As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 hard drive - 10gb 'missing'

-Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining.Registered User regular
So, I have a 40gb PS3. I haven't had the change to put a bigger hard drive in, and have been trying to squeeze more space out of my currect drive. However, after totalling all of my game data, installed games, save files and music, it's coming up 10gb short (about 27gb out of an available 37gb). I don't use Home, folding@home, life with playstation or any of that, and I have no movies on my hard drive. Is there anywhere else I should be checking for large files to clean off?

-Loki- on

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The PS3 OS uses a bit of space as I recall. Don't know if it's that much though.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    All 3 consoles reserve part of the HDD space for system files, updates, and caching

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's what I thought the missing 3gb was (my HDD available space total is 37gb). I didn't think the XMB would take 10gb. That's rather a lot, and when it was new it read 37/37gb free.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Harddrives are never as big as what they are sold as. Manufacturers like to lie.

http://www.diskview.com/disk-size-discrepancy.htm

Rotting Meat on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That's a different issue.

It's a known fact that all 3 consoles reserve space - they need to. a 120GB drive on a 360 will only let you use about 112GB.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Guess it's just more motivation to get that 500gb HDD for my PS3.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    That's a different issue.

It's a known fact that all 3 consoles reserve space - they need to. a 120GB drive on a 360 will only let you use about 112GB.

But, isn't that because of the different measuring HD manufacturers use?

All 120 GB Hard Drives, even if empty, will only be 111.72 GBs.

Advertised space * 0.931 = Actual HDD space.
    Harddrives are never as big as what they are sold as. Manufacturers like to lie.

http://www.diskview.com/disk-size-discrepancy.htm

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No, the 360 reserves space for the cache mechanism, somewhere near a gig. Then you have other cache space for other things.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    But that would mean the 120 GB HDD is actually a tad bigger than 120 GB Advertised. Like say, 130 or 136 GBs. Which I've never actually seen before.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    MS will partition bigger HDDs to the same size, so in theory you could have extra unusable space on a 360 hard drive.

They did the same thing with the OXBox - later ones had bigger drives but they were still partitioned to use only 8GB.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Will that does make sense when the cost for HDDs lower while HDD size specs raise.

Now that I think about it, I don't think companies are making 120GB HDs anymore.

I stand corrected.

EDIT: Nevermind, Still saw a couple 120GB HDDs on Newegg.

victor_c26 on