As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeworld 2 on Vista?

The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
I decided I wanted to play Homeworld 2 tonight and after installing it on my vista machine it just flat out doesn't work.

It will run the first time (no profile) but if I change any settings at all and click apply it crashes with no error message or anything.

After this it won't run. It will load a black screen then go right back to the desktop, again, with no error.

I've tried to look up some info on this and all of it is very old and none of it seems to help. Some people had problems with Vistas DEP, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. In fact I disabled DEP and tried to run it but same issue.

So my question: has anyone gotten this to work?

For reference it's Vista x64. I've tried in compatability modes, as an admin, everything I can think of. Someone said that it works better if you don't patch to 1.1, but I haven't tried that.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ok, I think I narrowed it down to enabling V-Sync making it goofed up.

I can get the game to run successfully now with settings changed from the base; I don't have time now to run a long game to see if I get any sort of crashes. I have to do all settings change in the playercfg.lua though; if I try to change anything in-game it just crashes straight up.

As far as I can tell it seems to be running ok. There's some odd graphical stuttering when I zoom in/out and such but nothing too noticeable.

Some actual support for the game would be nice though; even though it's so old. Maybe HW 1/2/Cataclysm will be put on Steam someday and they'll have to fix it up.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Homeworld 2 is a fun game, but I intensely hate the retcon they did on the story. Homeworld and Cataclysm had great manuals, they're actually sitting on my desk now because I read them again a few days ago. Homeworld 2 was basicly "big bad dude and mystical hyperspace cores" (ignoring the fact that the Kushan core was reverse engineered from a tiny model on the Khar Toba :P) And Karen must be hella old by now.

But I digress, I just want Relic to make a new Homeworld :D

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The back story of the political and sociocultural life of Kharak was fan-fucking-tastic.

I read it all before playing the game.

God, that made such an impact on me.

If anybody gets these games Read The Fucking Backstory First you will come back and thank me I guarantee it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My disk = scratched to shit. Also I hate the game for taking out the suicide button.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I love HW2, I find the campaign much more playable, it's not as much "Grand Theft Space Ship" as 1. The only way to win in 1 was stealing the shit out of the enemy's fleet. In 2 you actually had to use combat and tactics.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know that bubble near the end of the game.

I stole all of it.

It took me a week.

All of them.

Even the cap ships.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I stole all of it.

It took me a week.

All of them.

Even the cap ships.

This. Except you were slow. Boy did that make the next level easy though.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know, I've heard all these stories about people salvaging the kitchen sink, but whenever I try to do similar things, it seems like half the enemy fleet is entirely willing to disengage from combat with my frigates to go blow up the corvettes I just undocked from my mothership, which is a pain in the ass when said corvettes couldn't evade assorted thrown vegetables if their life depended on it.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Use lots and lots of scouts on evasive to draw fire, then move your salvage corvettes in from behind. The enemy won't target them if they are coming at an angle.

Homeworld 2 annoyed me in the fashion that, while each mission would match enemy numbers to yours they were always superior, which meant that it didn't really matter how well you played, you always had to build tons and tons of shit to replace silly losses because the enemy sent 5 destroyers against your 3. Otherwise its a solid game.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Jobastion wrote: »

I stole all of it.

It took me a week.

All of them.

Even the cap ships.

Hey biatch I had classes and assignments I wasn't just playin all day. :P

Morninglord on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Jobastion wrote: »

I stole all of it.

It took me a week.

All of them.

Even the cap ships.

Hey biatch I had classes and assignments I wasn't just playin all day. :P

I got about 3/4 of the way through that bubble before I just ended the mission. I was the only one at school who played PC games, and all my friends were like "you've spent a week on one level? What the fuck kind of game takes that long?"

I didn't much like Homeworld 2. It seems like they took Homeworld, applied the skin to another game but left all the mechanics that made it what it was behind. The original still holds the title of Best Game I've Ever Played. I seriously cried when
    you get back to Kharak and it's destroyed, with all that's left of your race in cryo banks getting shot the shit up.
    The music in that game was awesome, set the mood perfectly.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Homeworld 2 annoyed me in the fashion that, while each mission would match enemy numbers to yours they were always superior, which meant that it didn't really matter how well you played, you always had to build tons and tons of shit to replace silly losses because the enemy sent 5 destroyers against your 3. Otherwise its a solid game.

The dumb thing was that the game calculated how it would rubberband its own forces based on what ships you started a mission with. If you scuttled your fleet at the end of each mission and rebuilt it at the beginning of the next, the game was silly easy.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png