As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Empire: Total War - ECONOMMYYYY!!

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My lead general is named Fyodor Fyodorovich. And he's a drunk.

Well what else are you going to do in Russia

Ivar on
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My best general name ever was in an Empire game as the United Provinces. After a long period of peace and trade with more or less all other European nations, I decided to make an army and recruit a general.

General Piet de Winter.

The war with Russia was declared the very same turn.

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    No, you guys are just incorrect. Only the first line fires, but new men are constantly cycled up to the first rank so that the rate of fire is much faster than in Empire.

We get that you don't like the game, but please don't just make shit up.

Ummm, no? Watching the battles unfold at the lowest camera level, I can say with a great deal of certainty that my men don't cycle to the front row (unless someone there dies). Only the front line fires, and the rear lines stand there. The rate of fire has been increased (they reload faster), but that's all.

And I can't say I notice a big fire rate increase using Fire and Advance, either. With all the running forward and readjusting of the line after all the ranks fire, it's minimal at best.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So there's no Fire by Rank in Napoleon?

Ivar on
  • Options
    Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Metallikat wrote: »
    Yeah, especially considering they supposedly did it for the AI's benefit. Which is dumb, seeing as how the community will ultimately make a mod that, if not perfects the AI, will definitely make it infinitely better than the Devs seem to be able to do.

If I recall correctly, the modders couldn't really fix this issue in Empire either.

Yeah, I miss the kneeling and whatnot, but I generally have more volume of fire in Napoleon than I did in Empire.

Lionel-Richie on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Metallikat wrote: »
    Yeah, especially considering they supposedly did it for the AI's benefit. Which is dumb, seeing as how the community will ultimately make a mod that, if not perfects the AI, will definitely make it infinitely better than the Devs seem to be able to do.

If I recall correctly, the modders couldn't really fix this issue in Empire either.

Yeah, I miss the kneeling and whatnot, but I generally have more volume of fire in Napoleon than I did in Empire.

I primarily play with Darthmod for Empire, and I have to say it's miles better in terms of how the AI handles it's units than vanilla Empire. It's ultimately been that way with all the TW games since Rome, at least. The modding community somehow just gets the AI to a better place than the Dev team seems to be able to.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I play with Darthmod too, but I seem to recall it still has the issue of "oh one guy is straggling, so we can't fire yet" that CA wanted to fix by taking out FBR.

And since Darthmod's formations are packed tighter, isn't the problem slightly more prevalent?

Lionel-Richie on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I can honestly state I've never noticed it in the later versions of Darthmod. Obviously the unit needs to be formed before it can FBR, but I never got the "everyone's in place and ready to go, except for that one guy just standing around 20 feet behind us for no reason, so we'll wait for him before firing" problem. The troops seem to get their act together pretty quickly.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Is Waterloo one of those things where you're supposed to lose, or am I just worse at this game than I thought? Wellington's positions are just too strong and his artillery can instantly shoot mine to pieces, which means I have to attack, at which point his one billion rifles, elite infantry and defences tear me to shreds.

And then the Prussians show up.

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    In N:TW, how is unit variety without the dozen & a half special edition units?

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's pretty good. I'm not sure there are really any generic units? I haven't looked closely, but it's leagues different from ETW's clone saga.

Lionel-Richie on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Some of the non playables have the same line infantry, and I think that Hussars look the same for some factions, but the variety is good. All the playable factions have unique uniforms.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To give you an idea, here's Russian Musketeers (basic line infantry) fighting French Fusiliers (basic line infantry). Quite distinct.

Sorry about the rather subpar graphics, My video card is quite a few years old and can't handle huge battles on anything above medium without chugging. On medium settings it runs perfectly well, though.

napoleon.jpg

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Heh, that lone Russian on the left is about to shank that French dude on the ground.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Spanish line infantry and British.
    napoleon2.png

Strangely, some non playable factions, Spain, Portugal, and the Ottoman Empire are playable in MP. Not sure if the these factions are more distinct than say, the Bavarians or Italian states.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Spanish line infantry and British.
    napoleon2.png

Strangely, some non playable factions, Spain, Portugal, and the Ottoman Empire are playable in MP. Not sure if the these factions are more distinct than say, the Bavarians or Italian states.

Huh. On medium it doesn't put to poms on the British Shakos.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Arang wrote: »
    Is Waterloo one of those things where you're supposed to lose, or am I just worse at this game than I thought? Wellington's positions are just too strong and his artillery can instantly shoot mine to pieces, which means I have to attack, at which point his one billion rifles, elite infantry and defences tear me to shreds.

Some custom battles are always bullshit like that.

I still remember the fucking battle of Sparta in Rome, where you play as my main man, Pyrrhus of Epirus, against an army of fucking Spartans that gets reinforcements. Its basically suicide.

They there in your game?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Some custom battles are always bullshit like that.

I still remember the fucking battle of Sparta in Rome, where you play as my main man, Pyrrhus of Epirus, against an army of fucking Spartans that gets reinforcements. Its basically suicide.

They there in your game?

Yup. Half-white half-red for line infantry and green for light infantry and rifles. I have everything on ultra.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Goddamn, I feel so fleaced now looking at this comparing it to E:TW. My favourite campaigns in Rome, Medieval 2 & Empire were the small focused ones, because the AI found them far easier to cope with (so did I, in fact). I sometimes ended up enjoying the Road to Independence campaign more than the grand one.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I beat it on medium difficulty on my first try. I made a few fuck ups but what I learned was that you take 5 regiments of infantry and Napoleon and march them on the left house, two go into the house to take it and three stand within gunshot range to take out his infantry as they rush to support the house. Basically, that will decimate his left flank and then you take those two infantry regiments that owned the house and sweep his line and take everyone else and line them up near the house, everyone else including the reinforcements should come to you now, and this is where you flank them with cavalry.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Does anyone actually use Dragoons? I mean, I build them and sometimes field them, and I like their hats, but I don't see much use for them. Mediocre cavalry, rather slow, and on foot they are a really small unit with no bayonets. I don't really see any tactical use for them other than standing near my general and looking dashing.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I believe they are great as part of keeping cities in line, I think every 1 dragoon counts as two units for the purposes of repression.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Does anyone actually use Dragoons? I mean, I build them and sometimes field them, and I like their hats, but I don't see much use for them. Mediocre cavalry, rather slow, and on foot they are a really small unit with no bayonets. I don't really see any tactical use for them other than standing near my general and looking dashing.

As Great Britain I didn't even get heavy cavalry till a good number of turns in, so Dragoons are pretty necessary. I use them to pursue weakening and broken units to get them to scatter so they don't reform. I never use them dismounted.

I did see France use some type of cavalry that fired carbines from horseback. What are those guys? They came across a ford and charged my Rifles while my line infantry were still forming their defences. I had to send in the Scot Greys to stop that nonsense.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited February 2010

As Great Britain I didn't even get heavy cavalry till a good number of turns in, so Dragoons are pretty necessary. I use them to pursue weakening and broken units to get them to scatter so they don't reform. I never use them dismounted.

I did see France use some type of cavalry that fired carbines from horseback. What are those guys? They came across a ford and charged my Rifles while my line infantry were still forming their defences. I had to send in the Scot Greys to stop that nonsense.

Well, I haven't played many factions in Napoleon yet. In Empire I used Colonial Dragoon heavily because they were often the only option, and mainly for that reason.

In Napoleon, for finishing off fleeing units and killing artillery, I find Hussars are the best, due to their high speed and stamina. For charging, obviously lancers are best. Not sure if Britain gets lancers?

A bunch of factions get Mounted Rifles, I don't remember what the French version is called, its en Francais.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Well, I haven't played many factions in Napoleon yet. In Empire I used Colonial Dragoon heavily because they were often the only option, and mainly for that reason.

In Napoleon, for finishing off fleeing units and killing artillery, I find Hussars are the best, due to their high speed and stamina. For charging, obviously lancers are best. Not sure if Britain gets lancers?

A bunch of factions get Mounted Rifles, I don't remember what the French version is called, its en Francais.

Yeah, Great Britian doesn't get Hussars or Lancers. They get Dragoons (posibbly Light Dragoons), Heavy Cavalry, and Horse Guards. And Scot Greys if you have the Steam version.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited February 2010
    I used light dragoons alot in E:TW, as in a line tactic use the standard dragoons would often fail.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm more of an infantry/artillery commander, I like defensive tactics. Being a hussar in my armies means dying a horrible death in order to silence the enemy guns for the good of the Motherland.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, yes me too. I only use cavalry to "trade" with artillery or other cavalry. Any charge I commit I expect not to return. I am a Corporal to my infantry.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, yes me too. I only use cavalry to "trade" with artillery or other cavalry. Any charge I commit I expect not to return. I am a Corporal to my infantry.

Ditto. Cavalry are there to charge the guns, stop the other cavalry, and circle around back to assasinate the general.

Also to threaten infantry so they form square for my cannons.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited February 2010
    I cannot do this fucking battle.

Put it on easy, went over to the leftmouse house with two Old Guard, two Young Guard, two Line Infantry and Napoleon. No matter what I do, my right flank is charged by Dragoons before they can start shooting at their guys storming down to the house, at which point everything inevitably turns into a giant clusterfuck and I lose because the British are apparently fucking superhuman. 3-to-1 against the Old Guard and they just push me out of the God damned house essentially forever until Napoleon is shot and dies, which is near-instantly because their Unobtanium cannons shit out like two hundred round shot a minute.

On the positive side, the quaint farmhouse withstood twenty minutes of constant point-blank cannon fire, so it's nice to know they made it fair like that.

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What can I say? The British Empire fucking rocks.

I'm just now starting a battle with two of my British armies, a large Prussian army in support, against a full French army all while I'm trying to hold Hanover. I'll take some pictures.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    because the British are apparently fucking superhuman.

Yeah... that basically true in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Now they're degenerate chavscum/morlocks, but back then they really had their shit together.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Pictures of that battle I mentioned. As a good ally I let the Prussians soften up the French a bit before sending the redcoats in.
    The initial engagement of the lines after I cleared the trees. By this point the French were already hurting from the Prussians and massive rifle fire from the 3rd Battalion of the 95th Rifles.
    Napoleon2010-02-2621-04-35-77.jpg

The line advances to point blank range to finish the French off.
    Napoleon2010-02-2621-10-04-10.jpg

The aftermath as the left wing of 3rd Btn, 95th, moves to engage the remaining artillery. Note the mix of French, Prussian, and British casualties.
    Napoleon2010-02-2621-11-42-18.jpg

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited February 2010

Now they're degenerate chavscum/morlocks, but back then they really had their shit together.

Pfft, the lower classes were always like that. That's why the Royal Navy had such draconian policies, to keep them in line.

Nice screenshots, timespork.
    Ditto. Cavalry are there to charge the guns, stop the other cavalry, and circle around back to assasinate the general.

Also to threaten infantry so they form square for my cannons.

Its possible to be more aggressive with cavalry if you so choose, but its much more micro intensive. For instance, a charge from a unit of Winged Lancers or Sipahis in Empire is pretty much GG for the unit it hits, but if they get shot at, they die just as fast as any other unit, so you have to always keep an eye on them.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    After saying it was a completely new game, taking a year to develop on an in-house engine they had experience with and charging full price, I expected a full game. Not this hobbled, locked-down expansion pack. I know they like money and all, but wouldn't it have been better to include it as a campaign add-on for Empire?

Also, I have no sound in battles. Occasionally I hear a man's dying gasp, but that's it.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rohan wrote: »
    Also, I have no sound in battles. Occasionally I hear a man's dying gasp, but that's it.

You've activated ConscienceMod™ which is designed to bring home the inhumanity and staggering cost of war to each soldier as an individual.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rohan wrote: »

You've activated ConscienceMod™ which is designed to bring home the inhumanity and staggering cost of war to each soldier as an individual.

:^:

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I blame World War 1 and 2 for that; the best and brightest are topsoil in Flanders, North Africa, Normandy, Burma, ect.

Anyhow, finally got around to playing a campaign (did so as Austria-Hungary so if I dorked up it would be historically accurate) and did well, but unlike pervious games I really haven't been able to fight *offensive* battles outnumbered and do well.

Defense is easy; entrench in a corner of the map and blow them to hell with arty as they bunch up marching. Anyone else had success?

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I find divide and conquer works pretty well. I usually just focus artillery as much as possible, then throw my strongest troops at the resulting weak points. Once someone breaks, the cavalry comes in and rolls up the next people in line, then the next and so forth. After one flank is gone I can hinge around with my own flank and envelop them.

Also, light infantry are solid gold.

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I find divide and conquer works pretty well. I usually just focus artillery as much as possible, then throw my strongest troops at the resulting weak points. Once someone breaks, the cavalry comes in and rolls up the next people in line, then the next and so forth. After one flank is gone I can hinge around with my own flank and envelop them.

Also, light infantry are solid gold.

If you put them in skirmish mode, will they retreat out of enemy weapons range or just mele?

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher