As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink. (Yes, it's games related)

DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
I'm less than a week away from buying a DSi. After having a Launch DS and a DS Lite (which broke recently) I don't think i've ever anticipated a handheld more. Not necessarily because of the features, but because it'll allow me to play all the games I didn't have a chance to play.

Sound weird? Yeah it is; while having access to the console to play the games on, I was so overwhelmed by all the games I wanted to play I just bought nothing. Tons of RPGs, Action games, Puzzle games, all missed. My most anticipated game for the DSi launch are games that released over a year ago.

This happened to me with the GBA as well, I dropped it like a hot potato because the library was so vast. Ditto PS2.

This happen to anyone else? Also, what are the biggest gems for the DS in the past year or so? The only title I played religiously was the Ace Attorney series. Everything else is fair game.

My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
DeaconKnowledge on

• Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I came in legitimately expecting a Rime of the Ancient Mariner game. Probably from EA and based on God of War. :(

Humph, DS games from the past year or so? Let's see:

- The World Ends With You
    - Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
    - Henry Hatsworth
    - Retro Game Challenge
    - Dragon Quest V (and IV, if you didn't get to it)
    - Chrono Trigger
    - Final Fantasy IV
    - Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
    - Space Invaders Extreme

And I can kind of understand the point you're talking about. Now that my 360 is out on repair I'm going through my Wii backlog and remembering other games that I meant to pick up but never did. It's easy to get distracted and forget what's come out already, especially given how future-focused gaming sites and hype trains are. Once something comes out, typically it's gone from mainstream consciousness after two or three weeks. :|

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait a minute. You stopped playing your DSLite because it had too many games you wanted, yet you are looking forward to the DSi when it seems to me you would face the same problem.

Perhaps you should get a psp, the games come out much slower for that device. (Or if that is too much for you you need a DC)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I can't say I've felt there were so many good games I bought none. I just buy as many as I can get and prioritise them, some inevitably fall by the wayside and get forgotten.

Anyway, there's pokeymans platinum, a new castlevania was out last year, one of the best harvest moons in recent years (island of happiness), FF tactics A2, a remake of the original fire emblem (shadow dragon)..and too much for me to remember really.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    I came in legitimately expecting a Rime of the Ancient Mariner game. Probably from EA and based on God of War. :(

Featuring a demonic albatross as a level boss.

/englishnerd

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    Wait a minute. You stopped playing your DSLite because it had too many games you wanted, yet you are looking forward to the DSi when it seems to me you would face the same problem.

Perhaps you should get a psp, the games come out much slower for that device. (Or if that is too much for you you need a DC)

:lol: Like I said, it doesn't make much sense. When the DS first started picking up speed I kept up with seemingly every release, then I got into the Wii and PC games (and other, non gaming related interests)
    at which point the DS was double dutching so fast I couldn't decide where to jump back in and largely just started ignoring it. The DSi for me is a sort of "relaunch", were I can actually go back and visit all the shit that I missed.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

/englishnerd

At which point I would erupt into rage since the Albatross was a GOOD thing, not an evil demonic thing.

/BA in English.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You really should play this game.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    jothki wrote: »

I've never been able to pin down what the game is about. Care to detail?

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

It's, uh, kind of tough to pin down in general. :P At the core it's an action RPG, since battles are real-time and you're moving around while attacking. Battles take place on both screens, so your character (Neku) is on the bottom and your in-game partner is fighting on the top. Each get their own screen but they're fighting the same enemies. You fight with Neku via touchscreen and fight with the partner via D-pad presses—simultaneously, though the battles flow best when you alternate attacks and build up a rhythm of passing attack chains back and forth between screens.

What's cool about it is how customizable the entire game is. Attacks boil down to a number of emo-style pins your character has, and each pin has it's own different effect: Slash across enemy to cut it, tap to fire a bullet, press and hold on enemy to freeze it, etc. You get an ass-ton of pins, so you can pick and choose what motions and moves you use to fight. There are also no random battles aside from mandatory story fights—you choose what class of enemies to fight from a subset menu, depending on who's in the area. There are a ton of other variables, but it essentially boils down to you being able to dial up or down almost every aspect of the game to fit your mood of play. Crank up the difficulty to get better enemy drops, or drop your own level temporarily to increase drop rates. If you can't beat a boss, dial down the difficulty and make it easier for yourself. If you're having trouble with getting one pin to work right, just swap it out for another one.

There's also the modern trendy Japanese setting and atmosphere, which is love it or hate it. I felt like it worked because the game is actually set in modern Japan and you're dealing with regular kids with cell phones and text messages. It's set up as kind of a mystery, where your character wakes up in an alternate universe version of Shibuya and has to figure out why he's there, who put him there and how he can get out.

I liked it a lot because it's the most crazily different and unique RPG any company has put out in a while, let alone Square Enix.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

:you hit Giant Albatross for 39 damage
    :you have killed Giant Albatross!
    :you lose 39,575 XP

SammyF on
  • Options
    AlthaneAlthane Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not to mention, Postgame TWEWY is huge, and you can spend tons of time grinding out your pins... or not, because it doesn't particularly matter if you do, other than being cool (and some of them evolve to different forms... it's really fun).

Basically, your weapons level up and change into different (usually better) weapons. Sometimes they change into different styles of weapons.

If you're going to play one RPG on the DS, this is -the- RPG to play just because it's so awesome.

Althane on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oy wey! The magnitude of the gba library ...

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

/englishnerd

At which point I would erupt into rage since the Albatross was a GOOD thing, not an evil demonic thing.

/BA in English.

Actually while the albatross is typically a sign of good luck for sailors, the one in Rime of the Ancient Mariner was shot by the title character, after which he was forced to wear it around his neck until, well, he and the rest of his crew died. So it became a cross to bear, which is generally considered a bad thing.

/MA in English

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

This is an awesome unintentional pun.

It's been explained, but I'll chime in with this recommendation too.

It's the best game on the DS.

/englishnerd

/BA in English.

Actually while the albatross is typically a sign of good luck for sailors, the one in Rime of the Ancient Mariner was shot by the title character, after which he was forced to wear it around his neck until, well, he and the rest of his crew died. So it became a cross to bear, which is generally considered a bad thing.

/MA in English

Yeah, but he had to endure that because he shot a good thing, instead of just letting it do its thing.

/high school diploma

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

/englishnerd

/BA in English.

/MA in English

You're assuming the mariner literally died, which I don't think is ever made explicitly clear. The albatross is a symbol of good in the same way that the cross is a symbol of good. Both represent terrible things that ultimately lead to salvation.

But we're getting way off topic. How bout them DS games, huh? There sure are a lot of them!

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And now I feel dumb because I love the Iron Maiden song but could never be arsed to read the story it's based on.

I'm quite partial to Etrian Odessy and it's sequel, though you have to be a fan of very...classic and patient RPGs. Honestly if you can't decide just pick the top two or three most interesting games from each genre you're interested in and RNG 'em or something. What's the point of a game system if your too busy trying to decide what you should play to actually play any games?

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

...is irrelevant when discussing someone picking up a DSi. :P

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Vyolynce wrote: »

...is irrelevant when discussing someone picking up a DSi. :P

Until Nintendo puts a GBA emulator on DSiware and charges you for the same games again.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The GBA is behind me. The only game I would consider buying is Wendy: Every Witch Way, because I love the idea that the people who made it thought that name sounded innocent.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Personally I was hoping for a Wetrix retrospective. That game would be so badass with modern computing.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Order of Ecclesia, TWEWY and DQV are all candidates for best game on the system.
    It's going back a bit further, but if you don't have Rocket Slime, get it now.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well I'll definitely consider TWEWY now that it's received such a ringing endorsement. Other games on my list are Ninja Gaiden DS, GTA: CW, Rhythm Heaven, and maybe OoE (I was burnt out on Castlevania when PoR came out, but I think now i'm ready for another go round.

Anyone have Valkyrie Profile? I was battling between that and Suikoden and I think i'll go for Valkyrie (Apparently Suikoden is too easy).

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SammyF wrote: »

:you hit Giant Albatross for 39 damage
    :you have killed Giant Albatross!
    :you lose 39,575 XP

:Game Over.

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The whole "DS has too many good games" problem affects me too. I bought a DS recently and have quite a few good games:

- Chrono Trigger
    - Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
    - Elite Beat Agents
    - Feel the Magic XY/XX
    - Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
    - Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer

Yet the only ones I've put any amount of time into at all is Chinatown Wars (and even then, only a few hours) and Elite Beat Agents (stuck at Jumpin' Jack Flash on 3-Star difficulty). This is the reason I have not picked up Henry Hatsworth and Pokemon Platinum yet. I pick up my DS, gaze at my collection, get indecisive and then just pop in a PS3 game instead.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Castlevania: The Order of Ecclesia is one of the best games I've played in a LONG LONG while.
    FFTA2 is very fun but I haven't sunk my teeth into it yet.
    Chrono Trigger is a must-have if you haven't already played the shit out of it for SNES.
    TWEWY... meh. I didn't really enjoy it. I must have been expecting something else.
    Retro Game Challenge was great fun.. then I got to the RPG and I haven't really picked it up since. Still worth the purchase IMO.

GL.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TWEWY is incredible.

Rhythm Heaven is coming soon and you shouldn't miss it. It's fantastic too.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would buy a DSi if someone released a racing game similar to Racing Gears Advance for it. Fuck I love that game, and I need a GBA slot to play it. I do have a Gamecube with a GB Player attached in a box in the basement, though....

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This was my problem with GameTap. There were so many games on the service that I was interested in, that in the end, I ended up getting paralyzed on what to play and just went back to my consoles.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This happen to anyone else? Also, what are the biggest gems for the DS in the past year or so? The only title I played religiously was the Ace Attorney series. Everything else is fair game.

I understand your predicament; I'll find myself finishing up playing a game only to realize that the game after the game I was planning to buy had already come out!

I resolve the situation thusly: Pick the game I'm more "in the mood for" and buy that. Either get the other one later, or, when I finish the recently bought game, make the same decision - buy the one I'm "in the mood for." Maybe it's the new one, maybe its the former.

The fact is, it's a great "problem" to have when there are literally more awesome games available than you have time and money to buy. It means you never have to "settle" for something mediocre just to have something to play.

As far as recommendations, I can point to you here.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Retro Game Challenge was great fun.. then I got to the RPG and I haven't really picked it up since. Still worth the purchase IMO.

Do yourself a favor and at least try the RPG. I usually can't stand classic NES-style JRPGs, so I assumed I'd just slog through it ASAP to unlock Haggle Man 3, but I found myself legitimately enjoying it.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    4rch3nemy wrote: »

Do yourself a favor and at least try the RPG. I usually can't stand classic NES-style JRPGs, so I assumed I'd just slog through it ASAP to unlock Haggle Man 3, but I found myself legitimately enjoying it.

I'm the same way when it comes to this style of RPG, and while I didn't love it, I enjoyed playing it enough to get through the challenges.

freakish light on