As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Arriving in the speed of time.

JimothyJimothy Not in front of the foxhe's with the owlRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Social Entropy++
The Spectacular Spider-Man

Spideyseasontwo.jpg

It's way better than the movies, and it's coming back to the US in two weeks. On March 23rd, Disney XD (formerly Toon Disney) will start the series over from the beginning starting with the first three episodes at 7:30PM. After that, they'll do one episode a week and won't hit season two till summer.

Hopefully this will get more people interested in it and let them watch it from the start. For the rest of us, think of it as a retrospective on the series thus far. The entire staff has parted ways, but if ratings are good enough, then Disney and Sony might order a third season (hopefully with the old crew intact). If you happen to have a Nielson box, turn this on.

spidey-1.jpg

So somewhere towards the end of 10th grade, Peter gets bitten by a spider, etc., etc., his uncle dies, something about power, the usual. He's spent the summer learning the superhero ropes and fighting crooks. The series opens on his first day of 11th grade and his first encounter with a supervillain.

Episodes are part of a three- or four-episode story arc. Each arc has its own theme, as you can gather from the episode titles. The theme of the series is "The Education of Peter Parker," and the writers have their own names for each arc, such as "BIOLOGY 101, ECONOMICS 101, CHEMISTRY 101, and PSYCHOLOGY 101." Season two will start with "ENGINEERING 101."

symbiotespidey.jpg

It's one of those shows with a lot of integrity and consistency to its universe:
We made a decision very early on that we didn't want to have a single name character, no matter how small, that didn't come from one of the sources, whether that's Ultimate or the main continuity or the movie – we would take all name characters from the source. It's a strange thing to say, because I've done entirely original shows like Gargoyles, but we actually made a conscious decision early on that we weren't going to create a single original character for this show. So the actor who has one line in the Sinister Six episode, the guy who's playing Falstaff, his name is St. John Devereaux, and that's a character right out of the comic books and he'll be appearing again.

Spidey has the proportionate strength of a spider still, and I can't say how you can see our show and not feel he has spider-reflexes. But I've never bought into the notion, despite what's been written by individual writers in things like the Marvel Universe Handbook -- and this from a guy who once wrote multiple, multiple entries of DC Comics' Who's Who -- that Spidey is one of the strongest guys around. He's stronger than a normal human, certainly. Considerably stronger. But he's not Hulk; he's not Rhino; he's not as strong as Doc Ock's arms. He's about at Gobby level, in my mind. Even a quote-unquote normal human like Ox, for whom strength is his main claim to fame, can challenge him. Again, all you have to do is look at the early Lee/Ditko issues to see that's how Spidey started. And that's how I think he should stay -- at least as long as he's still so young, physically immature and inexperienced. Which is not to say you haven't seen and won't continue to see feats of strength in coming episodes and especially in Season Two. But Spidey's never been about the strength, and I think it's flat out WRONG to make him too strong, so to speak. Frankly, I'd rather see him overpowered, than over-powered.

Spider-Sense is another ability that I think has, over the years, been abused as well. Pete was bit by a spider, not by a psychic. If you buy the notion of SPIDER-sense at all, you need it to fit with (at best) our perception of what a SPIDER can do. So in our show, Pete can only anticipate an incoming blow. That to me, is key. Pete could walk right by a serial killer with a chainsaw hidden under a trenchcoat and not feel a buzz, unless the guy took a swing at him. (Again, he's not psychic. He doesn't have a built-in EVIL SENSOR.) Because having spider-sense is NEW to Pete, he's not even that great at taking advantage of it now. We've decided that his spider-sense doesn't go off (or at any rate it's too low a level to bother with) when he can see the danger right in front of him. That would be redundant. And unless there's a lot of anticipation to a blow coming from an unseen source, he just may not get enough warning or information. Often the warning comes too late for him to react. Often the warning comes. But it's generic. He knows he's about to get slammed - but doesn't know from where. (It's just a tingling sensation. It can't talk to him and give him more information.) I won't deny that some writers -- including, on occasion, Stan -- have in fact turned spider-sense into an all-purpose evil sensor. But personally I don't buy it.

sinistersix.jpg

The show has an amazing artstyle designed by Sean "Cheeks" Galloway. It takes some folks a little getting used to, but I think it's fantastic. He's got a lot of stuff here, including a picture of Aang. He also did concept art for Transformers Animated, but they ultimately went with someone else.

The theme song is fun and catchy and has silly lyrics!

New episodes have been airing in Canada and Bulgaria, if you talk about them then you ought to use spoilers. Either way, watch the show when it starts up in the US so that we can get a third season.

Jimothy on

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Geek, I am telling you: Watch this show. You will like it.

And if you don't, then keep watching it until you do. It doesn't quite hit its stride till the end of the third episode, I'd say.

Jimothy on
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    does anyone here have a Nielson box?

and if they do, could they say?

redfenix on
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    they made some spiderman movies so i think i can skip this

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    oh this is the show where all the people have dead eyes

Raneados on
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2009
    Man, Doc Ock's character design is awful.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This show is better than any other Spider-Man cartoon or movie.

Hell, I like the first two movies a lot, but even then when I watch this show, all I'm thinking is "fuck, why couldn't the movies have been this cool?"

UnbreakableVow on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Jimothy wrote: »

And if you don't, then keep watching it until you do. It doesn't quite hit its stride till the end of the third episode, I'd say.

Is it on Hulu, mabye? We don't get Toon Disney.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Best Spidey show ever.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited March 2009
    Also I have to state this is bullshit that there is no season one DVD coming out any time soon for this, they're doing that kids-show bullshit where they break up the episodes.

UnbreakableVow on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    WHERE ARE THE BULGES?!

Loomdun on
    splat
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Geek wrote: »
    Jimothy wrote: »

Is it on Hulu, mabye? We don't get Toon Disney.

I have no idea if Disney puts their shows online. I feel like they must, maybe they have their own service.

Jimothy on
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have nothing to say that will contribute to this thread

Dadouw on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh hey Spectacular Spider-Man thread. Nicely done OP.
    This show is better than any other Spider-Man cartoon or movie.

Hell, I like the first two movies a lot, but even then when I watch this show, all I'm thinking is "fuck, why couldn't the movies have been this cool?"

I agree with this for the most part, although I may be slightly partial to Spider-Man 2. Definitely better than any other Spidey-Man cartoon though.

It also has one of the better done supporting casts for Spider-Man, including most comic versions. It's up there at least with USM's supporting cast.

Schide on
    edited March 2009
    Larlar wrote: »

I agree with this.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Jimothy this is like your third thread about Spectacular Spider-man. It's ok because it reminded to finally get around watching Avatar.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited March 2009
    It is my second, and the last one was a year ago.

And yeah, go watch some Avatar. Right now.

Jimothy on
  • FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It was hard for me to accept Spider-Man as an upper tier super hero at first because he is kind of always bitching. It is impossible to take him by surprise and yet he still seems shocked when shit blows up in his face

Is this on Hulu? It is apparently on when I have work, and I want to see it pretty badly

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Larlar wrote: »

I think Ock's design fits fine alongside the other versions of him we've seen over the years. I'm not a big fan of the red and black Vulture design though. I also want to tuck that stupid tag in at the back of Peter's shirt every time I see it...

That said, the show has been pretty great. It's basically a blend of a lot of the best elements from the comics and the movies. It has that iconic feel that the Timm DC animated shows had.

DMAC on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The art design for this is shit.

The theme is shit.

Spiderman looks like a little red gimp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drZtJHT_O5U

That's the only one I've liked out of the lot.

Meiz on
    edited March 2009
    90's Spider-Man was bad and you should feel bad.

UnbreakableVow on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    something about saying 'the speed of time' pisses me off
    it is time, it doesn't have a speed, time is a measure by which we determine speed.
    88 miles per hour, you could not say '15 minutes per hour' that pisses me off

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Belruel wrote: »
    it is time, it doesn't have a speed, time is a measure by which we determine speed.
    It's a cartoon theme song Bel

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited March 2009
    Arriving at the speed of time is just a fancy way of saying he gets there when he gets there.

This young new Spider-Man doesn't really adhere to schedules. He's a rebel, you see.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Belruel wrote: »

we have actually covered the issue of the speed of time in a previous spiderman thread, in fact

it is 1 second per second dependant on gravity

Nuzak on
    edited March 2009
    Arriving at the speed of time is just a fancy way of saying he gets there when he gets there.

This young new Spider-Man doesn't really adhere to schedules. He's a rebel, you see.

oh i know they are just being silly and playing with words, but it pisses me off still.
    'right on time' works just as well, and also makes sense.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited March 2009
    ar-riv-ing-at-the-speed-of-time

ar-riv-ing-right-on-time

it's missing a beat

Nuzak on
    edited March 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »

ar-riv-ing-right-on-time

it's missing a beat

you'd just have to add an extra beat

ar-riv-ing-there-right-on-time

or

ar-riv-ing-pla-ces-right-on-time

or man anything that makes sense
    (that second one makes me giggle. 'hey dudes, where is spiderman?' 'oh, places')

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    It is a pretty terrible lyric.

One of my favorite things about the show is the choreography of the fights. They always manage to have Spider-Man do little acrobatic things and use his surroundings in fights. Whoever is storyboarding the show comes up with some cool stuff.

DMAC on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They gave JJ a pinch?

Uhhhggg.....

And Brock's an egghead.....

Meiz on
    edited March 2009

You say that like Luke Cage is always 45 minutes late to the battle

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is a wonderful show.

Bucketman on
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i'm Meiz i have these dumb complaints blah blah blah

this show is the shit

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This show is pretty good. Its almost Ultimate Spider-Man the series except with a classic version of Green Goblin and a hispanic Liz Allen which makes no sense since there is a serviceable blond and bitchy Liz Allen stand in on the show already who is also down for the swirl.

The choreography and stories are spectacular its just the art is the worst. Fuck you Cheeks. And fuck your fucking nickname you cheeky bastard. But yeah the arms and legs have these weird lines which makes people look like action figures. And I still don't know why Peter has a mole on his face. Mark Bagley needs to start making cartoons.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    this show is pretty fantastic

it's got the best spider-man fights I've seen in either animation or live action

the 90s show sucked so bad

Centipede Damascus on
    edited March 2009
    Bucketman wrote: »

Your mom's a wonderful show.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arriving fashionably late

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited March 2009
    Bucketman wrote: »

Your mom's a wonderful show.

Bogey Snap!

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

dependent on gravity, mass, acceleration, and distance from the observer, actually

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited March 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »

dependent on gravity, mass, acceleration, and distance from the observer, actually

guess the only lesson you don't learn is how not to get a wedgie, nerdlinger

Nuzak on
    edited March 2009
    anyway everyone said how stupid "speed of time" is, but "looking up with no surprise"?

that's like

they all expect spiderman, all the time

Nuzak on