As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DVD Region Coding

DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have a delima. I want to buy this DVD of a British Comedy show called "A Mighty Boosh." But unfortunately it is not released in the United States.

Now it is not a problem for me to get the DVD set from the UK, but the real problem is that apparently DVDs are region coded, which I didn't know. So I was wondering if either

[a] - There is a way around this
or
- The DVD player on my MacBook Pro would be able to play somthing from a diffrent region

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

DharmaBum on

• RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Region coding is designed so that movies can be subsequently released to theatres and then DVD's in order by market.

Basically so that a movie gets released in the US to theatres, people watch it, then it gets released to theatres in Europe, then Australia, then Asia, etc etc, the company that owns the movie may choose to release the DVD while the movie is still in theatres in another region, so by region coding they make sure that a DVD released in the US/Canada won't just get resold to a foreign market and distributed before the theatrical version's run is done.

Contact the distributor and find out what Region it is set to. If they set the region to #0, it will work in any DVD player, otherwise you'll have to find a DVD player that isn't region specific, or software for a computer DVD player that will let you change the region.

Ruckus on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Should also be noted a British DVD will be in PAL. Your computer should have no trouble playing it but regular American DVD players will.

nexuscrawler on
  • ffordefforde Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Most computer DVD players are locked into a specific region, but allow you to change the region it is locked into a specified number of times (mine allows 5 changes). From My Computer right click your DVD Drive and goto properties. Click on the Hardware tab then click your DVD drive in the list. Click Properties at the bottom. On the new pop-up, there should be a DVD Region tab.

From there you can change the region of your drive so that you can watch your DVD. This will of course break playback for all US DVDs though... :/ Not really a permanent solution. You can switch it back to US, but like I said, the number of times you can swap it is limited.

There is also software out there that will remove the region encoding from a disk (or make your computer think that it is a region 0 disk). I don't think this in and of itself is illegal, however most software that does this also removes the DVD encryption (CSS encryption) which is illegal in the United States under the DMCA.

fforde on
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Unless you want to change your DVD drive's region (which will block you from playing disks from your area), your only choice is to remove the CSS.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The best method is to get a program that makes disc images, and can mount those same images (I prefer Alcohol 120%).

You can make an image of the disc, and then mount it, and it should play fine, without having to fuck with your physical DVD drive (it seems the "pretend" drives are not region-coded)

Vincent Grayson on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    He said he was on a Mac. Unless he's running XP on it I'm not aware of any disc image software for OSX

nexuscrawler on
  • NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just get VLC Media Player. It is free, multi-platform, and capable of playing DVDs from any region without changing that of your DVD drive.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • ZifnabZifnab Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    nexuscrawler: I've used Toast to create and mount images of audio CDs that I can then treat as though they were normal CDs, and I can't see DVDs being too much different, are they? Only problem is that Toast isn't free.

I second the VLC player idea.

Zifnab on
  • ReitenReiten Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    There's also a commercial program called AnyDVD that should allow you to do this.

Reiten on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    There's a website where you can press some buttons on the remote and it makes your player region free. Some players.

Checking my links... I don't have the link.

Squashua on
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    DVD shrink is free, and allows you to remove dvd region coding and then you can use your regular DVD burning software to create an exact copy region free.

Also, my dvd player I have at home had a region free code come with it, and can play PAL and NTSC just fine.

MrIamMe on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Found the link, here is the site VideoHelp.com

Squashua on
  • Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Should also be noted a British DVD will be in PAL. Your computer should have no trouble playing it but regular American DVD players will.

Not necessarily, many DVD players (especially those that are capable of DivX and other formats) can do on-the-fly conversion of video signals from PAL <> NTSC.

My DVD player (multiregion hacked) comes standard with a video converter that does just that, but since my TV is multisystem, I've disabled it.

To the OP, if you plan on making a habit of importing DVDs, you might want to consider simply buying another DVD drive (external USB or somethin) and setting it to region 2. I'm not sure what the prices are for externals, but the internal DVD drives are so cheap nowadays that it makes sense for someone who imports to just get a secondary.

Locust76 on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Nibble wrote:
    Just get VLC Media Player. It is free, multi-platform, and capable of playing DVDs from any region without changing that of your DVD drive.

This is by far the easiest option. If it works the same way as it does on the PC, you don't even need to do anything. It just acts like region coding doesn't exist. It's also an excellent media player as well. I use it in preference to Windows Media Player whether I'm watching region locked DVDs or not.

I tried unlocking a mac DVD drive back in the day and just succeeded in rendering it unable to play any movie DVDs.

Szechuanosaurus on