As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Unknown Armies] What are the books to own for it?

MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Critical Failures
I've been interested in UA for a while now. I think it's going to be the next game I try and buy. I know that the second edition book is the one to buy, but beyond that, are there any sourcebooks that people feel are must own?

Thanks.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
Marikir on

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    http://www.atlas-games.com/unknownarmies/

I always liked the setting and ideas presented in UA, but I never had the ability to run it. There are a list of sourcebooks etc on the left. I would think you would want to grab a book of one shots and see how your players like it before purchasing more materials.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    CounterspinCounterspin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, let's see. One Shots is a great book if you're looking for, well, one shots. I'd say the most generally useful book is Postmodern Magic, which presents a bunch of new paths of magic. Stratosphere, which is sort of the same thing for avatars, is similarly helpful. As for the rest, it sort of comes down to which parts of the setting interest you.

Counterspin on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Marikir wrote: »
    I've been interested in UA for a while now. I think it's going to be the next game I try and buy. I know that the second edition book is the one to buy, but beyond that, are there any sourcebooks that people feel are must own?

Thanks.

Don't buy the To GO campaign, I found it utterly unusable. It managed to contain everything I disliked about UA, the patronising smugness the all powerful NPCs, and none of the stuff I find so fascinating and powerful about the setting.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, let's see. One Shots is a great book if you're looking for, well, one shots. I'd say the most generally useful book is Postmodern Magic, which presents a bunch of new paths of magic. Stratosphere, which is sort of the same thing for avatars, is similarly helpful. As for the rest, it sort of comes down to which parts of the setting interest you.

While they're all good, I was under the impression that most of the Postmodern Magic/Stratosphere stuff was folded into the UA 2e core.

But, seconding One Shots.

Ho.
    Ly.
    Shit.

Jailbreak is probably one of my favorite one-shots I've ever read. :D

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch