As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

system restore and spyware

minor threatminor threat Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
so i've found myself victim of the smitfraud-C and smitfraud-C.toolbar888 pieces of spyware. it's my own damn fault too, but that's besides the point. i've been fighting the damn things all day. after several boots in safe mode and running ad aware, spybot, windows defender, norton antivirus and smitfraudfix, the damn things still open up pop-ups in internet explorer (i use firefox).

i haven't yet run hijackthis or figured out what to do beyond that. i'm considering running AVG anti-spyware but honestly, if five other programs can't get this thing, i don't have much hope.

my main question here is this: i have system restore turned on and several points before i became infected available to me. would running system restore get rid of this thing or not? i doubt it, but i figured it was so simple it might just work.

minor threat on

• Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    No, a system restore only brings the drivers and registry back to the last restore point. It does not uninstall software. Give the new avg antispyware a try. It used to be ewido, which many people recommend to use on various help sites.

stigweard on
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This might be a bit too technical for you to want to do and a hell of a lot more work than just plain formatting. But if you have another clean machine to work on I'd suggest building a windows live CD with BartPE and install the adaware plugin.
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

It will run before windows boots and you should be able to scan your harddrive without anything being accessed on it so you might be able to get things that running in safe mode didn't.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Give Smitrem a shot. It's what I used to get rid of the 'fraud when I worked as a repairman.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png