As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for cheap laptop that will function moderately well. Possible?

durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
So my girlfriend's laptop got a bunch of cranberry juice spilled on it during a trip. We are now looking for a new one. She, however, doesn't need all that much in the way of power. I feel like we should be able to find something on the cheap that can create word documents and use Firefox, maybe watch television online. But so far browsing New Egg hasn't turned up anything below $500.

So, to sum up what we're looking for:

Budget: Sub-$500. Cheaper is better.
Desired use: Word, Firefox, WinAmp. Power really shouldn't be an issue.
Dimensions: Around 12". Small is good, but it should still have a disk drive and a reasonably large HDD. Obviously pretty and awesome looking is also good, but we can settle for not looking like a bulky piece of crap like her old Vaio.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
durandal4532 on

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Acer Aspire One

10" (about the size of a DVD case)
    5.9 pounds
    1.6 ghz Atom processor
    160 gb HDD
    1 gb ram
    $349.99

perfect netbook for what you're describing.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You mentioned having a media drive, but I would really recommend an Eee 1000HE. 10" LED-backlit screen, nice keyboard/build quality, less than $400 ($375 on Amazon), ~10 hrs of battery life.

It's basically the same size/specs as the Acer linked above but the 1000HE has the newer Atom processor and longer battery life.

You could go for a cheap HP (Compaq) or Dell, but battery life will likely be nil, meaning you will be tethered to a power outlet for most of the use.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Acer Aspire One

5.9 pounds
    1.6 ghz Atom processor
    160 gb HDD
    1 gb ram
    $349.99

no disc drive.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Acer Aspire One

5.9 pounds
    1.6 ghz Atom processor
    160 gb HDD
    1 gb ram
    $349.99

no disc drive.

Good luck finding a sub $500 notebook that is as small as you want with a disc drive, then.

And I went with the Acer Aspire One over the 1000h. You're mistaken, both have the exact same atom processor. I would have liked to have waited for the 1000th or whatever it's called, though... the one with the touch screen.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You could pick up an external disc drive for the few times you may need one (unless perhaps you use it a lot?).

And I went with the Acer Aspire One over the 1000h. You're mistaken, both have the exact same atom processor. I would have liked to have waited for the 1000th or whatever it's called, though... the one with the touch screen.

The 1000h has the N270 processor like the Aspire One, but the 1000HE (released a few weeks ago) has the N280 which handles video and such much better and faster among other things.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »

The 1000h has the N270 processor like the Aspire One, but the 1000HE (released a few weeks ago) has the N280 which handles video and such much better and faster among other things.

Oh, I misread what you wrote. The 1000HE is the one with the touchscreen as well, right? And built in bluetooth?

Either way, Acer is assuredly going to switch to the new model of atom processor, as will MSI. All 3 netbook makers use the exact same processor, as it's pretty much the only option.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No touchscreen, but it does have bluetooth.

I'm sure they will switch over, but they haven't yet that I'm aware of. It will be nice when they do though. (From the news sites I'm seeing, it's supposed to come out this month at $575)

If you REALLY want a sub-$500 notebook that is full size, HP sells the Compaq CQ60Z for $450. Dell sells the Inspiron 15 for $450 as well.

That is for the absolute base minimum.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Stay the hell away from the Inspiron. I bought one when they were brand new for $800, and it's by far the worst laptop I've ever used. Dell's support is also abysmal. I'd recommend staying the hell away from dell in general.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Stay the hell away from the Inspiron. I bought one when they were brand new for $800, and it's by far the worst laptop I've ever used. Dell's support is also abysmal. I'd recommend staying the hell away from dell in general.

Well I wasn't suggesting it. Far from it.. If I came across that I was, I am sorry, because I wouldn't ever recommend the cheapest laptop to anyone. Dell used to be pretty good a few years ago. Support used to be good too. Now if you want decent support you need to have a business gold line with them or spring for the best support option for a consumer line (which would double the price of that laptop at least).

Generally, for laptops, you want to go for either the business line or the custom line. Never the consumer as they are usually more shoddily made. That goes for HP too. If HP is too ashamed of the Compaq line of laptops to not even just brand them as HP, then you know they aren't worth owning.. :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Well I wasn't suggesting it. Far from it.. If I came across that I was, I am sorry, because I wouldn't ever recommend the cheapest laptop to anyone. Dell used to be pretty good a few years ago. Support used to be good too. Now if you want decent support you need to have a business gold line with them or spring for the best support option for a consumer line (which would double the price of that laptop at least).

Generally, for laptops, you want to go for either the business line or the custom line. Never the consumer as they are usually more shoddily made.

I was making sure the dude didn't see your suggestion, like the price, and then pull the trigger. I've never dealt with a worse company than dell.

With laptops, you generally get what you pay for. These laptops are cheap for a reason. I really suggest a netbook for what you're looking at. They're cheaper, and far more portable. The lack of a physical media drive really doesn't affect you as much as you'd think. I just use USB for everything now.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Generally, for laptops, you want to go for either the business line or the custom line. Never the consumer as they are usually more shoddily made.

I was making sure the dude didn't see your suggestion, like the price, and then pull the trigger. I've never dealt with a worse company than dell.

With laptops, you generally get what you pay for. These laptops are cheap for a reason. I really suggest a netbook for what you're looking at. They're cheaper, and far more portable. The lack of a physical media drive really doesn't affect you as much as you'd think. I just use USB for everything now.

Also, you can always just buy a USB dvd drive.

Frem on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm thinking compromising on the disk drive actually sounds great. She only really wanted it so she could watch DVDs on her computer, but I think she can figure something out or watch Hulu if it means saving $300.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I fully support the Acer laptop everyone has been talking about. I am actually currently typing this on mine right now. It is INSANELY light. It sounds like it pretty much covers everything you're looking for, except maybe screen size, but it really isn't much of a problem. The wide screen is a nice touch, too. I haven't even had to go out of my way not having a CD drive. Get her a decent flash drive with it if she doesn't already have one and that should be all she needs. If you're networking it, she might not even need that.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lenovo makes a netbook as well. Which for the price is all your really going to find. Asus has a new EEE model coming out and they seem to be the de facto standard for netbooks.

Jubal77 on