As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pimp my profile! (Dating thread - Updated 04/02)

JeanJean Heartbroken papa bearGatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
To make things short, I recently broke up with my GF so I'm back into the ''dating game'' so to speak.

I dont know if it's worth the effort, but I figured why not try dating sites?

My OKCupid Profile

It's my first time using such services so I'd welcome any adivce on how to improve my profile.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
Jean on

• Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The one thing that jumped out at me that I think needs to be changed is your "I spend a lot of time thinking about" section.
    '' Have I done the right thing? ''
    '' How can I avoid repeating this mistake? ''

I were a girl that would put me right off.

W2 on
  • Options
    Nexus ZeroNexus Zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    First things first, in order to save everyone time : Please do not message me if you do not live in the Ottawa-Gatineau area. I am not interested in a long distance relationship.

Presumptuous. I get most messages from girls on a different continent and it's annoying when they're hot, but I wouldn't risk putting London girls off with a message like this.

Summary's too long and overall it comes off as business-like. I don't know if you have a sense of humour but it isn't coming across if you do.

Stuff like 'Keeping my finances under control' needs to go in order to let lines like 'I tend to prefer movies that contains lot of either guns or jokes' shine.

But then in my profile I confess to liking Mean Girls so you might want to take this all with a pinch of salt.

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Poster of the female variety here with a few pointers.

I agree with the above posters, especially regarding the "I spend a lot of time thinking about:" section. You need to avoid writing depressing things and those two lines need to be replaced by more upbeat, proactive things in my opinion.

You seem like a really nice kind of guy and I quite like the summary, though it is a little long. You also need to spellcheck your profile - for example "commitment", "emotional". Little things like that can make a difference :D

Regarding the distance limitation I would remove that as it is very off-putting. I totally understand you wanting to limit a relationship distance-wise, but why send away the hot ladies who just want to message you?

Edilith on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'll leave to it a girl to comment on the quality of your photo, but I will suggest that you add more photos. Not only does it give a broader picture of what you look like, when you add a photo it'll show up on girl's home pages as having added new photos, giving you some more exposure.

At least, girls who add photos show up on mine, safe to assume it works both ways. I added a new photo and had six, seven profile views straight away.

W2 on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    First I wanted a TLDR for your profile, you have waaaaaaaaaay too much in there. You need to trim down that self-summary, there's a lot you could lose. Honestly, once the self summary goes over 3 paragraphs unless they're really interesting I've stopped reading. Agreed about the negativity in the Think About section, it makes you sound like a Debbie Downer.

The photo is a clear photo of your face so you're already ahead of 90% of users there but take more! Always include a full body picture because people are going to want it. If you have pics with friends that's always a good one because it says 'Hey I'm social'. You bartend so do you have any pictures from you at work? I'd say 4 is around the minimum amount of pics you should have. Girls like them because they let us know you're real and not one of those crazy Egyptian/Turkish blank profiles where we'll get a message asking for our hand in marriage.

I say for addressing the distance thing take it out of the top of the profile and leave it as is in the message me area.

Also, don't expect to hear from many girls, and don't take that personally. Typically the guy contacts the girl first and most girls on there have gotten used to that. So be proactive and message girls you think you might hit it off with!

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Also, don't expect to hear from many girls, and don't take that personally. Typically the guy contacts the girl first and most girls on there have gotten used to that. So be proactive and message girls you think you might hit it off with!

Yeah, as a dude (I find) you get best results if you scatter wide and message as many girls as humanly possible. And by that, of course, I don't mean you send them each a generic form-letter style message. Be funny, be interesting and tailor it to each girl you're messaging, but send as many messages as possible.

W2 on
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "I am not very experienced, but I am willing to learn."

This reads virgin. This is fine if you're going for that in the profile.

" I learnt the hard way than it takes 2 to tango"

This reads baggage and bitterness.

"I don't want to be either dominating or dominated."

Baggage and some kind of weird S&M comment?

" I dont mind if a date simply consist of spending"

Consists.

"just have to be mature enough to not let the inevitable disagreements poison the rest of the relationship."

Baggage.

"Drinking unhealthy amounts of beer"

You've already mentioned 'a cold one' earlier, and you work at a bar, and you go clubbing. I'd cut down the references to your drunkeness, honestly.

Also, you live at home and you've only ever worked for your parents. This is how it reads. Those may be realities but might be better off once someone gets to know you better.

onceling on
  • Options
    IogaIoga Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Post more pics. If you don't have any, have a friend do you a favor and take some with you. Looks matter, even if you're not that great looking.

You don't need to give your whole life story - if you want to blog, they have a section for that - Say "if you want to know more, look at my posts!" or some crap.

Keep it brief, mostly going over the big stuff, and likes/dislikes.
    The single most important thing I am looking for in a romantic relationship is being able to completely trust and fully open my heart and my mind. I would be delighted if you came to feel the same way about me!

This kind of stuff, while it may actually be what you're thinking/feeling is a little heavy for the first thing someone reads about you.

Keep it light, keep it easy to read.

Think of it as a resume (while I realize you've only worked for your dad) - keep it concise but with enough detail that your abilities are understood. Much like resumes if it's too long, the people looking at it will chuck it. You need to cut it down to the point where you don't seem like a self-obsessed blowhard who will talk the other person's ear off about your feelings and life experiences, but enough details so that you don't seem fishy and elusive. Most girls/women like talking, and like finding stuff out about you (not HUGE STUFF but the details) in that process - don't try to skip it with your profile.

Ioga on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thank you all for your input!

I'm sure glad I posted this thread. I didn't even realised I've let so much negativity slip trough! I wrote this profile a few hours after I broke up with my GF to keep my mind focussed on other things. Seems like my frustrations with her unconciously slipped trough! I'm not usually a negative/depressed guy, but yeah my mood has been crap lately due to all that drama.

I corrected the spelling mistakes and removed or significantly toned down the negative sounding passages. Ironic than I managed to sound like an alcoholic while I havent had a drink in almost a month.

It's actually scary how dead on the almost all the analysis posted in this thread is. Are you guys really good at this stuff, or it was really that obvious?

Anyways, I have two more questions

- Are the match %age shown actualy meaningful?
    - How accurate are those personality awards?

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I would also suggest trimming your text. The length is a bit off-putting. You can always reveal more about yourself in email.

About your new questions:

1) The match % doesn't really mean too much. I met my current girlfriend on that site and we had about 69% match. In real life, it turns out we're much more alike and we get along great. We just celebrated our first anniversary last month.

2) I'd say those awards are more for fun than anything. However, I've answered 1000+ questions and I feel that my awards are somewhat amusingly accurate. Still, I wouldn't take them too seriously.

I know you didn't ask for other advice, but if you decide to email a girl, read her profile carefully and use this information to start a conversation. That's how I caught my girlfriend's attention, by showing her that I had read her profile and asking her about things she had written.

physi_marc on
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The match % aren't perfect but they do give you a rough idea of compatibility. My bf and I were/are a 70% match which was high enough to let me know we had a lot in common. I can tell you that I never bothered with people 50% or below because for a match % that low we had to disagree on issues at least one of us felt very strongly about.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2009
    To echo what onceling said, you really need to remove the things from your profile that put you in a negative light. Bad previous relationship? Don't want to hear about it. Inexperienced? Don't want to hear about it. Extremely shy in social situations? Don't want to hear about it. I know you didn't say this, but when you put that kind of thing in your profile it makes your confidence level seem very low, which is a huge turnoff for most people.

I also think your profile is very loud. You jump right into how good/bad you would be as a boyfriend and what you have to offer in that regard, that's basically saying "I am status quo nice guy boyfriend" which frankly makes me want to turn the page.The About Me should be about you. What do you like, what kind of fantastic and super amazing interesting hobbies do you have, what really gets you motivated?

You're really good at a bunch of things that most people should be good at (and if you aren't good at them you probably shouldn't tell people that anyways), make it more interesting. Remember, all of these questions are potential conversation topics and if you are generic here you lose this avenue to catch someone's interest.

The beard thing is good, but remember if a chick doesn't like a dude with a beard she won't talk to you. Lose the "I won't shave it!" line.

After your 6 things you have now mentioned cuddling 3 times, which is pretty creepy to be honest. You should just get rid of that reference completely from your profile. Again, as with the "what I'm really good at" this is your chance to stand out, be original and have conversation points.

The same goes with your "the most private thing I'm willing to admit here." Knock off the cuddle thing. In my profile I put that I am "deathly afraid of bees," which is very true (bees creep me the fuck out) and not very private. But I can't tell you how many times I have been sent a message off of that line alone, or it's come up in conversation (and I have a decent story behind my reasoning as well). Find something out of the ordinary.

Finally, as with your about me, your "you should contact me if..." section talks way too much about relationship standards. You say you're good at one liners, so use this opportunity to crack a joke that will generate interest.

I consider your profile to be loud because you talk almost nonstop about relationship guidelines and how important they are to you. By focusing on specific aspects instead of trying to convey more fun information about yourself the rest of your profile goes to waste if one of those relationship checklist items doesn't match the person reading it.

I really like the age old adage about fishing and how it relates to dating and I also think it relates even more to internet dating. Remember two things: One, If you don't catch a fish on your first try, throw the line out there and try again, don't beat yourself up over it. Two, if you are loud you're going to scare the fish away. Don't be loud.

Good luck.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ok, ok, I get it. My profile's in the need of being shortened. I'm down to 1,181 char. now. Guess I should get a bit below 1k, but im not sure what to cut anymore :S

Hehe, to think I was afraid i'd have the opposite problem!
    By focusing on specific aspects instead of trying to convey more fun information about yourself the rest of your profile goes to waste if one of those relationship checklist items doesn't match the person reading it.

Well yeah I get what you're saying, but the point here is if the girl in question is not interested in a long term relationship or don't like romantic guys , then she shouldn't bother with me in the first place. I am not interested in casual sex. Basically I put those in to save everyone time.

Edit : Down to 811 char and cutted down a lot of the cuddling references.

Jean on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Aside from the fact that immediately after ending a relationship is not a good time to immediately dive into one, it sounds much better to say you're looking for more than casual sex than to say you're looking for a long-term relationship. Also, just because someone isn't immediately interested in the long-term doesn't mean they won't be after dating you. My bf was looking for a fling and within a month we were dating exclusively and now almost two years later we're getting a place together.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The point Robothero is making is this:

Say you are fishing, but you don't want to catch any catfish. You don't pour catfish poison into the river. You use the best bait you can, and then you throw away any catfish that end up on your line

You need to think of this from the perspective of someone reading your profile. You need to make them want to message you, or reply to your messages. Your self summary isn't about you, its about your ideal relationship. Tell me why you are awesome!

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    , it sounds much better to say you're looking for more than casual sex than to say you're looking for a long-term relationship

It does?

You learn something new everyday!

Jean on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Jean wrote: »
    , it sounds much better to say you're looking for more than casual sex than to say you're looking for a long-term relationship

It does?

You learn something new everyday!

Saying you're only interested in a long-term relationship is very heavy sounding. Saying you're looking for more than sex says you're looking for more than sex.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    BalgairBalgair Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Spelling Corrections

Under My self-summary
    appareance = appearance

Under My favorite books, movies, music, and food
    pleasure = pleasures
    metalica = Metallica
    characther = character

Under You should message me if
    women = woman
    toughts = thoughts
    characther = character

That's all that stuck out to me at a glance, but I'd go over it carefully to clean that stuff up. You want to look like you've put in the effort to present yourself right.
    Good luck.

Balgair on
    XBL:VOS THE VARG
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    All corrected!

Thanks guys, I feel than my profile is a lot better now :)

I'll add moar pics tomorrow. I lost the USB cable of my camera so I need a new one.

Jean on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    This line
    Physical appearance don't mean much to me.
    just sounds so funny. I know what you mean but it just doesn't sound right.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    This line
    Physical appearance don't mean much to me.
    just sounds so funny. I know what you mean but it just doesn't sound right.

AH?

Well I'm open to an alternative formulation :)

Jean on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    To be honest I don't think you need it.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I agree with Vision. Just take it out. If physical appearances don't mean much to you, then that's good but doesn't need to be said. If they meant a lot to you...well, it still wouldn't need to be said. I don't know anyone that line will impress. I don't think I'd read your profile and be "Well, physical appearances don't mean much to him. I guess my modeling pictures and vapid personality won't fly here!" or I wouldn't go "Well I thought this guy was too good for my looks, but he says my looks don't matter much, so I might as well try!"

It's just kind of pointless, and might be read as fake...because to some extent looks matter to everyone, even if their preferences vary.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Point taken *take it out*

Jean on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Also, what do you mean by equals?
    That may sound naive, but I'm here in search of true , long term love

'That' should be 'This' but aside from that this is going to scare like 90% of women off. It's too heavy and too much especially for your second sentence.
    I'm kind of a nerd to be honest and also an introvert. If you're a nerd/geek/dork yourself, that is a huge bonus. I'm definitively not intimidated by intelligent women. I like to discuss civilly subjects like politics and economics.

How do you like this:
    Nerdy and a little introverted I love discussing politics and economics so I’m looking for an intelligent woman who loves great conversation.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Also, what do you mean by equals?

No one trying to control the behaviour of the other.

And thanks for the alternate phrasing, I'll use it ;)

Jean on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You might want to try rephrasing it. It sounds weird and out of place and I'm not sure it's necessary because that's something most people would assume to be part of a relationship.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2009
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    The point Robothero is making is this:

Say you are fishing, but you don't want to catch any catfish. You don't pour catfish poison into the river. You use the best bait you can, and then you throw away any catfish that end up on your line

You need to think of this from the perspective of someone reading your profile. You need to make them want to message you, or reply to your messages. Your self summary isn't about you, its about your ideal relationship. Tell me why you are awesome!

Yeah, this is a really good summation of my really long post. You need to remember that okcupid is much more of a social site than your average dating site, and you really wedge yourself into a corner when you say that you are exclusively looking for X Y and Z. Considering you just came out of a relationship, you probably think you want X Y and Z, but until you strike up a conversation with W and L, you don't know what you could potentially be missing.

Man, fishing really is a good analogy isn't it?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You need to remember that okcupid is much more of a social site than your average dating site,

What would be an ''average dating site'' then?

Jean on
  • Options
    mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That is freaky, you look like my clone. My dad did travel some in the 80's....

Really it looks good so far, definatly a cut above, it makes you seem normal and not terribly desperate...I see a guy who uses Templar21www as his screen name, and he says he is good at fencing, is a big nerd, and likes D&D. Man...even if that is true, don't admit it on a dating site :lol:

mellestad on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm down with the nerdy aspect, if its an important part of your lifestyle, hding it for a while is just going to cause trouble down the road, IMHO any way.

I'd kill this:

'look for someone who will love you for your character and mind, not for your physique and looks'

It's hard to put my finger down on why, but its a cross between 'my standards on physical attractiveness are low, so if you're ugly, drop on by.', 'i don't think enough of myself to even consider going for a full package', and 'i'm not all that interested in establishing a physical relationship'.

It's not that those values (personality over looks) are negative, but when put like that, they sort of transmit a kind of desperate insecurity. Mebbe avoid putting that out there for the moment.

Other than that, you seem like an average, intelligent, nerdy sort of teddy-bear. I'm sure there are people looking for that. It might not 'pop' as much as a shark-hunting skydiver, but I think there is some merit to the 'what you see is what you get' approach. I don't know how much merit, but its something to be sure.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It's hard to put my finger down on why, but its a cross between 'my standards on physical attractiveness are low, so if you're ugly, drop on by.', 'i don't think enough of myself to even consider going for a full package', and 'i'm not all that interested in establishing a physical relationship'.

First - Well it's rare than I see a woman I find completely unnatractive. Also it's a fact than I never been and never will be big on physical appearance. Good characther , values and emotional compability are overwhelmingy more important to me than looks. I know it sound ike bullshit but its how I really feel

Second - I'd say my confidence in myself is a 7/10. Not the cockiest guy arround, but I'm definitively not afraid of my opinions.

Third - If by physical you strictly mean sex, then yeah it's not the primary thing I'm looking for. I just dont see myself doing it with someone I feel nothing for.
    My dad did travel some in the 80's....

So did mine, apparently I was conceived in the Bahamas :winky:
    you seem like an average, intelligent, nerdy sort of teddy-bear.

Seems like a pretty good description of me 8-)

Jean on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Jean wrote: »

First - Well it's rare than I see a woman I find completely unnatractive. Also it's a fact than I never been and never will be big on physical appearance. Good characther , values and emotional compability are overwhelmingy more important to me than looks. I know it sound ike bullshit but its how I really feel

Yah, that kind of nails it down a bit. I suppose I wouldn't be too upfront with that right away because IME, women like to feel attractive, and be (at least partially) chosen because they are attractive. I don't think I would ever tell a girl 'Oh hey, it's okay that you're not that hot, I like you for who you are'. So doing that proactively doesn't seem like a good idea either.

I hear what you're saying, but if you're anything like me, a good personality brings out the physically attractive qualities as well. Inside beauty coming out, as it were. Just like you would tell someone they have beautiful eyes, or they are soft and snuggly, or they're super cute etc- that attractiveness, those physically attractive traits are still there, even if unconventional.

Arg. I guess what I'm saying is that rather than 'This is better than that', I would just say 'This is really, really good.'- taking the implied negative out.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Your second paragraph reads like "Im easy to live with blah blah." Erase that right away. I think I know what you were trying to say with it, but to a girl that reads "I'm going to ask you to move in together within a month."

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Since this thread is still kind of relevant I was wondering if I too, could get some previously mentioned pimping advice

OKcupid profile

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    Since this thread is still kind of relevant I was wondering if I too, could get some previously mentioned pimping advice

OKcupid profile

Your beard is not so good, sorry man, shave it. Also, more pictures. The more pictures you have, the more people will think that they "know" you and maybe send you a message ;).

Also I would say to put a little bit of personality into your writing. You seem to be very delicate in the way you say things. Don't be. Make sure you let yourself shine through in the text with just how you write and what not, unless of course you are a grammatically correct robot with an English accent.

Just be yourself man. You're an attractive, witty individual that any woman would love the company of.. right? ;)

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Eh, guess I should give you some update.

I feel like I wasted y'all time by creating this thread. My apologies.

Now than I'm completely over my breakup, I don't feel the need to enter a new relationship anytime soon. I'll be fine by myself.

Sure, if an interesting girl get interested in me I won't reject her only for the sake of staying single but I am well aware than staying passive like I am right now put my odds of staying single close to 100%. For the time being, I'm perfectly fine with that.

Jean on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

OKcupid profile

I like the beard, just needs to be cleaned up a bit.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif