As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Router Question..May be a dumb question.

omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care.Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
SO I have a small question..I have two routers, one modem. I want to connect my modem into one router for my 2 laptops, and I want to use the other router strictly for my NDS, since the main router is not comaptable with my DS..

The thing is, dont actually know or understand how to do this.

I had both connected for a bit, but realized, both routers had the same name and same password, so I couldnt tell the two apart, easily fixed.

The thing I want to know is there a way to strictly make one for one thing and one for the other sharing the same dsl modem?

And if there is, is there a retard friendly way of doing it??

omega71 on

• Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    On the NDS router, hook it up directly to your laptop/desktop/whatever without hooking anything else up (yet). Make sure it has DHCP server off and give it a static IP. Let's say your "main" router is 192.168.0.1, you make the NDS router 192.168.0.2 (or any ending number that won't be assigned by DHCP). Then hook the NDS router into the main router via the 1-4 computer ports, not the WAN port, on both routers. Modem goes into the main router's WAN port.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What brand and model are the two routers? Perhaps we can come up with a better solution. DDWRT, a third-party firmware, can change compatibility (not always an improvement) and even broadcast two distinct wireless networks with different security levels from a single router.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg