As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NSFW

wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Artist's Corner
too many to post in the doodle thread.
pic92.jpg

pic93.jpg

pic94.jpgpic96.jpg

pic95.jpg

pic97.jpg

wakkawa on

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd printed out the first one and ran to the bathroom before I even realized what you did.

you bastard.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I really like the second one, the simplicity is really fun to look at. Not that the rest aren't slick as all get out, but I really stopped to take a gander at the two girls. I don't really like the blackout one all that much though, I think it's the background and it's positioning, fighting for my eye between the top and bottom 3rd of the image. Also on the last one, her left (our right) hand doesn't feel right. I don't know if it's too flat, or if it's to do with the pinky...

Thanks for sharing man, I among many always enjoy seeing your stuffs. ;D

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'd printed out the first one and ran to the bathroom before I even realized what you did.

you bastard.

After you realized what had happened, did you stop?

Shiboe: I think that hand just lacks the contrast of the other one. Ill try to fix that tonight. Thanks!

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    wakkawa wrote: »

you bastard.

After you realized what had happened, did you stop?

...no

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I absolutely LOVE the last one, though the hands are pretty weak, compared to the rest of the piece.

Also, yay for a drawing of the mans!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I really love the second one, and the odd thing is, it's really for the color theory application and not the lesbian-ness.

EDIT: Also, Metal, your post (and the resulting exchange) was about the funniest thing I've read all week. At least.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Wakkawa's girls always look like I'd leave fingerprints if I touched them or something.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    the one with the long black hair :^:

yes x 1,000,000

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Which one with the long black hair? I agree wit Shiboe, that second is all kinds of fun to look at.

Also, the first mans looks a little womanly because of his coat/dress.

Tam on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wakka man, i've said it like a thousand times probably but you are so fucking awesome it kills me.

beavotron on
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    when can we expect vol 2 of your art book?

:P

good to see you're drawing more manly doodz.
    you color skills are quite masterful!
    you can pull off pretty much anything, very pale skintones, very warm, cool, and lsd infused ones as well - and you make it all look completely natural which is the killer part.
    you also do a wide variety of different looks - graphic, oil painting and watercolor-esque, it all looks fantastic.

basically-
    you're the man.

XAL on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i like the top one alot. it looks really odd in the sense that, even though theyre dudes, they have a feminine look to them. there pose, flow of body and proportions look like how a womans body is.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So you're saying they are girly-men?

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd say both men read as effeminate, because they're holding themselves in incredibly female poses.

Men don't push our hips forward like that (you push your chest forward, not your crotch).

Shoulders shouldn't be tilted like that.

Still, beautiful work.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    spellchromespellchrome Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like your Art. It's got a nice painterly look to it.

spellchrome on
  • Options
    t i mt i m Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    <3 them all. In particular #'s 3 & 4.

t i m on
    God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.” Bill Watterson
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd say both men read as effeminate, because they're holding themselves in incredibly female poses.

Men don't push our hips forward like that (you push your chest forward, not your crotch).

Still, beautiful work.

just because typical men don't doesn't mean men can't stand with their hips pushed forward

these crits are not crits on structural problems, they're crits on the character's stance and personality, which are not valid crits at all considering he hasn't given any indication that these are supposed to be very manly men.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ^True.

The one on the right doesn't read feminine at all. Dunno where anyone sees that.
    The one on the left, maybe a little bit. To me it reads as a bit feminine because it seems like his hips are a teensy bit too wide (moving his legs in together a wee bit and taking a little off his backside might remedy that - assuming it needs fixing).

But what the hell do I know. My art compared to yours is like throwing a small child into the ring with Muhammad Ali.
    D:

XAL on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Great stuff.

My only complaint is the hands in all of them seem... boneless. The structure just isn't informed enough. Your handling of form/etc is almost hurting them because its revealing that you don't really know whats going on there. They look like you had to look at reference, but couldn't quite make them as graceful as the rest of your images.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    pic92.jpg

So, if we were going to make a list, what are some of the things that an artist might keep in mind (such as different postures) when drawing a man or woman? [In keeping with the societal conventions that the majority of viewers subscribe to.]

Again, Wakkawa has some really nice art. What I like about the top picture with the two standing men is the unfinished, half painted / half sketched look. Wakkawa has a real knack for making it look easy.

spellchrome on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I can see the guy on the left as a little girly, but thats what I wanted for him. I honestly don't know whats making the other guy look girly to you guys though :(

I was going to make poast earlier, but I ended up getting sick and staying in bed for most of my spring break.

ND: ah thanks! I have a few more mans drawings coming, so wooo. Still tightening up those hands though.

crawdaddio: That one was purerly just dickin around, so thanks!

metal: Yeah about that, you do leave fingerprints. Its a pain to clean off.

misosoup: Watchmen is my main source of hot long haired women. Like, for real.

Tam: Oh yeah the dudes totally have a dress like clothes on. Guys fashion is pretty much limited to suits, which I totally don't want to draw.

beavo: <3 haha

xal: thanks! I actually was planning on doing another book at the end of the year. Its goin to have a little bit more process work in it though.

spellchrome: thats what I aim for, woo. I'm a big fan of texture, but when I do traditional paints I usually just end up making a mess.

t i m: thanks!

wassermelone: Yeah I have trouble with hands. I use my own hand as reference a lot, and its kinda limp and boneless. I can bend all of my fingers back and touch my wrist with them.

Also, a few WIPS. most of these have some real bad mistakes that I just haven't gotten to.

pic100.jpgpic102.jpg

pic98.jpg

pic101.jpg

pic99.jpg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't know if someone else mentioned this, but the reason the guy on the left looks feminine isnt (just) his stance but the definite hourglass shape he has, where his hips and shoulders are equally wide. But as you said you were going for that, so I good job :)

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, well, sorry about the bits of toilet paper, too.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That poor zombie!

I like number 3 the best, but number 5 looks stone cold badass.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    love the facial expressions on the guys at the strip club

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    really love your work. I like the way you seem to get the picture across with minimal brush strokes. All your strokes are high opacity, in the right spot and the slight pure white highlights let you imagine the shape.

Crazy... very envious ! I look forward to seeing more

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    asides the right eye in one of your things, they are alllllllllllllllll terrific It's useless for me to point out little things like minor eye errors though most people don't bother fix them. I already said I loved your work before, very solid, I think there has only been ONE project you ever made that I didn't like (the one I was talking about in the doodle thread a while ago) and you keep getting better and more experiment-ive now. I love ittttt

thats all, i'll be silently stalking gavez my worships for the new thread.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    pic99.jpg

I like your mech, especially the shield and blade. If you wanted to make it that much better, I think a human sized character standing near the mech would help to establish size and perspective.

(And your new girls are great too. Nifty colours.)

spellchrome on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    beavotron wrote: »

Still, beautiful work.

just because typical men don't doesn't mean men can't stand with their hips pushed forward

these crits are not crits on structural problems, they're crits on the character's stance and personality, which are not valid crits at all considering he hasn't given any indication that these are supposed to be very manly men.

It has nothing to do with "typical/atypical", and everything to do with the context in which he's designing. Throughout the English-speaking world, excluding parts of Italy and France, those attributes I spoke about are consistent. This includes Japan (which is the major visual reference, here, in terms of style and posing, as I read his work).

Tell you what, find me examples of men standing like that in the real world. Anywhere. Doesn't matter what culture.

The closest approximation you'll find is models doing haute couture, where the poses are by definition non-natural.

Separately, there are actual natural poses for the human species, which vary between male/female. Because of our different hip/spine/chest structure, the center of gravity is different, as well as the distribution of our muscles. If you look to other primates, this is thoroughly confirmed: certain postures are, in fact, natural and unnatural.

If you were to adopt the pose of the man on the left in this image, no man would be comfortable. You'd find quickly that it actually hurt because you'd be straining muscles to support your weight that normally simply aren't used to that degree.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    People generally fall into two categories when viewing Wakka's work: they either love him or hate him. Personally, I hate you. I hate you with the passion of a thousand hungry baboons. I hate you because I am insanely jealous of your ability to render hot women and awesome looking not-women.

I don't really have anything constructive to add, because I hate you.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    MaximasXXZ wrote: »
    People generally fall into two categories when viewing Wakka's work: they either love him or hate him. Personally, I hate you. I hate you with the passion of a thousand hungry baboons. I hate you because I am insanely jealous of your ability to render hot women and awesome looking not-women.

I don't really have anything constructive to add, because I hate you.

don't forget awesomeness with colors

XAL on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    beavotron wrote: »

Still, beautiful work.

Tell you what, find me examples of men standing like that in the real world. Anywhere. Doesn't matter what culture.

The closest approximation you'll find is models doing haute couture, where the poses are by definition non-natural.

If you were to adopt the pose of the man on the left in this image, no man would be comfortable. You'd find quickly that it actually hurt because you'd be straining muscles to support your weight that normally simply aren't used to that degree.

There's no context that says these dudes are just hanging out, casual. For all you know they are models, chilling in model poses.

The dude on the right looks alittle unbalanced in general, But I cant say theres anything particularly wrong with the dude on the right.

Iruka on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What was your book called again, Wakkawa?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    its in his signature

Loomdun on
    splat