As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ideas for girlfriend's birthday

Double DeuceDouble Deuce Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all,

So, I've been seeing this girl for about three months, and her birthday is coming up. I'm trying to come up with some cool, "outside-the-box" type gifts that I might get her.

Without getting in-detail about her personality and stuff, anyone have any good ideas for a present? Or any success stories about a cool present you gave that somebody loved?

I have a few ideas of my own, but none of them are that inspired, so I turn to you, PA forumers.

Thanks!

Double Deuce on

• SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, if you can't provide any details about her personality, might I suggest a gift card?

Seriously though, details are what make the gifts special.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    - Furniture (is there a table or bookcase or something you know she would like)?
    - An awesome experience (sky diving, horseback riding, massage)
    - Something you make yourself (home movie of time together, this is your life, a meal, a homemade card)
    - Gag gift that is an inside joke between you two

witch_ie on
  • Double DeuceDouble Deuce Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Horseback riding would be pretty cool... I might look into that.

So far I think I'm gonna take her to a Benihana restaurant. Kinda generic, I know, but she said she's never been to one and they're pretty fun the first time.

Double Deuce on
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Awesome restaurants are a great idea. I know when I took my boyfriend to Ninja NY restaurant (look it up. it's badass) he fucking flipped out. It was a 5 star restaurant with a ninja theme. fucking awesome. Expensive, but totally worth it. if you can find a restaurant that can cater to her interests, fucking do it! trust me

AlyceInWonderland on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well...

Are you artistic? Think about a general "artsy" theme and then expand on that.

- Can you paint her a picture? If so, make it one of your favourite pictures together.
    - Can you write poetry? If so, write a poem and create a really nice birthday card out of it.
    - Can you write at all? Write an old fashioned love letter, distress the paper, and seal it with a wax seal.

Are you not at all artistic?

- Prepare a picnic and take her somewhere quiet. Ducks or geese nearby to feed is a bonus. Seagulls are a minus.
    - Look into renting a two-seater bicycle, and show up at her door with it. Go for a bike ride around the city. You'll feel ridiculous together, but it will be a lot of fun. (Combine this with the picnic for extra points).
    - Garage sale season is starting up---get up early together one morning and go garage sale shopping. You don't even have to be looking for anything, but it's fun to just go see all the junk people are getting rid of. Buy her something really outrageous from one of the sales, and say that it's her birthday gift... ugliest hat... terrible record... etc
    - Buy her a book, and buy yourself the same one. Tell her to read it over the next month.. two months.. whatever.. and you'll read your copy as well. Both of you make note of parts you really liked and make a point to get together to compare. This works much better if it's some sort of inspirational book or relationship book or something, rather than a fictional novel.
    - Take a class together. Cake decorating is a good one that's a lot of fun.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Double DeuceDouble Deuce Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for some great ideas, all. In the end I got her a nice framed picture of us together, as well as a little necklace that I think she'll like. Plus I'm taking her out to dinner.

Thanks again!

Double Deuce on
  • SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's the details that count. For example, once I won a huge-ass teddy-bear in a work sweepstake in mid-late December. So, obv, that was going to my GF at the time.

The question was - how to wrap it? I ended up putting it in a cardboard box, the sort you pick up at the supermarket that cans of beans come in. Thing is, I wrapped the box itself in wrapping paper - the outside in red and gold, and the inside in cream and gold - so it was like the box itself was lovingly crafted as a gift-box. The box was, in the end, more awesome than the awesome teddy-bear.

Seol on