As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DS RPGs for practicing Japanese

MeisterMeister Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
Anyone have any recommendations of good Japanese RPGs for practicing the language? Some RPGs, like Final Fantasy 4, have cutscenes with dialogue that doesn't stop (it doesn't wait for input before they next dialogue box pops up), so those are a no go. Voice acting in addition to the text would be a plus, but it seems that most games that have voice acting have the non-stop dialogue. Of course a good storyline makes the game more enjoyable and exciting.

Right now I'm playing Dragon Quest 5, which is pretty fun, although the lack of voice is sort of a downer.

3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
Meister on

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would think that older games are going to be better for this, such as the NES Dragon Quest series. I don't know how most japanese games go as far as kanji but I would expect NES games to lack the memory for anything except hirigana. Of course that depends on whether you're practicing the language or learning kanji.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If I'm not mistaken, the Mother games don't use kanji & are available for the GBA so those would be a good choice. Play-Asia has the Mother 1&2 combo pack for $35.

On the other hand, Mother tends to have a lot of humor in it so that would make things more difficult to understand.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kanji is actually not a problem for me, because I'm almost done with Heisig's Remembering the Kanji, so I can recognize most of the Kanji. In fact, one this that surprised me about DQ5 was how little/seemingly at random they use Kanji. I'm mostly playing for vocabulary and immersion (learning new phrases, ways of speaking, etc.). The thing that trips me up the most is stuff you can't find in the dictionary (like when the priest in DQ5 uses old-style honorific language to speak with god, that took me a while to figure out. also, I still don't really get the names of the spells. are they just completely fabricated onomatopoeia?).

Meister on
  • Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Phantom Hourglass sounds like it would fit the bill, since i think all kanji shows matching hiragana and katakana when you click on the text.

Musan on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    From the beginning Dragon Quest had those odd spell names.
    http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~radical/column/magi-dq.htm

There's no getting around that DS games don't have much voice acting. Tales of Hearts has a lot of voice acting if you like that series. Gyakuten Saiban is an excellent series that isn't too difficult to read and it's a pretty funny game.

Really, what you're looking for are the PS2 Tales Of... games, which the plot is almost completely voice acted. There's also a PS1 game called クロス探偵物語 that you should get.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't know its specifically what you want, but the Japanese version of Chrono Trigger DS has an english option. So if you ever run into a phrase you dont know you can switch it over get the dialogue and switch back.

That said, you can't switch at all times. The dialogues with important characters don't seem to let you change it back and forth at will, but wandering around and talking to peeps works fine. Or just replay your last save to see what they're saying.

Arkyris on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Wow, that DQ spell site is awesome. I would have never got some of these.
    「休み」→「イ木ミ」→「イホミ」→「ホイミ」
    I think Tales of Hearts was one of those where you couldn't stop the dialogue during cutscenes, but I'm not sure.

Meister on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pokemon diamond/pearl/platinum.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    look for slime forrest for the PC

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Learn it through fucking classes

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Seriously, do you really want to learn Japanese so badly? Also, read a book.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

He's looking to practice. Playing video games is a great way to practice a foreign language, it drills some unique vocabulary and you get dialogue that is paced.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Meister wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommendations of good Japanese RPGs for practicing the language?
    Meister wrote: »
    Kanji is actually not a problem for me, because I'm almost done with Heisig's Remembering the Kanji, so I can recognize most of the Kanji. In fact, one this that surprised me about DQ5 was how little/seemingly at random they use Kanji. I'm mostly playing for vocabulary and immersion (learning new phrases, ways of speaking, etc.).

As someone already said, video games can be an excellent way of getting some practice in when you're trying to learn a foreign language.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yah, as people have pointed out I'm playing Japanese games to practice; I already take intermediate level classes to learn the language, and I read Japanese novels in class and in my free time. I happen to also play video games in my free time (something I'm assuming most people on these forums do?) so I figure I might as well kill two birds with one stone. Also, I find some of the things that don't translate well interesting, such as the previously mentioned spell names and the various subtleties of levels of politeness in Japanese speech.

I had forgotten about Pokemon, good call. I think Slime Forest is mostly for complete beginners to the language, though.

Meister on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Musan wrote: »
    Phantom Hourglass sounds like it would fit the bill, since i think all kanji shows matching hiragana and katakana when you click on the text.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, that Slime Forest game looks pretty cool. I hadn't ever heard of a game like that being made to learn another language, are there any others? Not just for Japanese either, any other language such as Chinese, Spanish, French, etc.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Musan wrote: »

Does Phantom Hourglass have a lot of text? The main reason I've been playing RPGs is because they are mostly lots and lots of text.

Meister on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Last I checked, Zelda: Wind Waker JP has kanji, but has furigana to compensate. I know that's not DS.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mother 3 for the GBA is an excellent choice, the characters are so emotive you can almost understand what they're trying to say without using the text at all. Other than that I'd suggest Pokemon Platinum since the language is based at a reading age suitable for children.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Man, thanks to this thread I'm gonna hafta dig out my pokemon and play through it again.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I hear RapeLay is pretty good

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hahahaha

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think adventure games may be more up your alley than RPGs. These games are nothing but text! Once again, these are mostly PS games.

Machi (PS/PSP)
    Kamaitachi no Yoru: Special Edition (PS/GBA)
    Missing Parts (PS2)
    Policenaughts (PS) (Fully voiced)
    Snatcher (PS/PCE/Saturn)
    Hayarigami (PS2/PSP)
    Kinpachi Sensei: Densetsu no Koudan ni tate! (PS2) (Fully voiced)

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    スーパーロボット対戦 K just came out on the DS. I learned like maybe, 40% of my Kanji just playing that series from the PSX days, so I owe it a lot. If you're a fan of giant robots from old and new anime shows doing a crossover and duking it out in a turn-based tactical game, and the characters having weird interactions with each other, give it a shot.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As mentioned in the H/A thread on Learning Japanese, Pokemon apparently has very readable Japanese, and apparently the new Dragon Quest 9 has Furigana.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    What's Furigana?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    What's Furigana?
    Whenever you see a kanji character, they usually have little hiragana/katakana characters on top of it to explain what it is to younger readers. The characters on the top are called 'furigana'. They usually do that in comic books/games for younger people.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    What's Furigana?

The little Kana on top of Kanji in (usually) kids books.

Although I have seen it on ecchi stuff, too. I did a double take.

But then again, Negima is supposed to be a kids manga...

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ahhhh, okay. That makes sense now. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png