As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Virtual-On XBLA -- Robots With Big Guns - "PA Virtual On" Official PA Group Tag

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    BTW, if any good Raiden players want to take me under their wing and train me to kick ass, I'm more than willing to be humbled.

One question: I know you're NEVER EVER EVER supposed to use backwards dash, and hence, back dashing attacks, but Raiden's back dashing attacks I tried out in practice mode seem kind of baddass, like the laser cage. Are their situations where these actually get used?

One trick I remember a good raiden player using was unlocking from his target and shooting his double beam shoulder cannons in the area where he knew a player was going to dash into.

Yeah, that's sort of essential for playing him... As well as using ground bombs to get them in the air and lasering them as they land. Been doing that since the original... I mostly need to learn how to use the turbo attacks effectively, and learn how to dash vector properly. Thanks for the tip, though, it would be very very helpful if I didn't already know.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Actually, it wouldn't be too hard to make twinsticks work, the trick would be having the controllers for it. hmmm. I really don't want to hack up my saturn/dc sticks but this game might leave me with no choice in the matter.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well I dl'ed the trial and much as I like the concept of it, I can't really enjoy it, much less without Gold. It feels a little too rigid for me, and trying to replicate the constant dashing (I'm not even bothering with Jump Cancelling) shit I saw on the YT videos was tough.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Airan wrote: »
    Well I dl'ed the trial and much as I like the concept of it, I can't really enjoy it, much less without Gold. It feels a little too rigid for me, and trying to replicate the constant dashing (I'm not even bothering with Jump Cancelling) shit I saw on the YT videos was tough.

Its much easier with twin sticks which is probably what they are using in the video. Its really hard to get the feel for the combat initially, and no gold? that's certainly a deal breaker there. I understand completely.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, since there's no local play I can't imagine investing in this without playing it online.

Well, I mean I could because it's the best game ever, but I can see why less fanatical people aren't interested.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I was sucked into the hype, and it looked really fast and frantic and very fun, I played Guilty Gear XX religiously back then so I could handle all this timing shit given enough practice, but the pad controls simply don't feel intuitive enough (2 turbo buttons, what for?). I also found out that only dash attacks locked-on, and even with LB/RB to rotate I couldn't quite co-ordinate my fingers well :p

Is there a wiki or fansite with detailed explanations of the game mechanics and player tricks? I remember reading about Dash Vectors and it was pretty interesting.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I was sucked into the hype, and it looked really fast and frantic and very fun, I played Guilty Gear XX religiously back then so I could handle all this timing shit given enough practice, but the pad controls simply don't feel intuitive enough (2 turbo buttons, what for?). I also found out that only dash attacks locked-on, and even with LB/RB to rotate I couldn't quite co-ordinate my fingers well :p

Is there a wiki or fansite with detailed explanations of the game mechanics and player tricks? I remember reading about Dash Vectors and it was pretty interesting.

Jumping makes you turn to face your opponent. Jumping and then crouching will cancel your jump.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh well would you look at that. I noticed that I turned to my opponent whenver I jumped but I never thought much of it. Though that was before I saw there was a Jump cancel button :p

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh well would you look at that. I noticed that I turned to my opponent whenver I jumped but I never thought much of it. Though that was before I saw there was a Jump cancel button :p

The game has a very brief tutorial that runs you through the very basics of things, such as the fact that jumping makes you lock on to someone. Thus, jumping and then jump canceling right away is a great way to quickly lock onto someone.

The reason for there being a left and a right turbo is that different moves gain different properties depending on if you used left or right turbo.

There are unlockable characters right? What's the best way to unlock more mechs?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »

The game has a very brief tutorial that runs you through the very basics of things, such as the fact that jumping makes you lock on to someone. Thus, jumping and then jump canceling right away is a great way to quickly lock onto someone.

The reason for there being a left and a right turbo is that different moves gain different properties depending on if you used left or right turbo.

There are unlockable characters right? What's the best way to unlock more mechs?

There is only one unlockable character: Ajim. You unlock him by fighting him in Arcade Mode. To lure him out, you need to win by time-out, possibly several times, though sometimes just once can piss him off enough to show up (Ironic, considering most high-level matches are won via time out). When you face him, he'll kill your next opponent right at the start of the match (You can tell he's coming because the HUD will indicate your opponent's above you when the round is starting)

Once he's unlocked, he can only be played in single-player by holding Right Turbo while your "cursor" is over random select and picking him. (I think it's right turbo, I know it's either one or both turbos)

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I tried the Twin Stick control setup, but I can't play all that well with it. I'm already used to the standard controls.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DC VMU = Win. It even has the logo.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It would be a little ridiculous to take out the VMU and keep the dreamcasts on every VR's back.

And imagine the fan uproar if they took them out, or worse, replaced them with 360s.

God, I can imagine it... When you die, it RRoD's.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Alright, since nobody else took the initiative, I started a group-tag.

Add "PA Virtual On" if you play online.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Group tag?

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Group tag?
    Basically somebody creates a Live account and then everyone friends it with the intention of creating a list. The creator logs on to it every now and then and approves friend requests to add them to the community's "list". From there you just use "View Friends" on the tag and you can instantly get a good idea of potential Virtual On buddies. At least that's my understanding of it (I've only used it with the PA HD Remix group).

And I'm not 100% sure on this but I think you can add it and use "View Friends" without even being approved. I'll definitely be joining in on the fun at some point but I'm stuck in a rut like Daedalus until I figure out a cool twin stick solution.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Played a bit last night. Never got around to playing it much on the Dreamcast, so the relatively slower versions on the Saturn are my starting points.

Game is super fast, as expected. Only got to play two rounds in arcade, and lost both, before I had to head out of the house.

Add me if you're up for some gaming. Gamertag is Sheeeeeeep.

I'll add the PA group later tonight.

Sheep on
  • Options
    ShaquarShaquar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, I just tried the demo and as far as I get it's a a 3D Fighting Game with mechs, right?

Is there a lot of competition online? I don't really care for the single player mode but versus another human I think it might be fun. I'm kinda on the fence there.

Shaquar on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Shaquar wrote: »
    So, I just tried the demo and as far as I get it's a a 3D Fighting Game with mechs, right?

Is there a lot of competition online? I don't really care for the single player mode but versus another human I think it might be fun. I'm kinda on the fence there.
    Actually getting a connection established is a pain in the ass right now, but the netcode is good and there's always someone online. I think the ranking mode leaderboards had 13000+ total players last time I checked.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Actually getting a connection established is a pain in the ass right now, but the netcode is good and there's always someone online. I think the ranking mode leaderboards had 13000+ total players last time I checked.

Thanks.

Do I have to go through endless single player to unlock new mechs or is everything available from the start?

Edit: By "endless" I mean more than a few hours.

Shaquar on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Thanks.

Do I have to go through endless single player to unlock new mechs or is everything available from the start?

There's only one secret character (Ajim), and I'm not even sure you have to go through the normal unlock process in order to use him online in this version. I went ahead and did it before even touching the versus mode, but other people say it's not necessary. (The normal unlock process is to win 1-to-4 consecutive matches in arcade mode by time-out, and then defeat him when he appears.)

There are also prototype versions of Temjin and Raiden, but I'm not sure how to get those. The official page has some info on them.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, I downloaded it, and so far the achievements are not that hard to get. I played a game online,and it seems to work well, and in fact I won my first battle.

I'm still getting use to the new controls though.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Thanks.

There's only one secret character (Ajim), and I'm not even sure you have to go through the normal unlock process in order to use him online in this version. I went ahead and did it before even touching the versus mode, but other people say it's not necessary. (The normal unlock process is to win 1-to-4 consecutive matches in arcade mode by time-out, and then defeat him when he appears.)

There are also prototype versions of Temjin and Raiden, but I'm not sure how to get those. The official page has some info on them.

Thanks for the link but my Japanese is a bit rusty right now :P

Anyways, I think I'm going to get this tomorrow. A game where I can fight mechs with other mechs is a pretty easy sell to me and I need to do something else besides street fighting.

Shaquar on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Man, fuck Tangram in the ass. I can beat everyone else, including Ajim, but I can't manage to take Tangram down inside the time limit.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Man, fuck Tangram in the ass. I can beat everyone else, including Ajim, but I can't manage to take Tangram down inside the time limit.
    Use your right turbo weapons. One of those usually does a lot of damage to him.

He's also only really vulnerable when his eye is exposed.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I figured out the eye part, but I was too busy dashing around to use my turbo weapons... Thanks.

BTW, does anyone else have an issue where if you hold a turbo, your weapons sometimes won't fire unless you take a step in any direction or crouch first?

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So I finally figured I had enough practice to play online... Played 3 japanese guys, first guy kicked my ass to the moon and back, second guy I won one round but lost the match, and the third guy I squeaked out a victory in round 3.

Then I had to wipe the layer of sweat off of my controller and step outside to have a cigarette while my heart calmed down.

God I love this game.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    An exchange between me and a Japanese player after some fierce Fei-Yen vs Raiden matches:

Him: Nice Fei.
    Me: ありがとう。 [Thanks.]
    Him: Moreover, let's fight.

I love this.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So wait, you play Raiden? Mind giving me some practice sparring sometime?

Edit: I can't read.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have always loved watching this game. I've even enjoyed having my ass handed to me in the arcades for the few times I was able to play it. So I went ahead and bought the game, and it's pretty dang fun so far.

A few questions, though. First, what's generally better in terms of response time, control wise? Double stick, or the standard controls? Second, is there a guide somewhere that breaks things down 360-wise? In terms of specific controls and such? I'm feeling like I'm missing a lot of depth, and the tutorial videos seemed lacking and way too fast.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm having a rough time warming up to the controls in the demo... maybe I'm just too used to the arcade version?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm so used to the stock DC controls now that anything else would feel like more effort for the same result. I still don't even rotate, ever.
    A few questions, though. First, what's generally better in terms of response time, control wise? Double stick, or the standard controls? Second, is there a guide somewhere that breaks things down 360-wise? In terms of specific controls and such? I'm feeling like I'm missing a lot of depth, and the tutorial videos seemed lacking and way too fast.
    I generally feel that the twin stick control method is useless unless you actually have modded twin sticks. Dealing with two dead zones at the same time is, imo, more trouble than it's worth. If you're really used to the arcade controls though, I suppose it's worth trying.

I use standard controls with rotation mapped to LB/RB.

If you need a guide, GameFAQs has some decent ones for the DC version. The standard control mappings are pretty much the same, the only difference being that "Start" on the DC is now "Back" on the 360.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Man, I hate it when I get a streak of crazy Japanese Temjin players with 200 wins and 10 losses.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Competent Bal-Bados players are kind of scary.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I tried the demo and killed the AI opponents in seconds.

Are the battles really supposed to be that short?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I tried the demo and killed the AI opponents in seconds.

Are the battles really supposed to be that short?
    I've heard that the demo sets the difficulty to Very Easy, so the AI isn't going to put up much of a fight. (The AI isn't that good in general.) A couple solid close combat strikes will generally wreck the shit out of the opponent. (In fact, the handful of score attack videos I've downloaded all follow the same general strategy: use a freeze move to lock the opponent in place, then destroy him with a 3-hit combo.)

It's also worth noting that Arcade mode matches default to a single round, while versus mode matches default to first to 2 wins (and can be changed to first to 5 wins). Furthermore, a lot of good players are skilled enough at dodging and maneuvering to the point where winning by time-over is pretty common.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I just went through a quick romp of arcade mode to unlock Prototype Temjin & Raiden for the hell of it.

1) Very Easy settings on the 360 version are retardedly easy. The enemy basically waits long enough to give you a free hit every round, and Bradtos & Tangram seem to have less health than normal.

2) The prototype VRs are insanely nerfed. No air dashes, no changing direction mid-dash, no turbo weapons. Seems even more limited than 10/80 SP.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    This game is so awesome.

BAL-Series is so awesome.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    This game is so awesome.

BAL-Series is so awesome.

Add the group tag so we can practice sometime!

So far me and SixFortyFive are the only ones on the tag. We're lonely!

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I played like ten games last night, and I kept hooking up with players way beyond my skill level. One guy just ran around shooting drill missles at me...killed me right quick. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!