As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting new computer with Vista - Recommended Apps?

ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
So tomorrow, once Best Buy finally stocks their shelves after receiving a shipment today, I'll be buying a new laptop. This one actually - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9163861&type=product&id=1218040477075

This will be my first time using Vista. I'm curious if there are any programs, for optimization/fun/security or any that would be recommended? Possibly specifically for Vista or somethign like that.

If there's a regular thread for these kind of questions then point me there, I don't come around the Tavern much so I could have overlooked something.

QcGKhPm.jpg
ShimSham on

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TBQH, I can't think of any JUST VISTA apps. There is the possibility to have a really sleek setup with some custom visual effects but that is fairly advanced stuff and isn't anything new.

If I were you, I'd just play around with Vista and get a feel for it and slowly add things to it. For actual recommended pieces of software though, I recommend: Google Chrome, Firefox, Zune Marketplace (Even if you dont have a zune, its a great media player/organizer) and as far as security goes, having AVG and ad aware should be solid enough protection for most people.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't use any Vista only apps other than the DX10 version of games.

However there are two gadgets that I find indispensable.
    • The woot.com gadget. I never miss a woot now
    • The Live Map traffic app. It's awesome to be able to check traffic at a glance before leaving in the morning.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I actually never liked the sidebar and the gadgets. I prefer Rainmeter.

But yeah Shimmity Sham, just clear up the crap ware and keep it off. Like any operating system, less is more. Slap on a cool hip wallpaper from the desktop thread, and you are good.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    geeeeoffffgeeeeoffff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    it's not really a vista app, but i really like the stardock object dock it just frees up space on the task bar. i put all the programs i normally use on the dock, and let the dock autohide on the left side of the screen.

geeeeoffff on
    GD on paforums
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm definitely going to look those mentioned I was unfamiliar with.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg