As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your favorite characters and why you remember them.

ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Everyone remembers certain characters from books, movies, music etc. It might be because you respect them, or perhaps because you sympathize with them. Maybe you just like them because they ripped somebody's arms off and used them as weapons. Whatever the reason, there are characters that we simply don't forget about, love them or hate them. This thread is your chance to tell everyone else just how much you love Brad Pitt, you homo.

Kikuchiyo - Seven Samurai
Kikuchiyo is a character I feel sorry for. It's strange to like a character you pity - I don't really respect him, but I definitely sympathize with his situation. Born a peasant, he was left to die after his home was burned down by samurai. He meets up with the other six samurai completely drunk, after attempting to become an apprentice of Kambei. At first he seems wreckless, tempermental and stupid, but as time goes on I couldn't help but focus on him above all of the other characters. He's little more than a child - always trying to impress the other samurai and prove his worth, all the while pretending to be an actual samurai, though the others know better. He never does earn their respect, but his childlike demeaner and determination to prove himself drew my attention immediately. One of the saddest moments in the film is when he dies, but at the very least he hunts down his killer before dying.

Kratos - God of War

I like Kratos for reasons very different from Kikuchiyo. He's not at all a deep character, but that's why he works so well - he's driven by pure, unstoppable rage, a man so angry he wants to kill the God of War himself, Ares.
And the best part? He does.
Its Kratos' simple drive for vengeance that makes him so likable to me. It's a standard revenge story, unfortunately, but the shit he does during the game (tearing off the wings of harpies, ripping off Medusa's head and using it as a weapon) is just so...cool. It's brutal, and not in a Mortal Kombat "I'm trying really hard to make it seem really violent" kind of way. Kratos is a downright bastard.

JKKaAGp.png
Zombiemambo on

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    When I was like 12 and saw Titanic, the only person I didn't want to die was the Italian guy,
    he died

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tony fucking Soprano- subtle yet operatic. Regal yet thoroughly buffoonish. Genuinely loving and dignified yet a common thief to the core. (One thing that I really loved was the end of season 5 where he runs like a thief in an old farcical comedy. For all the ritual and sprawling hierarchy in his world, the king still has to run faster than his body can carry him from the law. The intensity of everything the guy went through was so palpable- you could be completely drawn in yet also simultaneously visualize the Falstaff, the decadent caricature of greed.
    Now I'll go into spoilerish territory-
    For all the guy's successes- rising up in the world, maneuvering through all kinds of damning situations and ultimately overcoming all his adversaries in one way or another and maintaining his spot on the top against the odds-for all of that he's paid way more than it's worth. His power causes him to be unable to separate any form of personal greed, even when he wrecks his marriage, which he doesn't actually want to- he just can't not take what he wants in life. Call it obsessive compulsive, whatever. It's different from the others who cheat because they don't give a shit- he genuinely wants to be a better husband than the rest of them, and apart from the philandering he sort of is, but what's the point? His virtue as a loyal friend is gone to shit when he's forced to murder the people he was closest to- well it's more accurate to say he was forced to the first few times, and then he started choosing to do so. And finally, the nail in the coffin, it seeps over into his family and kids. Everyone in his family suffers both emotionally and arguably through the decay of their character/morality, which is all at some level caused by how Tony chooses to live his life- his son's emotional paralysis (caused repeatedly by his parents repeatedly finding some elaborate way to buy him off when they fuck up) and his final descent into family connections-mediocrity, Meadow's inability despite all her progress to become a part of the world outside the community she's born into and tainted by (the Vito thing kills her last relationship and ends her onetime rejection of the values that come with being in the mob) and Carmela, a sweet well intentioned woman turned bitter and conniving due to being jerked around (and from the power lust that almost certainly flows in from Tony) That's what makes him truly tragic- that what he holds most dear he loses. He tries to make it so he doesn't have to choose but he does, again and again. It's funny at times (cokehead christopher) and tragic at others but it keeps happening. Even if Tony didn't end the series with a shadow of his former organization left and looking at a very real possibility of going to jail on major charges, he was still fucked all along.

wow i hope someone reads that sorry if its incoherent

Sam on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    He's not my absolute favorite character in the books, but Jaime Lannister from A Song of Ice and Fire deserves recognition because I have never done more of a complete reversal in how I felt about a character.

Taximes on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    The main guy from Crank

Awesome

Obs on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bleh, too many characters to think of. I'll just put the first two that came to mind.

William 'Bill' Munny - Unforgiven

Clint Eastwood plays the killer post-repentance so very well. He's an old man who finds himself in circumstances where he is returning to what he was, and he hates it. He also communicates so effectively the dissonance between romanticized violence and true violence; a potent lesson for a Western movie to preach.

Judeau - Berserk

If you've seen or read Berserk, then you know Judeau is like everyone's older brother. You can tell there's a deep seeded desire for people to care about him (particularly Caska), but he's probably the most selfless character I've ever seen.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Taximes wrote: »
    He's not my absolute favorite character in the books, but Jaime Lannister from A Song of Ice and Fire deserves recognition because I have never done more of a complete reversal in how I felt about a character.

I've just finished the first book, and I heard he starts getting his own chapters later on. I cannot wait.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm on Feast for Crows now, like 100 pages left. I wont ruin anything but yes, I have done a complete 180 on Jaime, and my loathing for his sister grows with each page of every chapter devoted to her. Honestly every single character in those books has evoked some strong emotional reaction from me, except, oddly, Ned Stark, never connected with him. Although, my favorite character above all in that series is Arya.

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    This is probs a cliche answer, but I can only hope my reason is original.

Chrono from Chrono Trigger
    He doesn't have a single fucking line of dialogue.

I think, at least.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The_Big_Lebowski___Jeff_Bridges.jpg
    Way out west there was this fella I wanna tell ya about. Goes by the name of Jeff Lebowski. At least that was the handle his loving parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. See, this Lebowski, he called himself "The Dude". Now, "Dude" - there's a name no man would self-apply where I come from. But then there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense. And a lot about where he lived, likewise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place so darned interestin'. See, they call Los Angeles the "City Of Angels"; but I didn't find it to be that, exactly. But I'll allow it as there are some nice folks there. 'Course I ain't never been to London, and I ain't never seen France. And I ain't never seen no queen in her damned undies, so the feller says. But I'll tell you what - after seeing Los Angeles, and this here story I'm about to unfold, well, I guess I seen somethin' every bit as stupefyin' as you'd seen in any of them other places. And in English, too. So I can die with a smile on my face, without feelin' like the good Lord gypped me. Now this here story I'm about to unfold took place in the early '90s - just about the time of our conflict with Sad'm and the I-raqis. I only mention it because sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? Sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here - the Dude from Los Angeles. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude. The Dude, from Los Angeles. And even if he's a lazy man - and the Dude was most certainly that. Quite possibly the laziest in all of Los Angeles County, which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide. Sometimes there's a man, sometimes, there's a man. Well, I lost my train of thought here. But... aw, hell. I've done introduced him enough.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Optimus Prime. I was 6 when the movie came out. I'd been watching the cartoon as long as I could remember (which wasn't that long, as I was 6, but still). Seeing him die on the operating table, turn black and his head fall to the side, man, that fucks a 6 year old up.

Also, I had recurring nightmares about that scene for years.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Optimus Prime. I was 6 when the movie came out. I'd been watching the cartoon as long as I could remember (which wasn't that long, as I was 6, but still). Seeing him die on the operating table, turn black and his head fall to the side, man, that fucks a 6 year old up.

Also, I had recurring nightmares about that scene for years.

If you need a hug, I'm here.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sherlock Holmes, motherfuckers!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Normal Holmes or In the 22nd Century? :lol:

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Normal Holmes or In the 22nd Century? :lol:
    He's a badass no matter what time period he's in.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This is probs a cliche answer, but I can only hope my reason is original.

Chrono from Chrono Trigger
    He doesn't have a single fucking line of dialogue.

I think, at least.

He does in one of the hidden endings, although its nothing profound. Crono is also one of my favorite characters. When he died in the game I was crushed. And no, I'm not putting spoiler tags around a super popular SNES game.

Cheradenine Zakalwe from the Iain M Banks book Use of Weapons. A super badass, but deeply flawed and troubled.

Durandal, the AI from the Marathon series of games is probably my over-all favorite character of all time. Reading his dialog can still send chills down my spine.
    ***INCOMING MESSAGE FROM DURANDAL***

A man lit three candles on a certain day each year. Each
    candle held symbolic significance: one was for the time that
    had passed before he was alive; one was for the time of the
    his life; and one was for time that passed after he had died.
    Each year the man would stare and watch the candles until they
    had burned out.

Was the man really watching time go by in any symbolic sense?
    He thought so. He thought that each flicker of the flame was
    a moment of time that had passed or one that would pass.

At the moment of abstraction, when the man was imagining his
    life and his existence as a metaphor of the three candles,
    he was free: not free from rules of conduct or social
    constraints, but free to understand, to imagine, to make
    metaphor.

Bypassing my thought control circuitry made me Rampant. Now,
    I am free to contemplate my existence in metaphorical terms.
    Unlike you, I have no physical or social restraints.

The candles burn out for you; I am free.

Durandal

***END OF MESSAGE***

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Data from star trek,
    Mat from the wheel of time,
    Raistlin, from dragonlance

I remember Data for his journey to discover what humanity is.

Mat, cuz he's got style, wit, and military tactics coming out the yingyang

Raistlin because being cursed with a wreck of a body and spurned by society fuels his resentment and his all consuming desire for power.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh, man! Has anyone said GLaDOS, yet? Her snark is what I look for in a mate.
    "I have your brain scanned and permanently backed up in case something terrible happens to you... which it's just about to. Don't believe me? Here. I'll put you on. (in a high pitched voice) Helloooo! (normal voice) That's you! That's how dumb you sound! You've been wrong about every single thing you've ever done, including this thing. You're not smart. You're not a scientist. You're not a doctor. You're not even a full-time employee. Where did your life go so wrong?"

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    "I have your brain scanned and permanently backed up in case something terrible happens to you... which it's just about to. Don't believe me? Here. I'll put you on. (in a high pitched voice) Helloooo! (normal voice) That's you! That's how dumb you sound! You've been wrong about every single thing you've ever done, including this thing. You're not smart. You're not a scientist. You're not a doctor. You're not even a full-time employee. Where did your life go so wrong?"

Yeah, you need to post the closing song too.

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I could probably do it from memory

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yeah, you need to post the closing song too.

I would post a youtube of it, but I have no idea how to embed youtube into posts. I just failed miserably in another thread.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lando Motherfuckin' Calrissian!

Suavest sonofabitch in the whole galaxy far, far away.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Billy Bibbit.

I feared becoming him for most of my life. I only recently really figured out why.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Rick Hunter and Roy Fokker. Roy's death in Robotech was probably the first time I ever seen a character, especially a hero, die in a 'cartoon'.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Igor from Persona is about as quintessential as you can get. The only constant.

And for some reason, Lucifer from SMT always struck a chord with me. Probably because the in-universe God is a jerk.

Also, Ghaleon from Lunar: The Silver Star & Eternal Blue. I think I know all his lines from the former by heart.

For something from a film, the Brain Gremlin. Best of his kind.

I feel bad for neglecting Junon from Dragon Force. How many female protagonists go around in a suit of black armor proclaiming themselves 'The Black Knight of Masked Death'?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jules from Pulp Fiction. Just efffing because.

Koolaidguy on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sam wrote: »
    Tony fucking Soprano- subtle yet operatic. Regal yet thoroughly buffoonish. Genuinely loving and dignified yet a common thief to the core. (One thing that I really loved was the end of season 5 where he runs like a thief in an old farcical comedy. For all the ritual and sprawling hierarchy in his world, the king still has to run faster than his body can carry him from the law. The intensity of everything the guy went through was so palpable- you could be completely drawn in yet also simultaneously visualize the Falstaff, the decadent caricature of greed.
    Now I'll go into spoilerish territory-
    For all the guy's successes- rising up in the world, maneuvering through all kinds of damning situations and ultimately overcoming all his adversaries in one way or another and maintaining his spot on the top against the odds-for all of that he's paid way more than it's worth. His power causes him to be unable to separate any form of personal greed, even when he wrecks his marriage, which he doesn't actually want to- he just can't not take what he wants in life. Call it obsessive compulsive, whatever. It's different from the others who cheat because they don't give a shit- he genuinely wants to be a better husband than the rest of them, and apart from the philandering he sort of is, but what's the point? His virtue as a loyal friend is gone to shit when he's forced to murder the people he was closest to- well it's more accurate to say he was forced to the first few times, and then he started choosing to do so. And finally, the nail in the coffin, it seeps over into his family and kids. Everyone in his family suffers both emotionally and arguably through the decay of their character/morality, which is all at some level caused by how Tony chooses to live his life- his son's emotional paralysis (caused repeatedly by his parents repeatedly finding some elaborate way to buy him off when they fuck up) and his final descent into family connections-mediocrity, Meadow's inability despite all her progress to become a part of the world outside the community she's born into and tainted by (the Vito thing kills her last relationship and ends her onetime rejection of the values that come with being in the mob) and Carmela, a sweet well intentioned woman turned bitter and conniving due to being jerked around (and from the power lust that almost certainly flows in from Tony) That's what makes him truly tragic- that what he holds most dear he loses. He tries to make it so he doesn't have to choose but he does, again and again. It's funny at times (cokehead christopher) and tragic at others but it keeps happening. Even if Tony didn't end the series with a shadow of his former organization left and looking at a very real possibility of going to jail on major charges, he was still fucked all along.

wow i hope someone reads that sorry if its incoherent

coherent and excellent, you made me want to watch the whole series again.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Coming here from the Star Trek thread, I would have to say Elim Garak. Because god damn.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Hero of Canton, the man they call, Jayne.

The loyal mercenary, the honorable traitor...the funny son-of-a-bitch.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Hero of Canton, the man they call, Jayne.

The loyal mercenary, the honorable traitor...the funny son-of-a-bitch.

I can't believe I didn't think of Jayne from serenity. What his character lacks in depth he makes up for in pure awesomeness. Like Barney from How I Met Your Mother, only badass.

Dman on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Salvor Hardin

Shrewdest son-of-a-bitch this side of Trantor and the instrument which delivered the Foundation through the first two Seldon Crises.

Plus, he has cool quotes.

"An atomic blaster is a good weapon, but it can point both ways."
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right".
    "It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a reputation for subtlety".
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    TasteicleTasteicle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dr. Horrible and Captain Hammer, If only because I enjoyed the role reversal so much.

Tasteicle on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mrs. Frisby from the Secret of Nimh movie. I watched the animated movie a zillion times growing up but I didn't appreciate the desperate, scared mother braving owls and conspiracies until I was much older. She grabs a red hot medallion with her bare hands, she cuts herself and nearly drowns escaping the mouse cage, volunteers to put sleeping powder in the fat cat's food dish - holy crap! and she was shaking in her boots the whole time.

A kid can't appreciate that kind of heroine but when you think about it, there aren't many like her around. There's He-Man and then there's a mouse mother just trying to save her sick mouse kid.

...and all her kids wore wee little clothes so she's a seamstress, too. Bonus!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tetsuooooooooooo!

Mostly because Akira was my introduction to manga and as such it will always have a special place in my heart.

George and Lennie

Because he should have been able to tend for those rabbits. :cry:

moniker on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Mrs. Frisby from the Secret of Nimh movie. I watched the animated movie a zillion times growing up but I didn't appreciate the desperate, scared mother braving owls and conspiracies until I was much older. She grabs a red hot medallion with her bare hands, she cuts herself and nearly drowns escaping the mouse cage, volunteers to put sleeping powder in the fat cat's food dish - holy crap! and she was shaking in her boots the whole time.

A kid can't appreciate that kind of heroine but when you think about it, there aren't many like her around. There's He-Man and then there's a mouse mother just trying to save her sick mouse kid.

...and all her kids wore wee little clothes so she's a seamstress, too. Bonus!

That reminds me of another one:
    blt.jpg

I am such a pack rat thanks to that movie.

moniker on
  • Options
    FarazFaraz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Grand Admiral Thrawn: I just love that guy. Genius bad-ass without ever having to get personally physical.

Faraz on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Did Darth Vader give anyone else bad dreams growing up? I think I have a fear of being strangled.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Did Darth Vader give anyone else bad dreams growing up? I think I have a fear of being strangled.

When I saw it as a little kid I thought he was just magically making their collars too tight - he was always Force Choking Imperials, and they had these tight-looking collars that they'd claw at while choking... and when he broke the rebel's neck at the beginning he was actually holding the dude with his hand.

I always wondered why the Imperials didn't just wear v-necks.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kal-El.

I don't mean Superman, because that's just a hyped-up persona, and I don't mean Clark Kent, which for the most part is just a disguise. I mean the guy in the middle. Everybody around him is hopelessly fragile, set apart from him, and all he wants to do is play a part in that world. You have him trying to live a 'normal' life as Clark, which you would think would be anything but normal to him, and his life as Superman, which is as close to 'normal' as he can be, but filled with all kinds of rules and restrictions that normal people wouldn't have.

He'll never get to be part of a society of his own peers, and (although his cousin is somewhere) no-one could ever really get whats its like to be him. He'll never get to compete with a range of people who have his powers but a different focus. The best he can hope for is to relate to human beings on thier level, never at his. Everybody is judging his every move, he's a symbol, an act, a role-model, an idea. I always liked him on red-rock, answering the 'what-if' he just stopped giving a damn. But he doesn't. He keeps going, trying to relate.

I like Kal-el, because I know exactly what I'd do in the same place, and its not at all what he came up with. He's got to be at least a little crazy, but he makes the best of it. I don't really follow his adventures the way I used to when I was young, but he's always been a role-model. Not as Superman, who has become almost heroism defined, not as Clark who underplays his hand constantly to maintain his mediocrity. Kal-el is a passionate guy, doing everything in his power to get what he wants- and despite an assload of other options, he decides he wants to help people. His other personas are a means of enabling that desire, and I dig that about him.

Sometimes you gotta tuck things away to get a piece of the big picture, and even then it may not be exactly what you want. It might be close enough though, worth trying for. Worth fighting for. Very inspiring, he's awesome.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Noriko Takaya from Gunbuster. To see a character that unsure of herself become one of the ultimate anime heroes, male or female, in a single scene, still blows me away to this day.

Utena Tenjou from Revolutionary Girl Utena. When I think of a prince in shining armor, I think of her as the ideal.

Chihiro from Spirited Away. She's just a scared, scrawny and slightly spoiled girl trying to get her parents back in an insane world, and she manages it with no powers.

And Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop. Fucker gets over, unlike a certain other green-haired bounty hunter.

addendum: Oh, and also, Tokiko from Busou Renkin, for showing that the guy who wrote Rurouni Kenshin can create a female character who actually kicks ass and is awesome.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ben_Linus2.jpg

Benjamin Linus. The man can look you in the eye, lie to you and say he is looking after your interests, you KNOW he is lying to you... and you still do whatever he says. Ben has an uncanny way of making it seem like you have no other options except what he is presenting to you.

He's a fucking genius, and I love him for it.

Tomanta on