As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your Favorite Animals

• Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    1.0 Sweat bee: Light, ephemeral, almost fruity. A tiny spark has singed a single hair on your arm.

1.2 Fire ant: Sharp, sudden, mildly alarming. Like walking across a shag carpet & reaching for the light switch.

1.8 Bullhorn acacia ant: A rare, piercing, elevated sort of pain. Someone has fired a staple into your cheek.

2.0 Bald-faced hornet: Rich, hearty, slightly crunchy. Similar to getting your hand mashed in a revolving door.

2.0 Yellowjacket: Hot and smoky, almost irreverent. Imagine W. C. Fields extinguishing a cigar on your tongue.

2.x Honey bee and European hornet: Like a matchhead that flips off and burns on your skin.

3.0 Red harvester ant: Bold and unrelenting. Somebody is using a drill to excavate your ingrown toenail.

3.0 Paper wasp: Caustic & burning. Distinctly bitter aftertaste. Like spilling a beaker of hydrochloric acid on a paper cut.

4.0 Tarantula hawk: Blinding, fierce, shockingly electric. A running hair drier has been dropped into your bubble bath.

4.0+ Bullet ant: Pure, intense, brilliant pain. Like fire-walking over flaming charcoal with a 3-inch rusty nail in your heel.
    That guy was totally spanking it when he wrote this.
    Macera wrote: »
    This thread has gone on long enough without mentioning them.

The time has come to unleash the giant isopods.
    Not only did I mention them, I mentioned them twice, and I asked "please don't."

GungHo on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    GungHo wrote: »

Not only did I mention them, I mentioned them twice, and I asked "please don't."

Oops. Looking back, I see you're right. Apologies.

Do you want me to take down the images?

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    On the last page someone posted pictures of jumping spiders, and I just found one! I was in my room and saw a tiny dot on my mattress, and upon closer inspection I see that it's a jumping spider. Eureka! I caught him in a little jar and looked at him for about 10 minutes before releasing him into the wild. I normally don't like spiders, but as for him, I approve!

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How does one even remove a mantis shrimp from their tank?

You know, it would be pretty awesome to have a tank for mantis shrimp. You'd just need, like, three feet of glass.

Getting them out usually involves a trap. You can rig up something so they can enter but can't exit, and they're greedy so they'll take any bait usually. And if you're fast, you don't need anything more than like a plastic bottle. They won't just freak out and start punching the walls right away, so it's easy to get it out quick and do whatever with it. The hard part is FINDING it at first.

And YouTube mantis shrimp. It's scary. People do keep a tank just for a mantis, and you CAN keep them in a normal tank if you want - they won't just attack the glass for no reason. The problem comes from having a snail cleaning the glass, and he goes and smacks it THROUGH the glass. I think 3 inches is the minimum they say if you're going to keep one, if i remember right.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Now that I look more closely, the mantis shrimp kind of looks like Wall-E in that picture, with it's almost box like body, big eyes, and little arms.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009

Whatever, don't cave to pussies in the animal thread!

They're spoilered anyway.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Starcross wrote: »
    Giant isopods aren't even the worst isopods. The worst ones are the entirely non-fictional ones that crawl into a fish's mouth, eat then replace it's tongue. I'm not going to post a picture, even though I could, out of respect for every one here's sanity.

And then one day the isopods realized
    IT WORKS ON HUMANS, TOO.

desc on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    desc wrote: »
    Giant isopods aren't even the worst isopods. The worst ones are the entirely non-fictional ones that crawl into a fish's mouth, eat then replace it's tongue. I'm not going to post a picture, even though I could, out of respect for every one here's sanity.

IT WORKS ON HUMANS, TOO.

What would you do if you were talking to someone and you just happened to see the flash of an isopod's black eye against a pale white mass inside the other person's mouth?

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    desc wrote: »

IT WORKS ON HUMANS, TOO.

Nah, probably not. I don't think most people would just let a crustacean replace their tongue.

Hachface on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What would you do if you were talking to someone and you just happened to see the flash of an isopod's black eye against a pale white mass inside the other person's mouth?

Personally, I would go insane forever. But that's just me.
    Hachface wrote: »
    Nah, probably not. I don't think most people would just let a crustacean replace their tongue.

Oh probably not, unless of course they fell asleep with their mouth open, not realizing which lifeforms that had stowed away in their new addition to the aquarium near their bed.

desc on
  • Options
    BulovaBulova Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I have no such qualms. Don't look if you have a weak gag reflex.
    Tongue-replacement-isopod-1.jpg

Bulova on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The worst part of that picture isn't even the isopod. It's the fish's teeth.

Hachface on
  • Options
    BulovaBulova Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm too lazy to go all the way back in this thread, so if someone has already posted this little guy, apologies.

He's unbelievably cute. I'm not even sure he's of this world. L & G, I present for your viewing pleasure ...

the aye-aye.
    aye.jpg

Go on, give him a hug. You know you want to.

Bulova on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A new favourite animal that i just discovered: the clione or sea angel which is a type of sea slug. Notable for its method of feeding, where its previously cute face bursts into a mass of tentacles like, well I don't know what but i bet someone here can think of a fictional monster from something that does exactly that.

Apologies for the video, but it's the best i could find that shows the feeding

Starcross on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bulova wrote: »

I have no such qualms. Don't look if you have a weak gag reflex.
    Tongue-replacement-isopod-1.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks that the isopod looks kind of cute? I mean, it's not hurting the fish all that much, they don't actually eat the tongue, they stem blood flow to it so it atrophies.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    Jumping spiders are awful because spiders are terrible enough without giving them the ability to leap for your throat

Jumping spiders are extremely small.
    Yeah, they're tiny. And awesome. here's some of my photos from working up near Cairns, its bug city there:
    Bluejumper.jpg
    velour_dragonfly.jpg
    spottymoth.jpg
    fancyjumper.jpg
    bluedragon.jpg

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    MeowsvilleMeowsville Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This thread reminds me of "Eagle vs. Shark" ...when I look at these I think about which one I would dress as at a 'dress as your favorite animal party'

Meowsville on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Cat wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    Jumping spiders are awful because spiders are terrible enough without giving them the ability to leap for your throat

Jumping spiders are extremely small.
    Yeah, they're tiny. And awesome. here's some of my photos from working up near Cairns, its bug city there:
    Bluejumper.jpg
    velour_dragonfly.jpg
    spottymoth.jpg
    fancyjumper.jpg
    bluedragon.jpg

Those are some awesome bugs. NW Washington has some pretty bland bugs imo.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    KG3000KG3000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There is this one dragonfly I've seen in Japan that is pretty cool. It's wings are black, but they don't seem like regular dragonfly wings. They look like they are made out of silk. It also flies in an odd way, more of a bouncy floaty flying style as opposed to the quick movements of a regular dragonfly.

Can't find a picture of it. Damn.

KG3000 on
    What?
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Nah. It's fine. Spoiling the nightmare fuel keeps my pansy ass safe from the evil things from the deep 8-)

And, you didn't post the image that I really hate. Which I will post now.
    a538d00261b9de62f32a66b1c04bf34f29b90f09_m.jpg

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

GungHo on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, the house I used to live in was always swarming with spiders. One of the more interesting ones, which I just found out is a woodlouse spider, has a brownish abdomen that we would sometimes mistake for a coffee bean and try to pick up off the floor. Kinda cool that they specialize on roly-polies.
    maleo.jpg

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So being an entomologist insects and chelicerates don't particularly frighten me. From time to time I do outreaches with other grad students to elementary schools and the like and show them things like
    emperor_scorpion_2.jpg
    without any problems. In fact, the emperor scorpions we have are so used to being looked at and handled, they are fairly safe to hold in your hand.

One early morning around 4am the mood to go to the terlet struck me, and what did I see in front of me when I turned on the light.
    Bbasgen-bark-scorpion.jpg
    Needless to say I was a tad scared. Unlike the Emperor Scorpions that depend on their claws to subdue prey and fight off predators, these guys rely primarily on their venom. This dude was ready to fight too, pincers were cocked and loaded and it basically followed me around the room as a searched for the nearest object to beat the crap out of it. In hindsight I wish I hadn't demolished it and flushed the remains down the toilet.

Oh yes, it was an Arizona Bark Scorpion. From Wikipedia:
    The Bark Scorpion is the most venomous scorpion in North America, and its venom can cause severe pain (coupled with numbness and tingling) in adult humans, typically lasting between 24 to 72 hours. Temporary dysfunction in the area stung is common; e.g. a hand or possibly arm can be immobilized or experience convulsions. It also may cause the loss of breath for a short period of time. Due to the extreme pain induced, many victims describe sensations of electrical jolts after envenomation.

Wazza on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wazza wrote: »

Oh yes, it was an Arizona Bark Scorpion. From Wikipedia:
    The Bark Scorpion is the most venomous scorpion in North America, and its venom can cause severe pain (coupled with numbness and tingling) in adult humans, typically lasting between 24 to 72 hours. Temporary dysfunction in the area stung is common; e.g. a hand or possibly arm can be immobilized or experience convulsions. It also may cause the loss of breath for a short period of time. Due to the extreme pain induced, many victims describe sensations of electrical jolts after envenomation.

Those little bastards used to be all around the house when I was younger and the area was still in development. They'd just run into your house and hide under the couch or something. Theres a reason if you live anywhere in an developing or desert area you get an exterminator. Those little guys are mean as can be.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Those little bastards used to be all around the house when I was younger and the area was still in development. They'd just run into your house and hide under the couch or something. Theres a reason if you live anywhere in an developing or desert area you get an exterminator. Those little guys are mean as can be.

Yeah, I hadn't seen one before and I haven't seen one since. I have no idea how it got into my room.

Wazza on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My grandpa found one of those bark scorpions in his living room when I was young and gave it to me as a pet, ha. After he had a pretty unpleasant go at a cricket we gave him, my mum decided we didn't need it around and took it to some local entomologist, who then told us how damn poisonous it actually was.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Scorpions freak me the fuck out. I generally have issues with things that have stingers anyway, and the scorpion's is just so goddamn terrifying with the range of motion and speed it has.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you tap their back with a ball point pen they will stab themselves and end up killing them selves with their own poison. Its wonderful if you trap one and have the balls to reach that close.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you tap their back with a ball point pen they will stab themselves and end up killing them selves with their own poison. Its wonderful if you trap one and have the balls to reach that close.

This is the worst thing. Why would you admit to knowing this, much less promote it?

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

That's weird. I thought that venomous and poisonous animals were generally immune to their own toxin.

Hachface on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

This is the worst thing. Why would you admit to knowing this, much less promote it?

Why is that so bad? I can't imagine it's much (if any) worse a death than just getting squashed, which is what I would do otherwise.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    OremLK wrote: »

Why is that so bad? I can't imagine it's much (if any) worse a death than just getting squashed, which is what I would do otherwise.

The scorpion dies doing what it loves.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Aaaaaaaaaaaand while I was reading Wikipedia to get you guys some fun facts (it can hear insects walking on sand!) I found out it can be a pet so I need to go now, later.

EDIT: $1,000. Checking for legality in New York (it's legal to own one in the US, but varies by local laws). I have no money, so I am 99.999% sure I am not going through with this (especially on a whim), but when you suddenly realize that the animal I dragged my parents to the zoo so I could see when I was 11 could live in my house.
    A friend of mine in the US has them (among many other animals) to be sold as pets. He says his opinions went from "awwwwww, cuuuuuuute!" to "hellspawn!" right quick after they got a couple. From them going instantly aggressive whenever he's around (probably a gender thing, they're okay with his wife) to the cute factor going down significantly once you've seen them up close. If you're seriously considering it I'd make damn sure the animal doesn't hate you on the spot, he showed me bite scars from the things. :P

Glal on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I guess lemurs qualify as middle ground between cute and terrifying. My favorite, the slender loris:

slenderloris.JPG

_42455825_slender_loris_zoo_gal.jpg
    "No, Mister Bond, I expect you to die!"

Their eyes are really big:
    bc-266-lg.jpg

Star-nosed moles. Like baby old gods from the center of the earth:

star_nosed_moles1360x6732274580.jpg

Lastly, this thread needs hairy-nosed wombats.

610x.jpg
    "We're sad because we're about to go extinct."

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No, lemurs and lorises are just "cute".

I also feel sorry for the endangered pigbunnies.

Duffel on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey now, don't forget the Wombat is the official animal mascot of PA.

Vombatus_ursinus_%28Wombat_in_snow%29.jpg

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    No, lemurs and lorises are just "cute".

I also feel sorry for the endangered pigbunnies.

I have no idea what it is, but 90% of the time, at many random zoos, the Lemurs make the WORST noises ever when my girlfriend looks at them. It's scary and so weird. I've seen lemurs at the zoo (ring tailed, all sorts of lemurs!) and they look cute. But when I've taken my girlfriend, they make this deep, gutteral honest-to-god hellspawn noise that makes them demonic and scary.

We usually go late, and the time we went to the Cleveland zoo they have a "House of Lemurs" and one started so it was this horrible chain reaction -- but someone should see if that noise lives online somewhere. It is just the scariest noise ever.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    OremLK wrote: »

The scorpion dies doing what it loves.

The last one I caught in my house got squished by a 20 pound barbell weight. I think a toxin that shuts them down is more humane than the last thing going through their brain being their eyes.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Honestly, I doubt they feel much if you drop a huge weight on them.

If a 20-ton looney tunes-esque block of metal fell on you from 100 feet up I doubt you'd be feeling much either.

Duffel on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My favorite animal is the esquilax.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My favorite animal is the esquilax.
    The little known cousin of a more well-known animal.
    snorlax.gif

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png