As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why isn't war illegal?

124»

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    Tastyfish wrote:
    Why isn't war illegal?

Because there is no source of law above the level of nation states to make it illegal.

Yes there is. There is just no manner in which to enforce that except law at the will of the Hegemon.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    See, a country can exist in more than just the states of War and Peace. There is also Oppression, in which you aren't technically fighting a country, but they have taken over your country and are enslaving you to do their will. Generally speaking, most people consider that Peace is better than War, but War is better than Oppression, if only because it can eventually turn into Peace. Thus, when faced with either Oppression or War (for Peace is not always an option), people often chose war.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Goumindong wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    Tastyfish wrote:
    Why isn't war illegal?

Because there is no source of law above the level of nation states to make it illegal.

Yes there is. There is just no manner in which to enforce that except law at the will of the Hegemon.

Unenforceable law is not law.

Shinto on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    Goumindong wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    Tastyfish wrote:
    Why isn't war illegal?

But is is enforceable. Just not against anyone the Hegemon wants it enforced against.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Goumindong wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    Goumindong wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    Tastyfish wrote:
    Why isn't war illegal?

But is is enforceable. Just not against anyone the Hegemon wants it enforced against.
    Whatever it is, it is most definitely semantics.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.