As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New tablet PC

mpaonmpaon Registered User new member
edited December 2006 in Artist's Corner
The computer isn't new, but my original stylus was lost by a certain ditzy blond female i know...

anyway, this is the first piece that i threw together in ArtRage.

It's nothing amazing, but I like how it turned out

rose.jpg

mpaon on

• Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Avoid white backgrounds, especially when you do something "painting-like". It also looks a little rushed. The bottom isn't as detailed as the top.

no_toast on
  • Options
    Vertigo5Vertigo5 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Two keys to painting.

Know your values:
    valuescale.jpg

Know your colors:
    colorwheel.gif

Good job, now keep practicing!

Vertigo5 on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Did you do this freehand, or with the color-tracing thing on? I ask because this looks a lot like the tutorial that comes with ArtRage.

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    mpaonmpaon Registered User new member
    edited December 2006
    thanks for the color wheel vertigo. I've never touched actual oil paint, so i'm using those images for reference with the painting i'm trying now.

I did it freehand, but i had this picture up on my desktop. The reason it looks rushed is because i did it during the commercial breaks of two south park episodes :P

mpaon on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Alright, well, do it again, but try to follow the picture a bit more. You seemed to just kinda "half" reference the picture, and thus your rose looks kinda weird, as it's missing parts.

Keep an eye on negative space, and try again. :)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Jeff_LobeJeff_Lobe Registered User new member
    edited December 2006
    Work on your anatomy. :shock:

Jeff_Lobe on
    "This is the end, the end of the bend." -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    Modred189Modred189 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I would say you are having the same problem many people have when drawing/painting a still-life. Somewhere in your head you have an idea of what a flower is supposed to look like. We all work this way.
    You have to unlearn what you have learned. I'm serious tho, you need to concentrate on drawing what is there as opposed to what you think should be there.

A good warm-up is to draw 2minute sketches of the picture WITHOUT LOOKING AT YOUR PAPER (or screen in this case) as you draw. The product will look ridiculous, but when you start your final, you will see a big difference. :D:D:D:D:D [/b]

Modred189 on