As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quoth the [Crow], "I'm Fucking Awesome."

• Options
    UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No, this makes you a super nerd:

there's already one, at least in 3.5. Tengu from MM3.

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009

No no no. Not humanoid crows. I mean... an actual murder of crow as a player character. I think it would be an interesting experiment to role play as a murder of crows. They would be a non-human intelligence, but they are familiar enough that you know they don't behave anything like humans so you wouldn't just conflate human intelligence on to a non-human intelligence.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    But ... where does the magic sword go? Besides into a display with which to attract a mate.

Good God man, how do you carry your Electrum?

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I watched a video where scientists attached a camera to the tail feathers of a crow so it observed the doings of the crow from under its body. During footage that shows it picking up a stick to use elsewhere, it shits, which falls right in front of the camera.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ilmmad wrote: »
    So I watched a video where scientists attached a camera to the tail feathers of a crow so it observed the doings of the crow from under its body. During footage that shows it picking up a stick to use elsewhere, it shits, which falls right in front of the camera.
    link?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Do you mean Kenku? Anyways, I saw a crow for the first time in Dallas last week. I've always wanted a pet one before. I hear that you can get a non-native species of crow or raven though it's hella expensive.....maybe some day.:|

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I love the birds from the Corvidae family. Too bad I don't see many ravens around where I live. It's mostly Corvus Cornix, but I'm not a big fan of the dirty grey coloring they have. Corvus Corax are much more awesome. Corvus Monedula are also around quite a bit.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGPGknpq3e0

Has this been posted?
    Freakin crazy!

variant on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So, today is rubbish day and all the rubbish bins are out on the street. One of my neighbours overfilled their bin, so the lid was partially open. A murder of crows was taking advantage of this, gathering around the trash bin and picking scraps out of the trash.

So, I see this and I let out a loud caw in their direction. They all raise their heads and turn and look at me with a look of, "What the hell did he just say?" Then they all started sneaking glances at each other, probably thinking "Did the hairless monkey just say 'cheese kittens'? What the hell does that even mean?" And then they went back to scavenging.

If they could, I swear the crows would have done the Picard facepalm at the expense of my idiocy.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    When I used to live in California, we had a cat, and I would constantly see him sitting on top of our fence with a whole bunch of crows, like 15 of them, flying around and diving at him, with him batting away and having a blast--they never once touched him or tried to hurt them, but rather they seemed to be enjoying it as much as he was. It was so odd.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    variant wrote: »
    Has this been posted?
    Freakin crazy!

Fantastic. I remember seeing what were, at least to me, huge crows while living in Yokohama. In retrospect, I'm sure they were merely medium-sized urban crows, but all the same. I do recall having seen them drop nuts (and other things, like snacks or cookies in small containers) while flying, but I'd never see any of them actually master the use of traffic, much less wait at a pedestrian crossing.

It's amazing that the crow was willing to go through that much trouble--perhaps they just really like the taste of nuts?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Corvus, have you ever been to Vancouver Island? Say, Parksville? I camped at Rath Trevor campground all the time when I was a kid and the place was literally ruled by crows. Hilarious actually. They're sly devils.

Also this video is AWESOME:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2E7akTESzA&feature=related

I love how he talks to it like a human.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh, that video is pretty damn great. The bird is all "Fuck off man, my bag, my bottle."

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Frankly it reminded me of some stoner college student trying to steal his buddy's food. Reduced to animal noises and all that. And his buddy feels too sorry for him to do anything other than "zipping his shit up".

Haha, and he gives him water later, but the stoner bird can't open it.

On a serious note I would have been truly impressed if the raven was able to open a spout top of a water bottle.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The part that actually impresses me most is that it knows how to open it, realizes that it can't, gets frustrated, and just hits the thing.

EDIT: The guy has a whole series of videos from this one encounter. The bird ends up following him when he tries to leave the campground table. Awesome.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    god I love these creatures.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Shit, not only can they read, but they're studying classic literature? We as a species are screwed.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    WTF how did I miss this thread the first time?

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Shit, not only can they read, but they're studying classic literature? We as a species are screwed.
    only if they aquire thumbs.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm sure they're working on thumbs as we speak, in some shadowy hollow in the deepest woods.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    namelessnameless Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Crows always attack me and I hate them for it. It got worse when I dyed my hair black. Basically, fuck crows, and I am at war with them.

nameless on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    nameless wrote: »
    Crows always attack me and I hate them for it. It got worse when I dyed my hair black. Basically, fuck crows, and I am at war with them.

Rest in peace, nameless. You may not know it, but you've already lost the battle. You may not be dead today, but if you're at war with the crows, you will be.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    The Boy SatelliteThe Boy Satellite Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    this...this was awesome.

The Boy Satellite on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've been working in a national park lately and among the wildlife we commonly see are some enormous crows; they're about twice the size of the crows that we usually see around here.

I fear that they may be some form of selectively-bred supercrow, who will form the warrior caste of our coming New World Order.

Duffel on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Frankly, I am assuming that there is a secret Crow cabal that is developing mechanical thumbs. It will just be easier if I start accepting it now.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hunh. It's interesting that they're such effective tool-users while being, you know, literal birdbrains. I wonder how much direct brain science has been done on them to explain why they seem better able to adapt to tool using than any animal except us. I mean an ape would be cool, but not exactly surprising. A bird is just weird.

Edit: I mean, the most interesting part to me is that, at least I think it's likely, crows are not actually very "smart". They certainly shouldn't be better at abstract goal-oriented thinking than any given great ape, but they're obviously better than anything we've seen at figuring out tools. And even weirder, these articles mention that the crows don't seem to use tools in the wild. So what makes them good at it, but never comes up in their daily lives? And why would they get so good when some things with friggin thumbs are still pretty bad?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    The Boy SatelliteThe Boy Satellite Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    selectively-bred supercrow
    +
    mechanical thumbs
    +
    able to adapt to tool using

D:

The Boy Satellite on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hunh. It's interesting that they're such effective tool-users while being, you know, literal birdbrains. I wonder how much direct brain science has been done on them to explain why they seem better able to adapt to tool using than any animal except us. I mean an ape would be cool, but not exactly surprising. A bird is just weird.

Edit: I mean, the most interesting part to me is that, at least I think it's likely, crows are not actually very "smart". They certainly shouldn't be better at abstract goal-oriented thinking than any given great ape, but they're obviously better than anything we've seen at figuring out tools. And even weirder, these articles mention that the crows don't seem to use tools in the wild. So what makes them good at it, but never comes up in their daily lives? And why would they get so good when some things with friggin thumbs are still pretty bad?

A bird isn't so weird. Keep in mind that, along with mammals, birds are the most highly evolved class on the planet. Also, it's been long accepted that brain size doesn't matter. I mean, whales have brains that weigh more than you or I, but aren't more intelligent than us.

However, I disagree. I think it's likely that crows are actually very smart. They engage in tool making, but beyond that, they engage in tool making that involves transforming objects they haven't seen in nature. For example, the video of the crow making a hook out of a paper clip demonstrates that the crow is able to reason about the immutable properties of a paper clip and then transform it into something useful.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    One of my middle school teachers had a theory that crows were slowly evolving to be bigger and bigger, noting that crows we see around now are a lot bigger than ones she remembered seeing as a kid. She figured that this would continue until they were the size of velociraptors and started either hunting humans or just breaking into our kitchens and taking food directly out of the fridge.

Smurph on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Crows vs Japan

Highlights include building dummy nest and causing a blackout.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh my god! They're evolving into bad roommates!

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Actually, crows have displayed, in many ways, better abstract thinking than chimpanzees and gorillas. Also, I don't know why these articles say that crows don't use tools in the wild, I'm pretty sure I have seen multiple accounts of them doing so.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I thought that one you posted mentioned that. Oh, but now that I think about it it's probably "tools they don't use in the wild" or something, mentioning that they adapt to lab conditions.

Still, though, why crows specifically? Why no other bird? Have we just not observed it in other birds? I wonder if they teach, or if this comes to each of them naturally. It boggles the hell out of me.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

A bird isn't so weird. Keep in mind that, along with mammals, birds are the most highly evolved class on the planet. Also, it's been long accepted that brain size doesn't matter. I mean, whales have brains that weigh more than you or I, but aren't more intelligent than us.

However, I disagree. I think it's likely that crows are actually very smart. They engage in tool making, but beyond that, they engage in tool making that involves transforming objects they haven't seen in nature. For example, the video of the crow making a hook out of a paper clip demonstrates that the crow is able to reason about the immutable properties of a paper clip and then transform it into something useful.

God help us when one of the little buggers figures out how to sharpen something. We're all dead.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I thought that one you posted mentioned that. Oh, but now that I think about it it's probably "tools they don't use in the wild" or something, mentioning that they adapt to lab conditions.

Still, though, why crows specifically? Why no other bird? Have we just not observed it in other birds? I wonder if they teach, or if this comes to each of them naturally. It boggles the hell out of me.

There was this guy on NPR regaling us with a tale of how he'd wronged a certain crow, and for years after that every crow in the murder... even subsequent generations of crows... would squawk at him, and only him, whenever he passed by their roost. I guess he'd assumed that the original crow had spread the word that this dude was baaaaad.

edit: my spelling is atroeshus.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

They DEFINITELY do teach each other. There was an experiment where the researcher set up a vending machine that took normal coins and dispensed food. The researcher scattered coins around the vending machine and the crows learned to deposit the coins to get food.

Then, the researcher stopped scattering coins and the crows left. However, occasionally, a crow would come back with a coin and deposit it to get food. In addition to that, crows that weren't part of the original group were coming to the vending machine and depositing coins to get food.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

There was this guy on NPR regaling us with a tale of how he'd wronged a certain crow, and for years after that every crow in the murder... even subsequent generations of crows... would squawk at him, and only him, whenever he passed by their roost. I guess he'd assumed that the original crow had spread the word that this dude was baaaaad.

edit: my spelling is atroeshus.

I heard that segment.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

They DEFINITELY do teach each other. There was an experiment where the researcher set up a vending machine that took normal coins and dispensed food. The researcher scattered coins around the vending machine and the crows learned to deposit the coins to get food.

Then, the researcher stopped scattering coins and the crows left. However, occasionally, a crow would come back with a coin and deposit it to get food. In addition to that, crows that weren't part of the original group were coming to the vending machine and depositing coins to get food.

That's just awesome.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »

That's just awesome.

The big question I want to know is, do they teach their young these things? The comment about the NPR guy getting harassed by generations of crow's makes me think so.

If that's the case, we need to start exterminating them now.

Just think, two hundred years from now, they'll have discovered a system to effectively use pistols and knives, and a lucky crow that slips into a nuclear missile silo will return to his black-feathered compatriots and tell them the secret to wiping humanity from the face of the planet.

Archonex on