As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Laptop virgin, need advice on purchase

EdictEdict Registered User regular
I am looking to purchase a laptop, but I have no clue about the different processors available. I just want it for general use. The most taxing thing I would run on it would be World of Warcraft. If anybody has any suggestions or knows of a good website that could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Also I would like to stay under $500 if possible.

Edict on

• DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, what are you looking for? Do you want something really light and small, but with a tiny screen and keyboard, or do you want something with a big screen that'll be heavy and cumbersome to lug around?

Daedalus on
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Less than $500?

You're basically looking at getting a netbook for that amount if you want something decent. Otherwise, you will have to start compromising on quality.

These manufacturers will offer cheap laptops: Acer, Asus, Toshiba, Sony, Gateway, Dell, HP, Compaq, Lenovo, Alienware, Panasonic, Averatec, IBM. Not great, but might be enough.

Obs on
  • EdictEdict Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for the replies. I realize now that I wasn't very informative originally. I don't mind a full size laptop, but after reading the comments maybe what I really want to know is how do the processors in netbooks compare to desktops? Or are netbooks capable of running WoW? What I am looking to do is take it with me to school, so when I have long breaks in my day I could use it then. Size really isn't a factor as I would have a bag to carry it in, but if netbooks are powerful enough I would probably prefer one of those. Sorry for rambling.

Edict on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yes, they are powerful enough.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • matricsmatrics Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Here ya go:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/technology.html - WoW system requirements

If you must play wow, use that as guideline when selecting your netbook.

matrics on