As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metered Broadband coming to my apartment complex

SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I only have two options for highspeed internet at my home, AT&T and Time Warner. And supposedly they are both going to be switching charge-you-by-the-gigabyte payment plans soon.

Ballsacks.

How fucked am I going to be here...if fucked at all? Most of my internet time includes World Of Warcraft, YouTube, and the occasional Netflix stream.
It’s hard to get info since most sites that have reported on this have very few hard facts. Just speculation and forums filled with ranting and flaming.
So has anyone here had first hand experience with metered billing? Is it as horrible as its made out to be?

Sakebomb on

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You could call their customer service numbers and ask.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What are the details of the plan? If its "charge you per gigabyte for everything over 200gb a month" then you aren't in too bad a position. Just don't grab those Ubuntu install dvd images over and over.

Your only other recourse is to move, or get a different broadband type (sat ?) , or get a t1 to your apratment, set up QOS metering and sell it to the other residents.

FIOS isn't there ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Depends - is it pure "price per GB" a la carte plans, or is there a set cap you get for $X a month? Average usage for NetFlix is about 2GB a movie - double that for HD. Blizzard's FAQ says 21MB/hr for WoW. So if you're getting the cap at 10GB/month and then having to pay-as-you-go above that, you'll be hurting. 40GB, not so bad, but either way, metered broadband can suck my nutsack on a warm, humid day.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    What are the details of the plan? If its "charge you per gigabyte for everything over 200gb a month" then you aren't in too bad a position. Just don't grab those Ubuntu install dvd images over and over.

Your only other recourse is to move, or get a different broadband type (sat ?) , or get a t1 to your apratment, set up QOS metering and sell it to the other residents.

FIOS isn't there ?

Theres FIOS in central Austin, but I live on the outskrits of town. It sucks. Verizon would totally make a killing if they expanded coverage to my area.

Theres no solid details yet. Just a statement from thier CEO saying his going to implement the plan in Austin "similar" to the metered plans already in effect in other cities.

I imagine streamed Netflix movies eat up alot of bandwidth, but I have no idea how much my online gaming consumes. EDIT: Thanx PeregrineFalcon

Sakebomb on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sakebomb wrote: »
    I only have two options for highspeed internet at my home, AT&T and Time Warner. And supposedly they are both going to be switching charge-you-by-the-gigabyte payment plans soon.

Ballsacks.

How fucked am I going to be here...if fucked at all? Most of my internet time includes World Of Warcraft, YouTube, and the occasional Netflix stream.
    It’s hard to get info since most sites that have reported on this have very few hard facts. Just speculation and forums filled with ranting and flaming.
    So has anyone here had first hand experience with metered billing? Is it as horrible as its made out to be?

D:

Last I checked, the Time Warner plan was two plans, one with a cap of something like 5 gb per month, the other at 40 gb. That's bad enough, but per-gig billing is going to piss me off.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sakebomb wrote: »
    RoundBoy wrote: »

FIOS isn't there ?

Theres FIOS in central Austin, but I live on the outskrits of town. It sucks. Verizon would totally make a killing if they expanded coverage to my area.

Theres no solid details yet. Just a statement from thier CEO saying his going to implement the plan in Austin "similar" to the metered plans already in effect in other cities.

I imagine streamed Netflix movies eat up alot of bandwidth, but I have no idea how much my online gaming consumes.

Anything that makes you download content (like maps) is going to hurt though. Most gaming shouldn't be too bad.
    Anything that streams decent quality video is going to eat bandwidth way faster than games.

Dman on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/other/04/02/0402timewarner.html
    Under the plan, customers will be charged on a tiered system based on the speed of their connection and how much they download. The tiers would start at 5 gigabytes a month and top out with a "super-tier" of 100 gigabytes per month. Customers will be asked to pay between $29.95 to $54.90 for up to 40 gigabytes, Dudley said. The $29.95 price would be lower than most Central Texas customers currently pay for the service.

The company says it has not yet figured out what it will charge for the "super-tier."

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/other/04/02/0402timewarner.html
    Under the plan, customers will be charged on a tiered system based on the speed of their connection and how much they download. The tiers would start at 5 gigabytes a month and top out with a "super-tier" of 100 gigabytes per month. Customers will be asked to pay between $29.95 to $54.90 for up to 40 gigabytes, Dudley said. The $29.95 price would be lower than most Central Texas customers currently pay for the service.

The company says it has not yet figured out what it will charge for the "super-tier."

Nice find! Thanks

Sakebomb on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    $55 for 40GB seems pretty ridiculous. I'll personally be looking at other options, like Grande Communications.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    $55 for 40GB seems pretty ridiculous. I'll personally be looking at other options, like Grande Communications.

If only they served me. I hate lack of competition.

Septus on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    I work for a company that does FIOS.

Some days it's amazing.

And some days it's not.

S'all I can really say.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sheep wrote: »

Some days it's amazing.

And some days it's not.

S'all I can really say.

I would fucking kill for FIOS up here. Canada needs someone else to compete with Bell and "Local CableCo."

Seriously, even the 20/5 line (second tier of four) would be such a huge fucking improvement over "Must be some poor lines in your area" Bell and "Yeah, we should upgrade that node" CableCo. :x

Although I'd probably pony up the extra $10 for the 20/20 line. Shit would be awesome.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    prfntbtrprfntbtr Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I recently (~7 months) moved to the Austin area, and am really concerned about this as well. The change over to per gigabyte fees are supposed to be a few months down the road, and supposedly they are going to give you exact information on the 3 or so bills leading up to the switch. This information will show how much you used, total, and therefore what plan they recommend to you and how much you will pay. I am seething mad about this right now, as I use my internets fairly frequently. My girlfriend works from home, telecommuting on my PC with her office back in CA, I download things fairly frequently, play games online nearly every day, and recently have been utilizing streaming content over Netflix the past several weeks. I just KNOW that the new pricing structure is going to screw me, and it does not seem like there are a lot of companies to turn to for an alternative. I have yet to call Grande to see if they service the area my apartment is in, but this whole thing just pisses me off, it is going to be such a hassle. Time Warner explains this change as so to be fair to the users that pay for unlimited bandwidth and then only use a few gigs, but it is obvious they are just trying to squeeze users like me out of more money, and or, get more users to pay for their streaming services through their cable television product. If I can't find a viable alternative provider, I'm not sure what I am going to do... start reading more books?

prfntbtr on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In theory the idea seems fair to me, but it never seems like any providers actually lower the price more than like $5 for low-volume users. But both the cable and DSL company decided to switch over, together? What the hell?

Orogogus on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009

Some days it's amazing.

And some days it's not.

S'all I can really say.

I would fucking kill for FIOS up here. Canada needs someone else to compete with Bell and "Local CableCo."

Seriously, even the 20/5 line (second tier of four) would be such a huge fucking improvement over "Must be some poor lines in your area" Bell and "Yeah, we should upgrade that node" CableCo. :x

Although I'd probably pony up the extra $10 for the 20/20 line. Shit would be awesome.

FIOS suffers from similar problems.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How's ATT U-verse? Is it sucky like everything else? Because I'm getting it.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    How's ATT U-verse? Is it sucky like everything else? Because I'm getting it.

U-Verse is apparently going to begin metered billing this year as well.

Sakebomb on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    What the fat flying fuck.

How would that even work? Isn't U-verse TV delivered via the internet?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    What the fat flying fuck.

How would that even work? Isn't U-verse TV delivered via the internet?

Oh! No, they're a bundled service, Broadband, Digital Phone, and Television. You can pick individual services or all three.
    I was just reffering to the broadband part.
    http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-Starts-Metered-Billing-Trial-In-Reno-98856
    https://uversecentral1.att.com/uvp/home/explore?umaurl=/uma/RetrieveGeneralContent%3FCONTENTID%3D1496%26APPID%3DAMSS%26FORMAT%3DIFRAME%26DMA%3DX%26CUSTSUBTYPE%3DX

Sakebomb on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes, but U-verse TV is delivered via the broadband component. Whereas, if you're watching 4 HD-channels at once it can slow down your internet.

Probably not a big deal on that, but it is kinda silly that the ATT equivalent of FOIS is going to be neutered soon. I might have to think about moving.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »
    In theory the idea seems fair to me, but it never seems like any providers actually lower the price more than like $5 for low-volume users. But both the cable and DSL company decided to switch over, together? What the hell?

I think it's fair to have different pricing structures for different usages, but within reason. $30 for 5 gigs, and $55 for 40 gigs(previously unlimited) is bullshit. Make those two price points 15-20 gigs, and 80-100, and we're talking.

It's especially onerous with two total options for broadband provider.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes, but U-verse TV is delivered via the broadband component. Whereas, if you're watching 4 HD-channels at once it can slow down your internet.

Probably not a big deal on that, but it is kinda silly that the ATT equivalent of FOIS is going to be neutered soon. I might have to think about moving.

Yeah, same here. It’s really sad, but the interwebs have become woven into my daily routines so much, that when my lease is up, FIOS availability is going to be a HUGE deciding factor on where I'll be living.

Sakebomb on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Some days it's amazing.

And some days it's not.

S'all I can really say.

FIOS suffers from similar problems.

Yeah but at least this way when it is working, I don't have utter shit for speeds.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Canada needs someone else to compete with Bell and "Local CableCo."
    Canada has people competing with Bell and the cablecos. Happy TekSavvy user for the past two years, would not accept any amount of money to switch back to Bell. Yes, I know it's the same wiring and my connection goes through Bell's DSLAMs. No, that doesn't mean TekSavvy can't provide better service.

TekSavvy's customer service is so far beyond what Bell provides, it's not even funny. When I told Bell support people "I've already done X, Y and Z troubleshooting steps", they didn't care, they still took me down their stupid troubleshooting flow chart and then tried to blame my router when the flowchart landed us on the "Blame Customer's Router" node. When I tell TekSavvy people "I've already done X, Y and Z troubleshooting steps", they jump directly to doing the things I can't do: checking line quality and DSLAM configuration. I've only had to call in with issues twice since switching, in both cases it was a Bell problem. In both cases TekSavvy's support knew what they were talking about, correctly identified it was a Bell issue, confirmed that they'd logged the issue with Bell, and followed up to make sure Bell had it corrected within the 4-hour resolution window mandated by CRTC regulations. And it took less than 10 minutes on the phone both times.

In your case, it may be that you're too far from the AP for good speeds, or it may be that Bell just needs to smarten up and enable interleaving on your line to address noise and signal attenuation issues. I know they have to do that on my line because the wiring in my neighbourhood is old and shitty. Bell turns interleaving off by default because it has some overhead in terms of latency, but for my line it means my ping times go up a meager ~10-20ms on average but in exchange my speeds jump up by a factor of three compared to before. Several times while I was a Bell customer that setting got switched off and my speeds went to shit. It was always an ordeal to find someone at Bell support who could fix the problem. Most of the phone jockeys don't even know what interleaving is, and they're strongly discouraged from escalating tickets to the people who do know, so often they leave you with cruddy speeds rather than doing a thorough job of troubleshooting. I don't have this problem with TekSavvy's support, or at least I haven't so far.

TekSavvy's rates are also a ton better than Bell's. I used to pay $45/mo. to Bell, and I got dinged with overage charges for transfer over the 60GB/mo. cap. TekSavvy's monthly rate is $30, monthly cap is 200GB, overage charges are a far more reasonable $0.25/GB, and if you know you're going to go over the cap you can buy 10GB blocks of overage bandwidth ahead of time at an improved rate. Or you can do Unlimited for $40/mo. Honestly, the cost savings alone are enough to make it worth switching. When you see the improvement in service you get at the same time, it's unbelievable to me that anyone would stay with Bell. If you're an Bell ADSL customer right now, Peregrin, I'd recommend switching. Even if it doesn't result in a speed improvement, you'll get a cheaper monthly rate and far better service.

Edit: Also, you US people? Man, write your congressfolk, the FCC is totally letting you guys down.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Could always buy an internet card from your cell phone provider and get an unlimited plan, although it is a bit slower. You can also hack most newer phones and use them as a modem.

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
    Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
    http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The main problem I have with this Time Warner thing is they say they're doing it for bandwidth, but even at peak usage times, they're only at like 19% capacity of their network. They're simply a monopoly exerting pressure. I've heard a lot of local outrage already. I hope it actually goes somewhere (I doubt it).

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Without the metering I'd be willing to settle for TW whenever I moved to Austin (if, that is...). If they are still doing that, though, I will refuse to live somewhere that can't be serviced by FIOS (instead of just 'unlikely to live...').

Tomanta on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Septus wrote: »

I think it's fair to have different pricing structures for different usages, but within reason. $30 for 5 gigs, and $55 for 40 gigs(previously unlimited) is bullshit. Make those two price points 15-20 gigs, and 80-100, and we're talking.

It's especially onerous with two total options for broadband provider.

This is my issue as well. I have zero problem with bandwidth caps/metering, but 5GB a month? What. The. Fuck. Watch two HD streams on FOX.com plus normal usage, and you're over. And 40GB? That's a lot better, but if you use any services like Steam you're going to hit that pretty fucking quick as well.

I like the system people from those strange lands that talk funny mention, where when you go over you aren't necessarily charged more but you get traffic shaped for the rest of the month (or possibly just during peak hours, or other crazy schemes). Seems much more reasonable and fair.

This, on the other hand, is an obvious money grab.

EDIT: For the "how fucked" answer, it depends. If you use a DVR rather than online streaming for TV shows (assuming you watch any), limit your Netflix and YouTube usage, you should be able to stay under 40GB pretty easily. My router suggests that my non-BitTorrent bandwidth usage last month was only about 35GB, and I actually do watch a few shows on Hulu here and there, and I downloaded several games on Steam. As long as you remain aware of your bandwidth usage, it's not hard to keep it down in the 40GB range.

EDIT: But seriously? 5GB is fucking redonkulous. I could hit that on dialup.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    EDIT: For the "how fucked" answer, it depends. If you use a DVR rather than online streaming for TV shows (assuming you watch any), limit your Netflix and YouTube usage, you should be able to stay under 40GB pretty easily. My router suggests that my non-BitTorrent bandwidth usage last month was only about 35GB, and I actually do watch a few shows on Hulu here and there, and I downloaded several games on Steam. As long as you remain aware of your bandwidth usage, it's not hard to keep it down in the 40GB range.

That's what I hate about this whole thing. We shouldn't have to be limiting our bandwidth usage in 2009. This is like fucking AOL in 1994. If this becomes mainstream, all it's going to do is force web content innovation to stagnate. We were making great strides with things like Netflix and XBLA, and this is a huge step backwards.

What kind of things can we do, anyway? Is writing our representative going to do any good? Time Warner email carpet bomb?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »

That's what I hate about this whole thing. We shouldn't have to be limiting our bandwidth usage in 2009. This is like fucking AOL in 1994. If this becomes mainstream, all it's going to do is force web content innovation to stagnate. We were making great strides with things like Netflix and XBLA, and this is a huge step backwards.

What kind of things can we do, anyway? Is writing our representative going to do any good? Time Warner email carpet bomb?

That's exactly the point. Its less "bandwidth is expensive" and more "Oh shit people are competing with cable TV, better make that impossible."

And since they more or less have a monopoly, they can get away with that.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think 5 GB/month would be enough for everyone at my workplace besides me. No one watches shows on their (home) computers, and AOL era sounds about right, given the email forwards I receive from them. For all I know they are still on dialup. But $30 for that level of service is highway robbery. At $10-15 I could see it making sense for a lot of people.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've already written my representatives about this and I got back form letters to the effect of "I believe that the fair competition already existing in the marketplace will drive innovation, drive down costs, and get you the best deal for your money blah blah." I guess it couldn't hurt to mail more letters, though.

It might help to point out that this is basically the same thing as TV carriers charging their customers an hourly rate - people who watch more pay more. People would get goddamn indignant over that.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Even if FiOS is in your area, it's hard to get it in apartments. Tampa has a goddamn Verizon corporate HQ and was one of the first cities to get FiOS and a lot of apartment complexes sign exclusive bargains with the local cable juggernaught to get discount rates, and as a result, Verizon isn't even allowed to dig lines on the properties.

I recently was apartment hunting, and out of 6 places only 1 had FiOS.

But.

FiOS is goddamn amazing.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Even if FiOS is in your area, it's hard to get it in apartments. Tampa has a goddamn Verizon corporate HQ and was one of the first cities to get FiOS and a lot of apartment complexes sign exclusive bargains with the local cable juggernaught to get discount rates, and as a result, Verizon isn't even allowed to dig lines on the properties.

That's probably going to be a problem here in Austin because Time Warner has a pretty big foothold. They do sign a lot of exclusivity agreements with apartments.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The main problem I have with this Time Warner thing is they say they're doing it for bandwidth, but even at peak usage times, they're only at like 19% capacity of their network.

Is this true? Why would the cable companies overbuild so much? I know 10 years ago people were always saying how cable modem service suffered whenever there were too many people subscribed, so presumably they've been expanding their hardware to meet demand. But it seems unlike any non-governmental entity to expand to 5 times more than what's needed instead of just dicking over people who don't get in.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The main problem I have with this Time Warner thing is they say they're doing it for bandwidth, but even at peak usage times, they're only at like 19% capacity of their network.

Is this true? Why would the cable companies overbuild so much? I know 10 years ago people were always saying how cable modem service suffered whenever there were too many people subscribed, so presumably they've been expanding their hardware to meet demand. But it seems unlike any non-governmental entity to expand to 5 times more than what's needed instead of just dicking over people who don't get in.

Well, it could be dubious. I heard it from a local call in radio show. The guy said he worked in the field and could see Road Runners network statistics and that's the number he gave out. He said they're normally around 15%. The host asked about peak times, 5-7 in the evening, and he said 19%.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Well, it could be dubious. I heard it from a local call in radio show. The guy said he worked in the field and could see Road Runners network statistics and that's the number he gave out. He said they're normally around 15%. The host asked about peak times, 5-7 in the evening, and he said 19%.

I work for a different cable company and I regularly see nodes that barely use the bandwidth set aside for them. And I see some that use 80-90%. It is going to depend on a lot of factors. Now, it is rare for me to see the entire MARKET using less than, say, 50% even at the slow times.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    On a related note, can anyone give me some advice on checking to see if my internet connection is getting fucked over, somehow?

I've recently noticed a lot of issues with my netflix streaming, as well as Hulu or ABC.com. Is there some handy program I could run in the background to track my network traffic?

Just running a speedtest, I found:
    1.35 mbps down
    .26 mbps up
    110 ms latency

Septus on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    what's your connection rated at? Is it 1.5mbps?

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    VeitsevVeitsev Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If your choice is between TWC and AT&T choose AT&T. Its what I did when presented with those options recently. I am moving out to my first apartment and my mother's house of course has FIOS :(. My choices are Time Warner and AT&T only. I could try U-Verse but it includes a "one time fee" of $150 so screw that. Bandwidth caps are ridiculous but AT&T's are significantly better than Time Warner's. Theh have not put caps in my area yet and where they have tested them they put existing users on the high cap (150gb). I chose the "Elite DSL" package for $45 a month which will ensure that I will get the 150gb cap if/when they decide to put it in my area.

150gb is MUCH better than 40gb which is absolute robbery. Well they are both robbery but I think you won't have to worry about micromanaging a 150gb cap.

Veitsev on
    nibblersig-1.jpg
    Steam 3DS: 1160-9885-2554