As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIMETIME ADVENTURES] T.V. Roleplaying: New season starting up!

• Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Most definitely watching this. I love free-form roleplay, and might have to get into the next one of these if it's PBP. Given my GMT timezone, a real-time thing is hard for me to manage with so many people on the other side of the pond being involved.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    robotsunshinerobotsunshine regular
    edited March 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    I must have missed it. What's the significance of putting stuff in red?

I assumed the red was just a cool visual cue that Lucifer is speaking, and an indication of what his voice sounds like. I guess Dac just followed suit because his character speaks in a raspy, demonic voice.

Also, shouldn't his scene go on a bit longer? And do other players help move the scene along, or is it completely up to the scene-maker?

I was thinking this too. The scene isn't supposed to end so soon, right? Unless we were doing some sort of quick opening montage-thing to introduce everyone's character.

Red = the devil was talking. I can see people getting that mixed up for just whoever's talking, so that's my fault.

The scene length is totally up to you. But maybe for game length sake they could be only a few back and forths, not as long as I was hyping it up as. Like, all players involved post once in each scene? So if you're in this scene and so am I, we both post once?

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Man, Robot, that was really good. I have a feeling that you failed at being a screen writer, so now here you are living out your dreams on the PA forum. Back handed compliment, yes, but still a compliment.

i am blushing, sir

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm still alive! I ended up partying more this weekend than I planned, and just got home. Working on the finishing touches for my scene.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hah! War gets a tiny army!

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Post coming in tonight!

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    great stuff so far guys, I'll have mine up sometime tonight assuming I can gnaw through these papers fast enough.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yes - everyone's been doing fantastic. I'm genuinely excited, and can't wait to see what happens next.

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    KratosmasterKratosmaster Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    *general appraisals for all*

Good stuff.

Kratosmaster on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Scene submitted! Oh, and I forgot about the submitting ideas here first, so I'll make sure to do that next time, sorry.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Zellpher wrote: »
    Scene submitted! Oh, and I forgot about the submitting ideas here first, so I'll make sure to do that next time, sorry.

not a problem. that's mostly for feedback and help. it's really cool if you can do it, but not the end of the world (ba-dum pssh!) if you don't. we are essentially your writer's workshop.

and, wow. this, all of this, is actually pretty good writing. loving the symbolism.

this is coming off really well! we're almost done with the first episode. for the entire season, everyone only needs to make ten posts - not as much as i was first thinking.

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    i was so tempted just now to go to the Game On thread and do a !Commercial Break post and do an advertisement for Dawn dish detergent

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I say you should go and do it anyway.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I was going to put Cut to commercials at the end of my scene, since it's effectively the middle, but didn't know if I should.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Actually, your last line is a perfect place to end that beat and cut to commercial.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ok, I edited it in there. Sell Away!

Zellpher on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Commercials come courtesy of my "The Big Idea" thread.

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is just plain cool.

i love freestyle Rps....

robotsunshine is my new favorite hero...

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Malkor is up next, followed by me, correct?

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    what

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Now, the thread to post in is HERE: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showt...26#post9301126. I'm going to go do the opening scene right now, which won't feature any of you guys. Then, each of you makes a scene according to the following order:

Dac Vin
    Malkor
    mightyspacepope
    Zellpher

Malkor
    mightspacepope
    Dac Vin
    Zellpher

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    OK.

End of the commercial break will start with Jane leaving class and being summoned to the Principal's office. The principal is supposed to be struggling, and I figure the secondary characters are a good way to introduce that.

I am going to make this scene very long I think.

Sam will come back at lunch, but instead of sitting with the popular kids with Jane (who's still at the principal's office) she'll sit with the "nerds" because they are talking about the Ardennes forest and Charlemagne (I've... been privy to this convo in real life :|)

Those dudes will eventually follow her into paintball I guess.

I would appreciate some ideas for bringing the other main characters in. Maybe to interject specific stuff relative to their ponies.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    OK.

End of the commercial break will start with Jane leaving class and being summoned to the Principal's office. The principal is supposed to be struggling, and I figure the secondary characters are a good way to introduce that.

I am going to make this scene very long I think.

Sam will come back at lunch, but instead of sitting with the popular kids with Jane (who's still at the principal's office) she'll sit with the "nerds" because they are talking about the Ardennes forest and Charlemagne (I've... been privy to this convo in real life :|)

Those dudes will eventually follow her into paintball I guess.

I would appreciate some ideas for bringing the other main characters in. Maybe to interject specific stuff relative to their ponies.

Cody could be causing problems for really any of them, and maybe lunch conversation swings to, Let's go fuck Cody up with paintball guns, and one of the Horsemen overhears? Maybe Death doesn't care so much about Cody, but maybe his girlfriend Allison will be with him, and that's Death's target?

(It's becoming more and more clear that Lucky and Cody will team up as some terrible dream team should the Horsemen not come through for Lucky)

Also, for Jane, I'm assuming you're taking control over her for whatever purposes she'll serve? Go ahead and just treat any NPC you need as a character of your own.

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    DONT WORRY CHAPS ILL HAVE IT UP TOMRROW

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The conversation between the principal and Lucky was all kinds of awesome.

What's everyone thinking, are we gonna do all five episodes of the season? Or just a single episode, leave it at that?

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

What's everyone thinking, are we gonna do all five episodes of the season? Or just a single episode, leave it at that?

Bollocks to that. If I have to, I will finish the goddamn episodes for you.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm down for whatever, but can we put the schedule in the OP plox.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I vote we go for the gusto. I'm down for all five. We just need to all be diligent about posting, even if it takes us a few days. We need to have the discipline to not just give up.

I'll update tonight. Thinking about bringing someone's character in with Grace. Any takers?

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Bollocks to that. If I have to, I will finish the goddamn episodes for you.

i really can't argue against that kind of support

maybe take a break between episodes, in case some aren't up for the constant pounding of scenes required?

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I vote we go for the gusto. I'm down for all five. We just need to all be diligent about posting, even if it takes us a few days. We need to have the discipline to not just give up.

I'll update tonight. Thinking about bringing someone's character in with Grace. Any takers?

We signed in for five full episodes, and I think we can hold it for that long.

Anyhow, about usable characters: I won't be using Lester this episode, so you can bring him in.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hey folks, I'm on the last stages of applying for a teaching program. I might have to wait until tomorrow to post.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Good luck!

Well, it seems like we're all in agreement, because I'm up for doing this thing until the end.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Question for all involved before I update:

In the first scene, the implication is that Lucky is about to kill Henrietta. Or am I off-base here?

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I don't think you're off base at all, but I didn't write the scene so...

Zellpher on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No, I'm not writing, but I am still involved.

Killing her is certainly not a stretch, but I would hope he'd only do so for a good reason. And by good I mean really awesome, evil as fuck reason.

There are certainly worse things he could do than kill someone, as doing so would potentially send her ("a good woman") to Paradise. Perhaps some horrible tragedy befalls someone in her family (did someone say Horseman?), and Lucky just happens to swoop in with a way to help her. For a price, naturally.

Edit:

As an addendum, something like the scenario I suggested would actually show to those who are just watching the show (reading the thread, whatever) without actually knowing what the series is about who Lucky the Janitor is.

This also makes Henrietta someone you can bring back in a later episode with a handy built-in backstory that can further move along the plot.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No, I'm not writing, but I am still involved.

Killing her is certainly not a stretch, but I would hope he'd only do so for a good reason. And by good I mean really awesome, evil as fuck reason.

There are certainly worse things he could do than kill someone, as doing so would potentially send her ("a good woman") to Paradise. Perhaps some horrible tragedy befalls someone in her family (did someone say Horseman?), and Lucky just happens to swoop in with a way to help her. For a price, naturally.

Edit:

As an addendum, something like the scenario I suggested would actually show to those who are just watching the show (reading the thread, whatever) without actually knowing what the series is about who Lucky the Janitor is.

This also makes Henrietta someone you can bring back in a later episode with a handy built-in backstory that can further move along the plot.

i was just going to kill her, but this is better, so go with this

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I went with the first option, since I thought it might be difficult to show/explain all of that without losing focus on the main plotline. If that's a problem, I could redo it, but this seems like an interesting route to go down.

I kept the scene open, so someone could interact with Grace here if they wanted to. If not, no biggie.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    the commercial of nuns and Pope playing baseball with the pretzels must forever be remembered

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Interacting with Grace wasn't one of my plans, but I'll try to do something about that murder in my part.

Outline should come soonish, with the actual scene [strike]this weekend[/strike] on tuesday.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Welcome to Dac's little workshop! The server went bazoongo for a while, but now it looks like I can post some outlines without anyone stopping me.

So, about ideas. In no actual order:

- Detailing Milos' overworking problem and his ability to get near anything he wants, and how it ties with Famine. (Modern take on the horsemen?)

-Introducing Gabriel/the librarian. We've spent a bunch of scenes about Satan/Lucky, I think it's time to meet someone nicer.

-Introducing Laura(Milos' very best friend). Don't want Milos to be known as "that lone creep who can get anything", you see. :P

-Doing something about the murder/Grace. And here's where I need a bit of help: it needs to be mentioned somewhere, but my scene idea isn't the most ideal moment for it.

Aaand I think that's that.

I need to stop reading "Satan" as "Stan", it screws up my thinking.

Dac Vin on