As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DSL Wireless Dies, Wired Connections Remain

PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
The problem I was having is that my wireless devices (macbooks, ipods, xp laptops) all stopped connecting to my wireless network. I would have to restart the modem in order for it to accept the WEP password. This would have to happen two or three times a day.

I called Verizon thinking they would just send me a new modem since mine is 3 years old and I have made no updates to any of the machines in the past three days (since this started.)

Instead, they have me change the last letter of my SSID to an upper-case letter and change to a WPA key. Right now it works (although I am a bit skeptical.)

What were these changes meant to do? When I asked the tech support guy he told me that:
1. My devices automatically updated themselves and no longer worked with the WEP key. Which I thought was strange since not only do I not update them on a whim, they are spanning a number of Operating Systems.
2. Sometimes WEP keys just stop working. As I say, this is the first time in 3 years I have had an issue.

So is he just spouting BS to get me off the phone or is this some known issue I have avoided all this time?

"lenny bruce is not afraid..."
brush1rt1.jpg
PatboyX on

• exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's probably just BS. You should be using WPA anyway, though.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Apparently, they upgraded my modem without telling me and the new software doesn't like WEP, not that my wireless devices don't like it.
    Anyway, it is possible to downgrade and use past settings. But I imagine they would just update it again.
    I will use their suggested settings provided they actually work. I find this odd that they should avoid telling us about the change.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg