bought them doooo eeeet now!

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The way you guys are slobbering makes me wish we were allowed to make "buy my shit" threads so I could get rid of ultra rare and very valuable shit I have, much of which was never available to the general public. But I understand that the entire forums would eventually be overwhelmed with threads like that if we could

Though now that I think of it, why don't we have a sub-forum for that? A buy my shit subforum would be great for gaming stuff and I'm sure a lot of great stories would come from it. Just as an example of the kind of stuff I have that I'd be willing to part with for the right price, I have an amazing hand made, half-scale spider head monster from Doom 3 that is the only one of its kind, or a launch day DS signed by Reggie, Koji Kondo, the voice of Mario, and a Myamoto signature skin on it only given out at E3.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/