As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Normal Temp. for Graphics Card

anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it.Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been looking all over the internet and everyone seems to think something different. I have a nvidia geforce 8400, and I've seen that it's normal for the card to go up to 120C during gaming, and then some people say never over 90C, and then even some people freak out and say no no never above 60C. So, I have no idea what to believe. After playing Left 4 Dead, my card can be at 90C. So does anyone know what a safe temp. is? At what point should I rip the case off and start blowing on my card before it catches fire?

Steam: offday
anoffday on

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    anoffday wrote: »
    I've been looking all over the internet and everyone seems to think something different. I have a nvidia geforce 8400, and I've seen that it's normal for the card to go up to 120C during gaming, and then some people say never over 90C, and then even some people freak out and say no no never above 60C. So, I have no idea what to believe. After playing Left 4 Dead, my card can be at 90C. So does anyone know what a safe temp. is? At what point should I rip the case off and start blowing on my card before it catches fire?

Not too sure on the latest cards, but a general rule is that graphics cards may idle up to around 60C, and don't kick their fan on till ~80C. At ~120 they'll start to auto throttle to prevent damage (so there's no point trying to save your card, it'll do it itself - at which point you should stop playing games and think about cleaning it. Obviously you don't want to be around 120C.

90C sounds fairly reasonable if you're not having any issues with it.

Rook on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Holy SHIT, yeah 120 is very bad for your card. Try to get around 80 at most, but I like to keep mine at about 70-ish.

urahonky on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is it a fanless model? I know they made some of those that way. It does seem to be running hot, but 90 isn't going to smoke the thing out (it might lower the longevity of the card). 120 is starting to get ridiculous.

If it doesn't have a fan, put a fan on it. If it does have a fan, look at improving your airflow or adding a bigger fan. Also make sure the fan is spinning properly. Sometimes a fan will slow down significantly, but at first glance it looks okay. If you can see some wobble while it's spinning you need a new fan.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's a brand new card. The idle temp. is about 70C, and I just bought a new case fan and it's blowing right on it, but it doesn't seem to be helping that much.

anoffday on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    unless you're overclocking the card, don't worry about it

the cards are designed to work at default speeds in even the crappiest OEM heat boxes (2 yr old Dells, etc.) without any trouble

same with CPU heatsinks, etc.

you only need to concern yourself with the temperature if you're overlocking (heat affects stability at speeds over stock), or if the fan on the card is too loud for you (some sound like hairdryers at the fastest speeds)

illig on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    illig wrote: »
    unless you're overclocking the card, don't worry about it

the cards are designed to work at default speeds in even the crappiest OEM heat boxes (2 yr old Dells, etc.) without any trouble

same with CPU heatsinks, etc.

you only need to concern yourself with the temperature if you're overlocking (heat affects stability at speeds over stock), or if the fan on the card is too loud for you (some sound like hairdryers at the fastest speeds)

That assumes that the card is operating at the correct temperature to begin with. If the card's heatsink or heatsink/fan assembly was poorly installed, it can prevent the GPU from cooling properly. I'd recommend contacting the support email for the manufacturer of the Card and asking them what temperature that model of card should run at.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    Chef_BoomChef_Boom Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    120, holy hotness! Not even sexy hot..just hot rofl. Although 90 is hot it's alright from what I heard. Believe Nvidia cards start underclocking/turning off stream processors at 105C

Chef_Boom on
  • Options
    RNEMESiS42RNEMESiS42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My GeForce 9800 GTX+ idles at 42C and I only have three silent 120 mm fans in my computer...how are people idling at 70?

RNEMESiS42 on
    my apartment looks upside down from there
    water spirals the wrong way out the sink
  • Options
    Chef_BoomChef_Boom Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    RNEMESiS42 wrote: »
    My GeForce 9800 GTX+ idles at 42C and I only have three silent 120 mm fans in my computer...how are people idling at 70?

I also have a 9800 GTX+ idling at aprox. 40C. It's because of the dual slot cooling RNEMESiS. My old single slot 8600 GT used to idle at 65 and go to 85 under load.

Chef_Boom on
  • Options
    RNEMESiS42RNEMESiS42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Really? I didn't think that would make much of a difference. I expected it to be running hotter than my older cards.

RNEMESiS42 on
    my apartment looks upside down from there
    water spirals the wrong way out the sink
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd say over 90c and you have a problem, or its a rediculously hot card. See how other people with the same card fare. Check the ususal suspects (dust, lack of air flow, maybe a bad heatsink).

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ok, so I have this NVIDIA Monitor thing up and there's a section for fans, but which fan is the one on my card? There's System, Nforce, and Aux2. Anyone know which one is the one on my card?

anoffday on