As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ANNOYING (but otherwise benign) Windows XP Bug

ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
(disclaimer: i am (self-diagnosed, of course) borderline ocd when it comes to organization, especially when it comes to file indexing/labeling/organizing. i know this issue is trivial but the sheer randomness of it is driving me batshit.)

in the taskbar & start menu properties window where it gives you the option to hide inactive icons & customize said hiding, no matter how many times i set it to "always hide" EVERY GOD DAMN TIME i turn my computer on the local area connection icon in the system tray resets itself to "hide when inactive". i set it back, go about my business, shut my computer down for the night and when i turn it on the next day it happens again without fail.

this has been going on for a while now and yesterday the problem became even stranger. now when i go to the customize window it shows local area connection but it is labeled <no title>. when i set it to "always hide" and hit apply it then is magically labeled "local area connection".

is my install of xp just having a mental breakdown? am i having a mental breakdown?

armedroberty.jpg
ascannerlightly on

• Options
    FrostyAlphaWolfFrostyAlphaWolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    One thing you may want to check, if you haven't already, is go into your Network Connections from the Start menu, then right-click on whichever connection is giving you problems and go to the Properties. There should be a button at the bottom for something similar to "Show icon in notification area when connected" and make sure it's unchecked.

FrostyAlphaWolf on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    no, i want it there (in the sys tray) i just want it to stay on always hide (like when you click the < and the system tray expands to show everything). this is the only application (if that's even the right term to use for it) that does this, everything else stays the way i set it, be it always show or always hide.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've never heard of anything like this before. My only suggestion is to hibernate instead of shutdown, so that your settings get saved every day and you don't have to keep fixing it.

finalflight89 on