As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Local Seattle brewpubs/breweries?

StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in PAX Archive
This thread was spawned by an idea in the Restaurants and Things in Seattle thread (altough I question exactly what "Things" one would look for in Seattle, and why one would want to find them in the first place.)

In my part of the country (just north of the San Francisco Bay Area) we have a pretty good selection of brewpubs, breweries and an absolute metric crapton of boutique wineries. While it's certainly nice to have a big selection, after you sample a few it turns out that there are really only a handful that are worth stopping in and visiting. The really unfortunate part is that depending on whom you ask, you'll get extremely different answers as to which ones are the "quality" establishments and which ones are total and utter crap.

After asking for recommendations from Seattle locals and PAX-goers of past years, where one can find a good brewpub in Seattle, something not too touristy, with decent beers and palatable food, this was posted:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&view=map&msa=0&msid=116457083384721755823.000467c20025053e1a837&z=9

Or use this link for breweries near PAX and the Washington State Convention Center. These are more local and within close travel distance to PAX with distances noted.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=116457083384721755823.000467c2c1a15559b9854&ll=47.607436,-122.333622&spn=0.042301,0.077248&z=14

I make no claims to the validity of any of this information as it was provided down-thread. Although I plan on studying, memorizing and possibly eating the printed page in order to fully assimilate all of the information, prior to arriving in Seattle.

Personally, I prefer a malty beer and detest bitter hoppy beers. Pizza is fine if it isn't too greasy, pub-grub is fine as long as it compares to similar items that aren't served with beer. Bonus points for establishments that brew on-site and major brownie points if they are an organic brewery or use local ingredients.

Right off the top I'll mention that we tried Kell's for lunch one day last year and it was pretty good, but they don't brew their own beer so that was a bit of a letdown. I've heard that a lot of college-age people like Dick's but that seems to be mostly centered around the low cost of entry. I'm too old to buy cheap food/beer; I'd much rather spend an extra buck of ten and get something that I'm going to enjoy.

Are they any really decent breweries in town?


26904.png
Stupid on
«1

Posts

  • beowuffbeowuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    First, no beer at Dicks. It's a cheap (but yummy!) burger joint.

    RedHook is fun. It's a little bit touristy, but they have a cool tour that costs $1. You get to drink a lot of beer on the tour and get to keep a small glass. And the food is pretty decent, if they're not too packed.

    Also, the Issaquah Brew House is owned by Rouge Ales, but also makes their own brews. Nice selection and good food.

    Pyramid is located in south downtown, but I'm not too fond of their beers. I made the mistake one day of doing a sampler at RedHook and then a sampler at Pyramid. Pyramid tasted like crap after the RedHook...

    beowuff on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't know if the Tap House Grill brews any of their own stuff, but they do have 160 beers on tap.

    PeasantDave on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No, I'm pretty sure the Tap House doesn't brew anything.

    I'm a fan of the Big Time in the University District, they have good beer and their food is ok. Plus they have nice sandwiches!

    There are a bunch of breweries around Seattle, but I am disappointed in myself for not having been to most of them. I've heard the Elysian is good, and their Tangletown location (it's near Green Lake) is really nice looking. The Pike Pub and Brewery in Pike Place Market is not very good; their beer is ok, but the service is terrible, although it is a fairly convenient location..

    I'd like to check out the Elliot Bay brewing co. or Baron, but they're all the way over in West Seattle D: And, Pyramid is probably the most well-known, it's right next to Safeco Field (I also have not yet been to Pyramid, I really want to go, although I hear it's not that exciting either. Good beer though).

    MetaverseNomad on
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    +1 for Big Time. Not a huge fan of the food, but it's a nice spacey place with good beer and a relaxed atmosphere.

    eye-shuh on
  • JokulhaupJokulhaup SeattleRegistered User new member
    edited March 2009
    The Elysian is good but I think they suffer from over hopping like a lot of NW brews do.

    For a family friendly brew pub you might want to try Hale's Ales over in Ballard on Leary Way, they have a good mix of brews that they make on site and serve local food.

    Redhook in Woodenville has some kick ass nacho's to go with their beers, but they are a good 30 minute drive from down town. If traffic is light.

    Jokulhaup on
  • Royale Wih CheeseRoyale Wih Cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As far as one-stop-shopping goes, you'll be hard pressed to do better than Taphouse. They don't make it, but it's there on tap, and quite delicious. Also it's very close to PAX.

    I disagree a little bit about Pike Pub; their Kiltlifter is quite good as a "guzzling" beer, but yeah, I don't remember their service ever being better than mediocre. Didn't really matter to us though, we usually grab a few growlers and go :-) If you can get it on tap, I also recommend Deschutes' Black Butte Porter. Wouldn't really call them local, but their brewery is a couple hours drive south, IIRC.

    Royale Wih Cheese on
  • Demon EyeDemon Eye Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    McMenamins (Dad Watson's Pub) in Fremont is a solid choice. All of their beers are good and the pub food is tasty.

    Normally I'd recommend Hale's in Ballard, but they're only for fans of more hoppy beers.

    Rock Bottom Brewery downtown is another good one.

    I would actually strongly recommend Pike on the quality of their beers. Kilt Lifter is one of my favorite brews ever. (nice and malty, which you said you like.)

    If you're narrowing it down to good pubs surrounding PAX (aka Downtown) then Pike and Rock Bottom are probably your best bets.

    Demon Eye on
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tap House seems overpriced and commercialized to me. As a Seattleite, I can appreciate Jokulhaup's and Demon Eye's suggestions. Have Elliott Bay, Pyramid and Two Beers been mentioned?

    To repeat myself from the Alcohol Exchange thread, I recommend a trip to Full Throttle Bottles for beverage enthusiasts. It's just south of downtown and, as you can see from the expansive list, well worth the visit!

    Twinkie on
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Like Demon Eye said, Rock Bottom Brewery is great, been to the one there is Seattle and in D.C., good food and the beer is decent. Definitely stick to their darker beers though if you are not a seasoned beer drinker.

    MaoChan on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Twinkie wrote: »
    Tap House seems overpriced and commercialized to me. As a Seattleite, I can appreciate Jokulhaup's and Demon Eye's suggestions. Have Elliott Bay, Pyramid and Two Beers been mentioned?

    To repeat myself from the Alcohol Exchange thread, I recommend a trip to Full Throttle Bottles for beverage enthusiasts. It's just south of downtown and, as you can see from the expansive list, well worth the visit!

    Well it *is* a chain afterall. But you wont be able to find any place that has more beers on tap. There are a few that carry a wide selection in bottles but its just not the same :(

    BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    Twinkie wrote: »
    Tap House seems overpriced and commercialized to me. As a Seattleite, I can appreciate Jokulhaup's and Demon Eye's suggestions. Have Elliott Bay, Pyramid and Two Beers been mentioned?

    To repeat myself from the Alcohol Exchange thread, I recommend a trip to Full Throttle Bottles for beverage enthusiasts. It's just south of downtown and, as you can see from the expansive list, well worth the visit!

    Well it *is* a chain afterall. But you wont be able to find any place that has more beers on tap. There are a few that carry a wide selection in bottles but its just not the same :(

    Have you been to a Yardhouse? They do the same as the Taphouse (both chains) in terms of 160 on tap which is great and I can vouch for Yardhouse having really good food.

    MaoChan on
  • WifflebatWifflebat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Another vote for Elysian. A buddy and I walked here from PAX last year and enjoyed it quite a bit. Tasty if a bit hoppy, try the lagers if you want something mellower and good food (the blue cheese fries were a fave). Easy walk and kind of a neat neighborhood.

    Wifflebat on
  • KurpavKurpav Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have to throw in a shout-out for my local favorite...

    Snoqualmie Falls Tap Room in Snoqualmie, WA serves suprisingly tasty food and damn fine beer. The head brewmaster was a brewmaster over at Pyramid after they bought Thomas Kemper. The bonus is a lovely day trip to the Snoqualmie Valley, Mt. Si and Snoqualmie Falls.

    Kurpav on
    On the Hunt: Star Trek, Gold Overwatch, Glitch
    Check 'em: My Pins!
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kurpav wrote: »
    I have to throw in a shout-out for my local favorite...

    Snoqualmie Falls Tap Room in Snoqualmie, WA serves suprisingly tasty food and damn fine beer. The head brewmaster was a brewmaster over at Pyramid after they bought Thomas Kemper. The bonus is a lovely day trip to the Snoqualmie Valley, Mt. Si and Snoqualmie Falls.

    I am very much up for this, though it should probably be reserved as a pre-PAX day trip, non?

    I have vivid memories of Snoqualmie Falls from when when I would've been 7 or 8. I'd love to refresh them...

    Twinkie on
  • InnuendoInnuendo Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    I'm shocked that no one has mentioned the nearest pub / brewery to PAX. Six-Arms brewery is easy walking distance with one of my favorite stout "the terminator" .Thats where i'm located food an drink wise for PAX. shit nevermind don't go there, I don't want it packed more than it is.

    Innuendo on
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Innuendo wrote: »
    I'm shocked that no one has mentioned the nearest pub / brewery to PAX. Six-Arms brewery is easy walking distance with one of my favorite stout "the terminator" .Thats where i'm located food an drink wise for PAX. shit nevermind don't go there, I don't want it packed more than it is.

    Oh I had one of those last year, the Terminator, very tasty stout. Let's flood this bitch with people!

    MaoChan on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    I think the Six Arms (McMenamins) is on the Pub Crawl

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    XR wrote: »


    For the farther away list you should add The Ellersick Brewery. It is a really neat little brewery in Lynnwood. They have some really tasty ales. The Scotch ale is my favorite. Most of their beers are clocking in at 15% AbV

    Ellersick Brewery- http://www.ellersickbrewing.com/

    That_Guy on
  • XRXR [E] LULK ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That_Guy wrote: »
    For the farther away list you should add The Ellersick Brewery. It is a really neat little brewery in Lynnwood. They have some really tasty ales. The Scotch ale is my favorite. Most of their beers are clocking in at 15% AbV

    Ellersick Brewery- http://www.ellersickbrewing.com/
    Done

    XR on
  • nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There are lots of good brews made in the Seattle area... but a quote a few of them are further out of the city as the list there shows. If you have the time to go all around then that's great... but it might just be easier to find a few joints nearby that serve the local stuff.

    nearlysober on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    XR wrote: »
    Brewery List (in distance from PAX?):

    I gotta say, this thread is full of win. It's still 5+ months away and I already have a nice full list of places to go whilst in Seattle!

    Stupid on

    26904.png
  • XRXR [E] LULK ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Would a google map marked with all the breweries and distance from PAX help?

    XR on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    Yes, I think it would.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • beowuffbeowuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think the google map is a great idea. It would help people plan which breweries they want to hit, and other people could add lesser known breweries. I live here, and I know there's tons of them I've never been to, but would like to check out, if I knew where they were...

    beowuff on
  • XRXR [E] LULK ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man Beowuff, I hope that you frequent Mac and Jacks often, as your in Redmond.

    XR on
  • beowuffbeowuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They're in Redmond? I had no idea... Actually, Mac and Jacks is not my favorite... It seems like all I ever see from them is the African Amber, which I don't really like. Now that I know there here, I'll go check out some of their other brews...

    See? This is why we need the map :P

    beowuff on
  • XRXR [E] LULK ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Done!
    Try this link for the broader Seattle area.
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&view=map&msa=0&msid=116457083384721755823.000467c20025053e1a837&z=9


    Try this link for breweries that I recommend near PAX and the Washington State Convention Center. These are more local and within close travel distance to PAX with distances noted.
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=116457083384721755823.000467c2c1a15559b9854&ll=47.607436,-122.333622&spn=0.042301,0.077248&z=14

    XR on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    XR wrote: »
    Done!
    Try this link for the broader Seattle area.
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&view=map&msa=0&msid=116457083384721755823.000467c20025053e1a837&z=9


    Try this link for breweries that I recommend near PAX and the Washington State Convention Center. These are more local and within close travel distance to PAX with distances noted.
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=116457083384721755823.000467c2c1a15559b9854&ll=47.607436,-122.333622&spn=0.042301,0.077248&z=14

    You're my hero.

    MetaverseNomad on
  • XRXR [E] LULK ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanks!
    Maybe the OP can update their post with the map and lists?

    XR on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanks and done! Many PAX attendees will learn of this effort, I assure you!

    Stupid on

    26904.png
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Excellent work, I'll make sure to put this to good use. I hope many Bothans died to bring us this information.

    SlickShughes on
  • AccalonAccalon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you're looking for a fun bar to run down to after a night at PAX, Shorty's is only a few blocks NW of the con, and well worth the trip. I got turned on to this place after the most recent local pub crawl. It's loaded with pinball machines and old arcade games, what nerd wouldn't love that? Drink selection is decent, great atmosphere and they're reasonably priced.

    http://www.shortydog.com/

    Accalon on
    PAX 2007 Omegathon Champeen

    *Proud member of the Photoshop Heroes*
  • DaniciaDanicia Sparkly Princess of Social Media Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Here are my local faves:

    Brouwer's Belgian Cafe: Not only do they have an amazing selection of Belgian beers and other imports, they have a pretty huge and constantly rotating selection of PacNW brews.
    http://www.brouwerscafe.com/bier.html

    A new place, which I attend as part of the Puget Sound Beer Lover's group is Naked City Taphouse:
    http://nakedcitybrewing.com/
    They have a Twitter site setup and send a tweet everytime they change a keg. Whilst they only have one of their own on tap right now, they're expanding to more once they finish the permits. They also car a nice mix of local/PacNW selections along with imports.

    Pillager's Pub. *Just* opened in the Greenwood area, across the corner from Naked City. Owned by the same blokes doing Baron Brewing. Pirate theme. Menu is still small as they gather up a clientele:
    http://www.pillagerspub.com/

    While you're out enjoying the town, please drop into these interesting places:

    Bottleworks:
    http://bottleworksbeerstore.blogspot.com/ (Same folks who own Brouwer's)

    King's Hardware:
    http://www.kingsballard.com/
    Good beer list and inexpensive. Please try the After School Special aka Peanut Butter Bacon Burger. It is especially yummy with cheese on it, too.

    Lunchbox Laboratory:
    http://www.lunchboxlaboratory.com/ (Website is crap; read the reviews at Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/lunchbox-laboratory-seattle

    Sorry. Beer nerd here. :P
    /salute

    Danicia on
  • EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow, what a fantastic thread though I don't remember seeing anything about Brouwer's. They aren't a brewpub but are the bar for Bottle Works and have a fantastic selection and decent food. Also Uber, again not a brewpub but is definitely the beer lover's bar. I'd love to see some pre-pax beer nights. Maybe I'll have to organize one soon when we can go take over Uber's tiny space. n.n

    EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • DaniciaDanicia Sparkly Princess of Social Media Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow, what a fantastic thread though I don't remember seeing anything about Brouwer's. They aren't a brewpub but are the bar for Bottle Works and have a fantastic selection and decent food. Also Uber, again not a brewpub but is definitely the beer lover's bar. I'd love to see some pre-pax beer nights. Maybe I'll have to organize one soon when we can go take over Uber's tiny space. n.n

    I am always up for a beer night. :) Count me in.

    Danicia on
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Danicia wrote: »
    Here are my local faves:

    Brouwer's Belgian Cafe: Not only do they have an amazing selection of Belgian beers and other imports, they have a pretty huge and constantly rotating selection of PacNW brews.
    http://www.brouwerscafe.com/bier.html

    A new place, which I attend as part of the Puget Sound Beer Lover's group is Naked City Taphouse:
    http://nakedcitybrewing.com/
    They have a Twitter site setup and send a tweet everytime they change a keg. Whilst they only have one of their own on tap right now, they're expanding to more once they finish the permits. They also car a nice mix of local/PacNW selections along with imports.

    Pillager's Pub. *Just* opened in the Greenwood area, across the corner from Naked City. Owned by the same blokes doing Baron Brewing. Pirate theme. Menu is still small as they gather up a clientele:
    http://www.pillagerspub.com/

    While you're out enjoying the town, please drop into these interesting places:

    Bottleworks:
    http://bottleworksbeerstore.blogspot.com/ (Same folks who own Brouwer's)

    King's Hardware:
    http://www.kingsballard.com/
    Good beer list and inexpensive. Please try the After School Special aka Peanut Butter Bacon Burger. It is especially yummy with cheese on it, too.

    Lunchbox Laboratory:
    http://www.lunchboxlaboratory.com/ (Website is crap; read the reviews at Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/lunchbox-laboratory-seattle

    Sorry. Beer nerd here. :P
    /salute

    I love you! Good suggestions, Danicia! I've been aching to visit Lunchbox Lab, and I just posted about Brouwer's in the Twitter thread, hehe. Have you ever been to Full Throttle Bottles?

    Twinkie on
  • DaniciaDanicia Sparkly Princess of Social Media Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You should definitely drop into The Lab, as we call it. *drool* My uber boss loves the place and sometimes grabs a bunch of us to make the drive there from downtown. *chuckle*

    And no, haven't heard of that place. Bottleworks is so close to me already that I just go over there. :)

    Danicia on
  • XRXR [E] LULK ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    WoW, I found this link on the bottleworks site. Its the most wonderful map evar.


    http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=seattle#

    XR on
  • dovirstrgndovirstrgn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Danicia, you must be my neighbor, relatively speaking, because those are all the ones I was going to mention that hadn't shown up yet.

    dovirstrgn on
This discussion has been closed.