As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Console Paranoia and 360 HDMI Issues

Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm a new Xbox 360 owner. No regrets with the actual purchase (I get to play games like Braid and SF IV, right?) but I had a minor snafu when setting up the thing. The console was connected to the mains supply, but not actually switched on, and I was trying to insert the HDMI cable (already plugged into the 360) to my LCD TV. There was a small spark at the TV's HDMI port, but everything worked perfectly; colours were crisp and vibrant and booted to my TV's max resolution (1080i) without a hitch.

However, very occasionally, when I boot up console, the 360 start screen flickers before leaving me with a lower resolution and no sound whatsoever being outputted. I've changed the cable, and still the problem remains (albeit happening rarely).

This does tend to happen when I've booted up the console before turning on the TV (which itself takes a few seconds to come to life) and has never happened when I've turned the TV on first.

Anyway, does the above sound indicative of damage to either my 360 or TV's HDMI port, or is it just the consequence of buying a cheap Proline portable LCD TV?

Red or Alive on

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This does tend to happen when I've booted up the console before turning on the TV (which itself takes a few seconds to come to life) and has never happened when I've turned the TV on first.

This tells me the TV is telling the 360 what resolution to do when you turn it, so if the tv is off the 360 doesn't know what to do and does the lowest possible settings.

If I turn the 360 on and then the TV on, the 360 will reboot as the TV tells it what resolution to do, even if the 2 have been on for hours and I just turned the TV off and back on or switched from the HDMI input to something else and back.

Veevee on