As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ABC's Castle: Nathan Fillion? ABC? Yeah, this won't last long.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Last nights episode was good, I like the interaction he has with his family. Though I hear we really have to wait till episode 6 before the show turns into a disco dance off thats when Fillion really shines...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, why is the new episode not up on abc.com yet?

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It was up this morning. I managed to snag about three minutes of it before ABC.com crashed and the player became unresponsive for me. Hopefully it's still there when I get home from work.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Network websites are usually horribad at coding. Which is funny because most of them have their shows available on them now.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    abc is usually pretty good about having stuff up next day.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I think you guys will like last nights ep. Fillion is allowed to be charming without being too overbearing and Beckett once again plays him.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Although it did get a little old, that they thought they had it figured out about a dozen times, only for the next clue to be around the corner ... other than that its pretty enjoyable.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Although I did get a little old, that they thought they had it figured out about a dozen times, only for the next clue to be around the corner ... other than that its pretty enjoyable.

I dunno it didn't bother me too much, because every finish seemed plausible enough.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Good episode, mostly because of Fillion laying it on, but I half remember seeing this plot in a teen slasher/thriller flick a few years back.

Doronron on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Doronron wrote: »
    Good episode, mostly because of Fillion laying it on, but I half remember seeing this plot in a teen slasher/thriller flick a few years back.

Hell, I'm pretty sure Bones had the same damn plot a season or two back.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Part of the problem with a police procedural type story is most of the crimes have been done on other shows. But its not why you watch a show like this, you watch it for the characters and so far they are developing those wisely.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yep. I mean hell, after 3 different Law and Orders + 3 CSIs, that alone runs the gamut of crime stories we've got. Its just changing a few things here n there.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    Yep. I mean hell, after 3 different Law and Orders + 3 CSIs, that alone runs the gamut of crime stories we've got. Its just changing a few things here n there.

Basically hell even L&O does their own storylines over.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I find this show interesting, but this latest episode has made Castle do too much of the legwork. Beckett doesn't look incompetent, but Castle figures stuff out and lets her flash the badge to confirm his guesses. I didn't see the previous episodes, but I hope Castle isn't always the problem solver. Bones does a good job of differentiate the abilities of the two leads, but this show doesn't seem to make the difference in their abilities show up. I thought the twist this week was pretty obvious.
    As soon as the wife showed up on tv announcing her candidacy I knew she did it.

It's a fun show, but I wish it could deviate from the typical cop show formula a little bit. I don't know why every show has to have a teased sexual relationship between the two main characters. Hopefully it doesn't draw it out forever.
    They could make an entire episode of Castle reading his books and I'd love the shit out of it.

Magell on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Some of the past episodes Castle has made some very wrong assumptions about who did it. This episode was a little more Castle but I think they have a good balance. And Nathan is a damn good storyteller... this episode was probably worse in that regard than the last couple :).

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Magell wrote: »
    I thought the twist this week was pretty obvious.
    As soon as the wife showed up on tv announcing her candidacy I knew she did it.
    Yeah, I pegged the wife at that exact moment, too. This is of course from the perspective that viewers have that they're going to catch the culprit, and when there's about 20 minutes left in the show, they're going to stop hitting dead ends pretty soon.

I'm enjoying the show. I rarely watch TV nowadays, and this comes on right when I get back from University, so this is pretty much my one hour of television a week.

The thing I like about Fillion's character is that he does tend to be kind of a jerk, but he's more like a lovable scamp. And it's not the focus of the series, but it is nice to see him with his daughter, and watch how what he's seeing in the case transfers to his interactions with his family.

And since all we've seen of Beckett is her on the job, an avenue of characterization they haven't shown yet is her personal life. She's got to have some family, and I'd be interested in seeing the focus switch from Castle to Beckett to give her the lead for a while.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I tried getting into this show but I can't. It's okay, and w/out Fillion it wouldn't be that, but Life on NBC does the same genre(wacky main character playing to straight female partner) much, much better.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I liked life too, but this show doesn't give me the same vibe. I dunno I guess because Fillion isn't a cop and there isn't an overarcing plot.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    I tried getting into this show but I can't. It's okay, and w/out Fillion it wouldn't be that, but Life on NBC does the same genre(wacky main character playing to straight female partner) much, much better.

Agreed. Just after Drive and Firefly, I have to hope one of Fillion's shows catches on. So for now I have to watch both. Though both handle this better then L&O:CI.

Topweasel on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Still really enjoying Castle. Especially liked
    how Becket was not drinking espresso out of spite, and then went to get some when she thought nobody would see, and Castle scares the shit out of her. ha.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    how Becket was not drinking espresso out of spite, and then went to get some when she thought nobody would see, and Castle scares the shit out of her. ha.
    What I like was that Castle was completely oblivious to the fact that she wasn't drinking it out of spite, which just destroyed any real reason not to drink it.

Topweasel on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Topweasel wrote: »
    What I like was that Castle was completely oblivious to the fact that she wasn't drinking it out of spite, which just destroyed any real reason not to drink it.

Exactly, I like how Beckett seems to read more into Castle than he's even aware of. Though the bit at the end was great.

I dunno the charm of the leads is enough to keep bringing me back and thats all I need. Beckett is way better than Reese. Fillion and Lewis are on par, but I like Fillion more because he seems to be having a lot more fun.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

Exactly, I like how Beckett seems to read more into Castle than he's even aware of. Though the bit at the end was great.

I dunno the charm of the leads is enough to keep bringing me back and thats all I need. Beckett is way better than Reese. Fillion and Lewis are on par, but I like Fillion more because he seems to be having a lot more fun.

Reese though I like her could be replaced and be upgraded I will give you that. But Lewis I think is the more interesting "quirky" character, having layers that Fillion's character does not. Its hard battle but if I had these 2 and 24 all on at the same time, I think I would drop Castle.

Topweasel on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I don't think its a fair comparison. Since Life has been on longer and is more about Lewis's character, where as Castle is just starting out and they are trying to balance it between the both of them.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm just waiting for a musical episode. heh

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm just waiting for a musical episode. heh

I'm just waiting for ABC to announce they picked it up for a full season or something. I'm doing my part but I fear they will want monster numbers when they have it going against an established franchise in CSI Miami and its still doing 10 mil.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I don't think its a fair comparison. Since Life has been on longer and is more about Lewis's character, where as Castle is just starting out and they are trying to balance it between the both of them.

True. Just saying its the vibe I get. Then again I don't need layers with Castle because I like how this character is portrayed. Just if I had to choose now it would be Life.

Topweasel on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Won't have to choose though, Life is on wednesdays right? And god damn is NBC running out of any show worth watching anyway.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Won't have to choose though, Life is on wednesdays right? And god damn is NBC running out of any show worth watching anyway.

No I am just saying head to head its debatable. but then again I might only have one or two shows in a little bit when I am watching well over a dozen now.

24 1.3 Seasons left (maybe less)
    Lost 1.4 Seasons left.
    Scrubs .5 Seasons Left.
    Prison Break .5 seasons left
    BSG just finished.

Then these shows might or probably are getting canceled.

T:SCC, Heroes, Dollhouse, maybe Castle.

Thank god for House and Bones.

Topweasel on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Man if Heroes would get canceled oh happy f'ing day.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I know it's only four eps in but they need to let Beckett do more of the thinking it through to figure out the killer and Castle spin more monologues about the man in 8B.

EDIT: If Topweasel's list of cancelled shows is accurate, that means I suddenly get a lot more time on my hands -- those are pretty much the only shows I watch currently...Life on Mars has one episode left, I think?

Doronron on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The show is nice and all, I really like the characters and the dynamic between Beckett and Castle ...

But who the fuck was in charge of naming the latest episode? Maybe we would have guessed her in the first five minutes without the title ... but I sat there the whole time thinking ... "come on, the wife did it, lets get it over with".

Way to spoil an episode ...

Gotta say tho ... that red dress in the end ... niiice.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Beckett is probably a better character than Reese (who exists largely as a foil to Crews' weirdness) but seriously, Sarah Shahi.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Beckett is probably a better character than Reese (who exists largely as a foil to Crews' weirdness) but seriously, Sarah Shahi.

Agreed. Wouldn't a problem with either, but in a bathing suit i would vote for Shahi. To bad they don't ever seem to wear bathing suits.

Topweasel on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Agreed. Wouldn't a problem with either, but in a bathing suit i would vote for Shahi. To bad they don't ever seem to wear bathing suits.

Well, she was pregnant while filming this season(hence Crewe getting a new partner and most of Shahi's shots being behind a desk. There's always next season though.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »

Well, she was pregnant while filming this season(hence Crewe getting a new partner and most of Shahi's shots being behind a desk. There's always next season though.

If there is a next season.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    *reads current discussion in this thread*
    *watches this week's Castle*
    *watches this week's Life*
    *Goes: o_O*

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Really liked tonight's episode. A good whodunit with an unusual beginning, a nice moment between Castle and Beckett at the end and the start of an actual story arc.

Also, I'm surprised that Firefox's spellcheck recognizes whodunit. But not "spellcheck". "spell check" and "spellchecker", but not "spellcheck".

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Last nights was solid. I liked the little bit we saw into becketts life. The little trinkets she carries and the way she shuts her gun away (seems like a departure from most cop shows where the chick has her gun prominately on display).

The hint of overarcing could be interesting. I liked how Beckett and Castle worked together on this one, without one dominating over the other.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I thought this was the best episode yet. I liked how Castle was speechless and dumbfounded when Beckett visited him at home, heh.

clsCorwin on