As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The War on Paint: We Put Bears on Art Men

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That's a nice colour scheme Gabriel. :winky:

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ain't it though? I'll say one thing, blood red is a stone hard bitch to paint with. If I'd known then what I knew now, I would've gone over the blood red bits with the much more amenable mechrite red and gone for a slightly more subdued look, but I'm in for the long haul now. I've got two more resin broadsides to paint up now, and the Redeemer I left unfinished when the Tau arrived.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    WIckedkarmaWIckedkarma AustinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Air Brush Questions WEEEEE!
    So I have decided to try my hand at airbrushing. If you guys don't mind I could use some recommendations on a decent set up. Nothing large I will be using this at my desk inside, so the smaller the compressor the better for me.

I was looking at this seeing as I noticed a lot of people prefer the gravity feed, and this one seems to be decent and cheep which I think starting out would be good since I don't wanna kill anything expensive right off the bat, though if I'm wrong please feel free to let me know.

I seem to read some good things about this compressor as well, though I honestly don't know enough about it yet to judge it for myself so feel free to school me.

WIckedkarma on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ain't it though? I'll say one thing, blood red is a stone hard bitch to paint with. If I'd known then what I knew now, I would've gone over the blood red bits with the much more amenable mechrite red and gone for a slightly more subdued look, but I'm in for the long haul now. I've got two more resin broadsides to paint up now, and the Redeemer I left unfinished when the Tau arrived.

It all depends what you're priming with, in this case. I've tried blood red over both black, red, and white primers. It looks wonderful over white primer(I based my entire new hellhound in blood red over white primer), but over black its really hard to work with, and its nearly the same color as the red primer I use, but everything else is harder to paint :P

Edit: Worst 5,000th post ever.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was painting over a black basecoat, so I used mechrite red first, then put the blood red down on top of that. It was still a bitch to get an even coat of blood red down.

As for the airbrush, oiless is good. I don't see any outright problems with it, but I am something of a neophyte. All it has to do is provide a steady supply of air at the proper pressure, so I'd say you have a pretty good deal going there.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I was painting over a black basecoat, so I used mechrite red first, then put the blood red down on top of that. It was still a bitch to get an even coat of blood red down.

Yeah, it is a bitch. My entire IG army is red and white(or dirty white/brown, for the older guys), and I started with trying to go from black primer-mechrite red-blood red.

With the white primer, I just apply one coat of blood red, and its on very well. Of course, to get the same color effect, you may want to do white primer - mechrite red. It would probably be more subdued, and fit in better with the others. But just a suggestion :P

Raslin on

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    For blood red over black primer, put a coat of Dark Flesh down first.

Dark Flesh --> 50/50 Dark Flesh/Blood Red --> Blood Red

This is how I do almost all my reds.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »

"Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL"

That is a sexy shade of red on that MySQL

Edit: Working on and off now. I like it, but I am not a fan of mixing paints. If I really can't find a GW shade I'm happy with, my store is well stocked in vallejo, reaper, P3, and other paints.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I'm talking to Support right now. :(

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Raslin wrote: »

Yeah, it is a bitch. My entire IG army is red and white(or dirty white/brown, for the older guys), and I started with trying to go from black primer-mechrite red-blood red.

With the white primer, I just apply one coat of blood red, and its on very well. Of course, to get the same color effect, you may want to do white primer - mechrite red. It would probably be more subdued, and fit in better with the others. But just a suggestion :P
    The problem is the rest of the colors are darker shades working off of the black base coat, so priming just certain portions in white would be... difficult. That's why I went with the mechrite red underlayer compromise. If the whole thing was supposed to be bright shades of red, I would've just used white primer to begin with. Fortunately, it's only a small portion of each model that has to be red, so I'm willing to toil through the process, I'm just not happy about it. :P

If I had my way, the models would paint themselves and I would never even have to touch a brush.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Air Brush Questions WEEEEE!
    So I have decided to try my hand at airbrushing. If you guys don't mind I could use some recommendations on a decent set up. Nothing large I will be using this at my desk inside, so the smaller the compressor the better for me.

I was looking at this seeing as I noticed a lot of people prefer the gravity feed, and this one seems to be decent and cheep which I think starting out would be good since I don't wanna kill anything expensive right off the bat, though if I'm wrong please feel free to let me know.

I seem to read some good things about this compressor as well, though I honestly don't know enough about it yet to judge it for myself so feel free to school me.
    One thing; the motor you've got there is good, but it lacks a tank. Lacking a tank means it will both be on almost all the time and potentially produce pulsed air which leads to horrible consistency. And I know that some places do sell that exact motor with a tank that it sits on top of; I have one.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    See that is a perfect example of the kind thing I need to know about thank you Mr_Rose.
    Anyone else?

As a side question would this be okay to use along with that compressor?
    Or should I just get a compressor with a built in tank?

WIckedkarma on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

"Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL"

That is a sexy shade of red on that MySQL
    All fixed. :P

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sorry about the lack of updates on my Mega-SAG recently, but I had a pretty sizable paper to work on in one of my classes and I've been neck-deep in research.

I went with the vertical drop-feed design after enough people convinced me. I'm using some chain mesh on the sides to hold the shells in, since I figured It'd match what I did on my Stompa's kannon arm. It visibly houses three snotling ammunition shells, and I'll be able to use the rest around the model. I seem to have lost one, but hopefully it'll resurface!

megasag026.jpg

megasag027.jpg

The orange bit is a shell from this dart gun, which I bought because it was awesome and promptly broke by accident. The only reason I really used it was because I couldn't find PVC pipe the right diameter, and it's too big for most of my styrene tubing... it was the first thing I found that was roughly the right size, so I went with it.

I've got a fair bit of sprucing up to do to that back end, don't worry - it's just a chassis for me to add armor plating and worky gubbinz over.

I've been giving some thought to flipping the tread assembly over and mounting the gun down like that, as you can see below:

megasag028.jpg

megasag029.jpg

I think it gives the gun a better profile. The effect of it is that it angles the gun up and away from the ground, but nothing necessarily says SAG shots don't arc. :P I'm probably going to go with this, but I haven't made my mind up yet. If I do I have to remove the battery holder and flip it upside-down, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Ein on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Avoiding the long story that has led me up to this point for now, I have about $220-240 in credit to spend on just Warmachine models, and I've been giving some very serious thought to what I might want to play, if anything. The game itself seems pretty good, and I've played a very tiny bit via VASSAL to get a feel for things. I like it because it seems like you can play a decent-length game (hour and a half) with very few models - a warcaster and a handful of warjacks is sufficient. This'd let me go wild on the models, since I'd only have a few to work on before I have a decently-sized force.

I've narrowed my choices down to two general interests, but I can't decide between them because I don't yet know enough about the game. I figured I'd post 'em up here and get some feedback.

Option A is Privateer Mercenaries, a.k.a. pirates.

freebooter.png

These guys have some of the coolest looking warjacks.

My initial thematic plan for these guys was to do undead pirates, just to be cool, but I've discovered that Cryx actually hasundead pirates already, so doing that would cause a good deal of confusion. Instead, I'd probably opt for Bioshock-esque conversions similar to what one might find here, only with substantially more lights. I'd probably base 'em on wood planking and paint them up to be close to the stock scheme because I do like the colors very much.

Option B is Khador

spriggan.png

These guys appeal to my orky side. They are heavily armored, slow-moving, hard-hitting bastards who excel in beating your face in once they get close enough. I'd probably light as much of these guys as I could, too, and base them on snow. I don't have much of an explicit theme in mind for these guys, since they already have a pretty strong iconographic background of being red or olive-colored and somewhat soviet in theme.

Menoth, Cryx, Cygnar and the Retribution don't particularly interest me as far as their units and theme go, so I'm down to these two. I like the pirate merc models slightly more than Khador, but from the little I've played, it seems like pirate Mercs can be incredibly hard to use appropriately. Khador, on the other hand, seems to be 'run at X, hit X until X is dead, then run at Y', which I can sympathize with after playing orks.

I'd love to hear reasons that would help me decide between the two!

Ein on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You may get more in-depth responses in the Warmachine thread, over this-a-way.

admanb on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    And you might want to wait until the new rules come out in January, also.

SJ on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    On topic!

I much prefer the flipped treads, Ein :)

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

The problem is the rest of the colors are darker shades working off of the black base coat, so priming just certain portions in white would be... difficult. That's why I went with the mechrite red underlayer compromise. If the whole thing was supposed to be bright shades of red, I would've just used white primer to begin with. Fortunately, it's only a small portion of each model that has to be red, so I'm willing to toil through the process, I'm just not happy about it. :P

If I had my way, the models would paint themselves and I would never even have to touch a brush.

I found red to be the easiest colours and smoothest I've ever worked with. My khorne army is black basecoated, with Scab Red, Red Gore, and maybe Blood Red if I want a highlight.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think I fixed my base painting technique.

bases_1_20090919_1364953758.jpg

More pics in the gallery.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think I fixed my base painting technique.

yea, i'd say

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ein wrote: »
    I think it gives the gun a better profile. The effect of it is that it angles the gun up and away from the ground, but nothing necessarily says SAG shots don't arc. :P I'm probably going to go with this, but I haven't made my mind up yet. If I do I have to remove the battery holder and flip it upside-down, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Just cuz' it be lightnin' type stuffs, 'dem SAG shotz still be 'eavy an' yous gots ta' angle dat gun up high if'n yous wanna be hittin' dere boyz out in tha' back.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    NiklasNiklas SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sharp: While I'm not entirely fond of the colour scheme, I think your painting is excellent. The bases really catches the eye and lifts the whole model.

Well done, old chap *clap clap*

Niklas on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Niklas wrote: »
    Sharp: While I'm not entirely fond of the colour scheme, I think your painting is excellent. The bases really catches the eye and lifts the whole model.

Well done, old chap *clap clap*

Now, do you just not like Salamanders? Or what I've done with them?

If it's the former, then Awesome. :D Thanks.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What's your process for those bases? They look terrific.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ig-017.jpg

You see the one guy with the different hat? Can someone tell me where he comes from?

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    oaklore wrote: »
    You see the one guy with the different hat? Can someone tell me where he comes from?

Indiana Jones 5: Die in the name of the God Emporer?

pabh on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Looking at the other guy it looks like they both came off the empire militia sprue.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Or it could come from the Brettonian men At arms sprue... lots of wide brimmed helmets on that.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Mad Jazz wrote: »
    What's your process for those bases? They look terrific.

Just a quick overview on how I did the bases
    1. Primed Grey (white would have been better)
    2. coat of Golden Yellow on the open area and watered down golden yellow in a few cracks
    3. drybrush blazing orange fairly heavily on the open area, fill the rest of the cracks with watered down blazing orange
    4. Drybrush scorched brown over open area, heavy drybrush over flat stones to clean them up
    5. Light drybrush of chaos black over open area, just to get the tips. Heavy drybrush over flat stones and rim the base
    6. a few grey drybrushes over the stones
    7. Watered down sepia wash over everything

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thanks guys I'll have a look.

My space marine snipers are getting those.

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The guys on here who Cast stuff:

Can you tell me what resin you use/where you get resin from? Where do you get the molds/how do you make those? Just pointing me in the direction of where you get your supplies would be best, since it's a fairly in-depth process. I want to cast something for an artistic endeavor, if you're wondering.

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Maticore wrote: »
    The guys on here who Cast stuff:

Can you tell me what resin you use/where you get resin from? Where do you get the molds/how do you make those? Just pointing me in the direction of where you get your supplies would be best, since it's a fairly in-depth process. I want to cast something for an artistic endeavor, if you're wondering.

Check out Eins website . He has a really nice set of videos in the tutorial section under pressure casting, that covers what you want to know.

Hirst Arts also has some really useful information on different types of casting materials and reviews and where to buy materials in the US.

WIckedkarma on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thanks so much

Maticore on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So.... I got tasked with painting a Nightbringer for my friend. The same Nightbringer which brought down 2 squads of berserkers and a dreadnought.... *grumble*..... He asked if I could do it in the style of the "official" GW paint job. Which just makes this harder.

How would you guys suggest I get the Chrome-like look the Nightbringer portrays in this photo
    m400688_99110110014_NightbringerMain_873x627.jpg

I was thinking some clever highlighting and a gloss finish, though I'm not sure if that will work as the bottom portion of his robes don't show the same effect. Maybe a thin layer of ardcoat where necessary or something? At a loss here.

edit: I suppose that its also worth mentioning that his model is missing the actual scythes head. Seems major enough that I kind of want to fix this in some way before painting it. I know he doesn't actually use it or whatever, but just holding a stick will look rather silly.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    looks like a hard black line out lining the white highlights and some of the shapes

pabh on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That might be all it is. Bah. Just gonna start basecoating, see where it goes from there.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    SF_DhalsimSF_Dhalsim Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's just like how you'd do a banshee from the VC codex or an ethereal thing in general except after drybushing the middle of the model you fade it out to the other ends and finish off the middle with extreme highlighting.

SF_Dhalsim on
    sig-1355736.jpg
    sig-1355747.jpg
    SC2: XxKhrushchev.539
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    it looks like NMM to me

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options