As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TV/Monitor conversion

VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Basically, right now I have an old (10 years, almost) 25" Tv and a 21" CRT monitor. Is it possible to buy a new, probably smaller, LCD monitor and convert the CRT into a (HD?)TV somehow?

VishNub on

• Options
    ffordefforde Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You could get a Component Video to DVI cable, then smack a DVI to Analog RGB Monitor converter on the end to plug it into the monitor. I don't know how well this would work, but you should at the very least get a picture.

fforde on
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't think that cable would work with a monitor, as they work with RGB and Component uses... something else.

They also have this on the manufacturer's page, slightly hidden:

"The Cable Not Support your Computer Monitor Video Port"

Anyway, you can easily get a TV tuner for the monitor, and some of them are stand-alone. I'm not aware of any that support Component though, so it'd be just SDTV.
    There are also "VGA boxes" that can convert Component Video into RGB, but I'm not sure if there are ones that support HDTV resolutions, and I suspect they'd cost a lot.

Some bigger LCDs come with component inputs though:
    The cheapest one at newegg, and this one is the cheapest one that can display 1080p.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."