As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I finally tried out Lair for PS3 as it hit $20.

Lionhart617Lionhart617 Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
My opinion?

I feel so bad for those people who wasted $60 on it.

The game was literally shit when I could only use sixaxis (and i'm a fan of sixaxis, having loved it in games like Fl0wer, Folklore, MGS4, Ratchet and Clank Future, etc.) the story is something that I could have come up with in about a day, and the Graphics suck too but I won't complain about that since we've come a long way for me to judge now.

The only thing I really love is shooting a vast number of fireballs at things, as the thumb on my right hand is really fast, so I can pretty much decimate in most games with it.

Haven't beaten the game yet, in fact..only beat the second mission, but does the game get any better?

Thank god it was just $20. This title probably should have launched at $20.

Lionhart617 on

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Is it worth the $20? I've thought about picking it up.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's not worth $1.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If they gave you 20 bucks to play it, then I recommend giving it a try.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is the game where you fly around on a dragon, right?

My friend wanted to buy this game way back when it originally came out. I warned him that I had read reviews and other comments on it, and nearly everything people were saying was negative.

He bought it anyways, because it looked cool and he liked the concept. I think he wished he'd listened to me, as he didn't play it for more than a couple days before getting sick to death of the sixaxis controls.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Isn't there a patch or something that allows you to fly the damn things normally?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Even the analog controls are shit. The game runs at approximately 13 frames per second. It's pure garbage.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lair is one of many cautionary tales from this generation.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm guessing Factor Five was either overly-ambitious, ran into Sony-mandated deadlines, or both. Pretty big flameout for a game that had a lot of hype behind it.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Factor Five is a pretty strong developer...and has a pretty strong track record, so I think that demands of Sony put them off.

Sony demanded that they make the game SIXAXIS only and that backfired majorly. Tacking on normal controls after the fact can't do much to fix a horribly broken game, all that will do is muddle controls that were programmed for motion controls.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I agree..in that it's 'barely' (and I mean, ****ing barely) worth $20.

If you buy it for $20, you're biting the bullet.

TRUST me. Wait till it hits $9 or just rent it. You'll bascially be guaranteed to not like it either way.

Lionhart617 on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I bought it the day it came out and regretted it within the first 10 minutes of gameplay. I thought it was downright terrible.

Sadly, I was one of the people who bought into the hype. Lair was supposed to be one of the PS3 defining games.

Luckily for me, I wised up and didn't make the same mistake when Heavenly Sword game out. Actually, playing the demo helped a lot with making up my mind that Heavenly Sword was crap.

The PS3 had such a rocky launch. Its doing OK now, but that first year was pretty terrible.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Indeed it was terrible. It's my favorite console now (and always has been, as I new it'd pick up at some point) but heavenly sword was just a wannabe GoW with a girl thrown in who isn't even attractive.

Tell me if i'm wrong, but most ps3 owners, from what i've seen, wanted 'anything' to be their defining title for their system back then. Lair, HS, Haze, all failed.

We're doing great now.

Lionhart617 on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's sad, really, because Flower, I think, really showed how effective sixaxis could be for flight.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have only played like the first Chapter of Heavenly Sword, but I wouldn't compare it to the awfulness of this game. It's pretty cool with good graphics and some fun beat 'em up gameplay.

I've heard it gets kinda tedious after awhile and I don't disbelieve that after having played it, so it's probably not a good idea to pay $60 for it.. but $20 is a steal for Heavenly Sword. $20 for Lair, however, is still pushing it. :P

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Much, much better use of $20?

Dark Sector and The Darkness.

Both of them, since they're $10 each.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited March 2009

And they're dark! Dark, lightless adventures straight from the Shadowdark. Dark dark dark.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Factor Five is a pretty strong developer....

Was

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/12/22/rumor-factor-5-shuts-down/

I still cry myself to sleep about that ... No one really makes Star Wars games like they did. RS III excluded ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I don't know. There's just something about playing near-launch PS3 titles that offsets me.

Hard to argue with $10 though.

I hate being addicted to trophies. Once you are, you start getting the awful mentality that any game without them sucks.

Lionhart617 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »

Was

I still cry myself to sleep about that ... No one really makes Star Wars games like they did. RS III excluded ...

I'm still trying to pretend they're ok, so that I get another Rogue Squadron game, preferably for the Wii. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Was

I'm still trying to pretend they're ok, so that I get another Rogue Squadron game, preferably for the Wii. :(

I say the same thing about Sega releasing another system. But we all know the end game there ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Was

I say the same thing about Sega releasing another system. But we all know the end game there ...

Dreamcast 2 09/09/09!!!

Still sad to see how Factor 5 ended up, I'm just hoping they're not a prophecy of what will happen to Silicon Knights and my dreams of an Eternal Darkness part deux.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Was

In my fantasy world, Nintendo buys them and has them make a new Star Fox.

jothki on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I liked Lair.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    jothki wrote: »

Was

Can I share this fantasy world? Imagine a completely new Star Fox, in the vein of Star Fox 64, and with some of the crazy dogfights from the Rogue Squadron games.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

And they're dark! Dark, lightless adventures straight from the Shadowdark. Dark dark dark.

I sure as hell wouldn't have paid full price for them, but they're easily worth $20 apiece, and are a damned steal at $10.

A fairly respectable Gears of Glaive, and a run-of-the-mill shooter with an excellent storyline (even if you're not a fan of the comic/graphic novel/whatever you want to call it)

Other games I would buy for $20 instead of LAIR:

Army of Two
    Assassin's Creed
    Burnout Paradise
    Condemned 2
    Haze (yes, LAIR is this bad that I would recommend Haze over it. Boosh.)

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I had no idea there was a comic/graphic novel/whatever for The Darkness.

My friend owns Darksector and also bought it for $9. I'll be sure to borrow it over the summer break and play it. Summer is when i'm somehow going to manage getting ahead in school, getting into better shape, and finishing every game I haven't had time to finish before.

I'd be more enticed to play The Darkness if my friends would shut the hell up about it, and if there was a sequel coming out. Oh well. I'll try that one out too. Thanks for telling me about them.

..By the way..this is random, but have you played Persona 3?

If you're going to say that you haven't, strap a bulletproof vest to your head.

Lionhart617 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I had no idea there was a comic/graphic novel/whatever for The Darkness.

My friend owns Darksector and also bought it for $9. I'll be sure to borrow it over the summer break and play it. Summer is when i'm somehow going to manage getting ahead in school, getting into better shape, and finishing every game I haven't had time to finish before.

I'd be more enticed to play The Darkness if my friends would shut the hell up about it, and if there was a sequel coming out. Oh well. I'll try that one out too. Thanks for telling me about them.

Yes there is, and don't read the Wikipedia article on The Darkness or it will spoiler the game.
    ..By the way..this is random, but have you played Persona 3?

If you're going to say that you haven't, strap a bulletproof vest to your head.

But the Evoker isn't a "gun" ... it's a "gun-like object" :P

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Best response to a post i've seen in about a year. :p

Sequel to The Darkness?

Has it been truly confirmed, or is it like..Kingdom Hearts 3/Metal Gear Solid 5 "confirmed" where it just has to come but you don't know when the fuck it's coming?

Lionhart617 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    jothki wrote: »

Was

Yes ... yes. They use the money they saved from building a hard drive for the Wii ... or the money they saved on insurance. Whatever gets us there ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There is no need for a sequel to The Darkness.

Renzo on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Um, skipping most of the talk,

I really enjoyed lair. I thought it was a great game to play through. I also rented it, as part of my $24/mo fee at blockbuster/gamefly. So I'd say I spent $7 to play it. And I thought it was well worth it. Even with waggle controls.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Best response to a post i've seen in about a year. :p

Sequel to The Darkness?

Has it been truly confirmed, or is it like..Kingdom Hearts 3/Metal Gear Solid 5 "confirmed" where it just has to come but you don't know when the fuck it's coming?

Developer (Starbreeze) says "yes, late 2009." Publisher (2K) says "just a rumour."

Singapore says "lolbannedagain" :P

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The Darkness ... first demo I have ever played and deleted before even finishing. And I even finished The Outfit demo ... shudders

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I thought the controls in Lair worked pretty well, as a simulation of riding a dragon.

I did find that there was a very wide range of responsiveness across different controllers, however, so that may have added to the 'this game sucks' group-think that happened. (I'm guessing the sixaxis sensors are kinda fragile)

Yeah, it had its share of graphical problems and was extremely overhyped but for all that it's a fun game.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I liked Lair. It's a Factor Five game with Dragons instead of Star Wars.

I also love Heavenly Sword.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Luckily for me, I wised up and didn't make the same mistake when Heavenly Sword game out. Actually, playing the demo helped a lot with making up my mind that Heavenly Sword was crap.

The PS3 had such a rocky launch. Its doing OK now, but that first year was pretty terrible.

Heavenly Sword is actually supposed to be pretty good, just fairly short and not nearly worth the $60 they wanted for it. I would definitely pick it up if I saw it for $20.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Heavenly Sword was alright. I enjoyed it enough to keep playing it, until the end when I got so thoroughly annoyed by it, I just quit and never beat it.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Heavenly Sword was a fairly by the numbers hack n slasher, but for what it was doing, it did it well.

Lair didn't even get that right.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I own exactly 4 games for PS3. MGS, Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, and Singstar.

The only games I really want right now are Resistance, Killzone 2, and Uncharted.

Everything else I play on 360. I'm too much of an achievement whore.

EDIT: Heavenly Sword was fun for about 15 minutes. Then you come to realize that that is all there is to the game.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Go get the demo for Valkyria Chronicles.

PeregrineFalcon on