As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

External Video Card for Laptop

CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
I'm looking for an external video card that someone could use to help them play higher end games on a laptop. I've been looking, but everything I've found seems to be for using multiple monitors. Does anything like this exist?

I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
Crashtard on

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Unfortunately the only thing that fits the bill is the Asus XG station, which never really took off and was discontinued shortly after release (I think cause they could only get it to work with XP, don't think they saw much point in pursuing the technology.) Don't even know if they ever hit retail in numbers or if it was a paper release.

edit: really the easiest solution if someone wants gaming out of a non-gaming laptop is to toss together a really cheap PC. As long as you pick the right mobo (you want one with a decent ATI onboard GPU if this person wants to game) you can surely do it for less than the XG station was supposed to cost. Even if you didn't go with onboard graphics :).

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah when it comes to laptop GPU upgrades...it pretty much simply doesnt happen. PC's are for gaming really, even if you get a laptop with what is a good GPU, the PC version of that GPU is always like 20 times better than its laptop counterpart.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not to mention it's impossible to upgrade either now or down the line, so the thing pretty much has a date built into it. I really regret going with a laptop and trying to game, and am now building a desktop for my next system.

freakish light on