As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shedding my fat ass

Kerbob97Kerbob97 Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So in college, I was extremely active, 6'4" 180 lbs, 28 inch waist. I hoovered food like a mad man, and had very low body fat. Not super ripped, but I was pretty happy. Soph year, I get mono, it is misdiagnosed (yay for campus quack shack) and I lose 30 lbs....

in a week.

According to doctor, I nearly went into organ shutdown, and it probably knocked a good 5-10 years off my life.

I recovered came back second semester, somewhat got back in shape, and blew out my left knee. To compound things, I ran three miles as a stupid pride thing basically hopping on my right leg. (yes stupid I know)

fast forward to late 2008, become a dad, realize I need to be around for my daughter, and need to shed my fat ass.

In Oct I was up to 230 lbs, and got a pounding heart going up the stairs. I started eating lots of raw foods, less processed, quinoa & brown rice, and the occasional junk food splurge (I travel a lot).

Now at the end of march, I am down to around 205-208. I want to kick it up a bit, and I am looking at a couple of options.

1. P90x - i like the yoga, kenpo, stretching etc. and especially the muscle confusion. (similar to the stuff I did in school) I also like the regimented nature, (no thinking just zone out and do the disk for the day)
*******And I need to try and find a good non illegal version for a decent price****

2. Gym- meh, I don't like the one by me, not my scene.

3. suggestions?

tldr - skinny, then obese, changed diet & now just fat, try p90x (any good deals?) or something else.

Kerbob97 on

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    lifting is going to be important for maintaining metabolism. then just go running. If you like the idea of a structured workout, you might try to find another gym.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    p90x is KILLER

if you aren't in good shape you might want to do a couple weeks of the regular p90 program

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you're worried about blowing out your knee or want a workout that's intensive but nonetheless easy on your body, try swimming intervals in an olympic-size pool. I know I'm kind of a one-trick pony on the swimming thing around here but it really is excellent exercise and is probably as good for you as any other single thing you can do.

Also, being 6'4'' and 208lbs hardly qualifies as "fat ass".

Duffel on
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Into any sports? Join a men's league. I find team sports are a lot more fun than doing repetitive exercises by yourself. Good way to make friends AND get exercise.

Lail on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Duffel wrote: »

Indeed. Check out the fitness thread in this forum for some good tips, but 208 as 6'4" isn't bad at all.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I am really looking hard at the p90x thing. Very similar to the activity types I had in college. Plus, I do much better when I can just zone out and exercise. I was one of those guys who could just get in the zone and run forever, and man do I miss the runner's high.

I think at this point, I just want to find a good deal on P90x that won't be Scamtastic...

Since I am down in the 200's again, I am wanting to get in good lean shape, hence the p90x.
    Nothing against the bodybuilder type, but I want athleticism over bulk.
    (I have a bodybuilder friend who is huge, but honest to god, cannot clap his hands over his head.):lol:

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    if there's a rock climbing gym near you I heartily recommend that. I dropped a good 10 pounds in 3-4 weeks and gained it back in muscle.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    how's your knee nowadays?

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Duffel wrote: »

Indeed. Check out the fitness thread in this forum for some good tips, but 208 as 6'4" isn't bad at all.

I am 190ish at 5'11, and while I may have some love handles I could do without I am no-where near a porker.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    how's your knee nowadays?
    for background - used to be able to do around 380lbs free weight calf raises per leg.
    blew the knee out when my bike chain froze and I had my knee cap come around to the inside of my left leg. Thank god there was no youtube then.

On the positive side, my left knee is a built in barometer.

On the negative, it is much weaker, but it has recovered. I have a fairly high pain tolerance, so I can do whatever, but I tend to pay for it the next day or two.

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's all well and good to "work through the pain" - lifting requires a degree of that, as I'm sure you know - but you really want to be careful about aggravating an old injury that seems to have healed badly. Running and lifting puts a lot of stress on your joints, and running especially on someone as tall and heavily built as you is putting a lot of strain there. Knees are an especially tricky joint; many athletes have had stellar careers cut short by a bad knee injury.

So basically be careful. The next time you fuck up your knee it could be a lot worse or even be permanent. If you can afford it you might want to see a doctor and get some advice on therapeutic exercises you could do.

Duffel on
  • Options
    IronSunriseIronSunrise Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Swim and bike. I too am 6'4'', 220 or so (hopefully on the way down), and not needing a knee replacement at 50 as my dad does is a major worry of mine.

If you live in the mountains, you should have no problem being in shape so I will assume you live in the flats like me. Buy a roadie on roadbikereview.com or ebay or craigslist for 25-50% of the cost and join a bike club. Very good times. Going 30mph with your wheel 2in from the guy in front of you is the opposite of boring.

IronSunrise on
    Georg Dreyman, I have no sympathy for you.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ok.
    I just ordered the p90x kit. Actually found a deal from a site for the complete kit (books and all) shipped for $50. So yay!
    Now to wait for the arrival and see if it is what was promised or a box of rocks.
    Shady importers FTW.

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    you can still be a fatty and not be necessarily heavy. Muscle weighs more than fat. but i still wouldn't consider your weight "obese" by any means.

$50 for P90x? you sir found a deal, unless it's rocks.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I am hoping it's not crap, but it looks promising so far. I am pretty excited. Half tempted to do the whole before/after pics thing...

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    it's good motivation. you might not notice subtle changes day to day, but if you look back you can be like "Holy shit!! THAT's what i used to look like?"

Dr. Frenchenstein on