As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Black Prophecy] - Space Shenanigans! New video inside.

ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
http://blackprophecy-game.com/
Begin your journey into space and experience fast-paced real-time action as a fighter pilot in countless hazardous missions and epic battles. Jump into your cockpit and engage the enemy threat solo, or join powerful clans and fight alongside fellow comrades-in-arms.

Explore the dark and mysterious Black Prophecy universe and shape your own destiny!

Another space MMO hits the scene! Welcome, Black Prophecy. You look pretty god damn good.

Latest trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZfuuEB9uso&feature=player_embedded

Here is a very lengthy gameplay video of it. (Combat starts about 4min in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y6bFJxdVZk

HD version: http://bp.kkdownload.com/trailer/bp_gameplay_trailer_hd.zip

Looks like Jumpgate and EVE will have some competition!

The more the merrier, I say. Space is good times.

Oh, and fully working cockpit view? Fuck yes.

t5qfc9.jpg
Zzulu on

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looks amazing, when does it come out?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think it's unknown. They are accepting beta applications, however, I believe they're still in Alpha.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    what other information do we have on this. looks pretty nice

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's made by Reakktor media, a german game company (famous for the 2002 MMO "Neocron"). I first noticed it many months ago but didn't pay it much attention. The entire thing has been kept relatively low profile, until just recently when they released a bunch of videos for it.

I can also say that the engine is an evolution of the Neocron engine.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looks pretty awesome, I'm going to try and get into the beta.

Dman on
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I didnt liked EVE very much,but ill sure try this

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This looks totally awesome.

From the trailer and reading a bit on the site and everything it looks very much like a MMO freelancer.

Which is glorious.

I just hope it controls as such as it appears to. I'm not too into technical space simulators like X3 or anything, but an "arcadey" one is right up my alley.

I wonder if they have any Earth and Beyond people working on it. It seems similar in some ways.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This looks totally awesome.

From the trailer and reading a bit on the site and everything it looks very much like a MMO freelancer.

Which is glorious.

I just hope it controls as such as it appears to. I'm not too into technical space simulators like X3 or anything, but an "arcadey" one is right up my alley.

I wonder if they have any Earth and Beyond people working on it. It seems similar in some ways.

So does Jumpgate though.

Honestly as much as I loved ENB, (and I did), can we move past the 'genetically altered humans vs. normal humans' stuff?

I think we can come up with some far more interesting reasons to kill each other in the future than race wars.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think you overestimate humanities ability to evolve its way of thinking.

:P

But yeah, between this and Jumpgate, one of the two has to be good enough to get a big following.

I personally think this looks better than Jumpgate but again, they both look excellent and I can't wait to try them both out (signed up for boths beta too).

I'm sad that it has taken this long to get a good space MMO. I really don't care for EVE no matter how lovely it looks and how big the universe is.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    I think you overestimate humanities ability to evolve its way of thinking.

:P

But yeah, between this and Jumpgate, one of the two has to be good enough to get a big following.

I personally think this looks better than Jumpgate but again, they both look excellent and I can't wait to try them both out (signed up for boths beta too).

I'm sad that it has taken this long to get a good space MMO. I really don't care for EVE no matter how lovely it looks and how big the universe is.

I am always amazed at the depth of EVE, but the amount of work it requires can rival an actual job at times. It's weird but I respect it.

But yeah, I want something a bit different.

As for BP, in terms of graphics I will say it looks more impressive than Jumpgate, but I'm reserving final judgment until I've played them both. Jumpgate has been in development for a long time, so it's either going to be incredibly refined or a complete mess.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    matricsmatrics Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, the graphics look nice, but when they got to "Instanced mission sectors", they pretty much lost my attention. I haven't read any info on this, but most likely it's going to be a sharded universe as well.

TBH, this will not have anything in common with Eve, except the fact they both take place in space. From the looks of the trade interface and "fitting screen", it seems it's designed to be quite simple.

I'm not saying it won't have an audience, just that after playing Eve for a while, it'd take more than this to make me switch or even play another space MMO regularly. I like it complex and challenging, but I guess time will tell if this turns out to be a space MMO based on the same old recycled basic principles established by fantasy MMO's out there.

So, C/D : WoW in space anyone?

matrics on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, I can understand liking EVE, but for some of us the pace is odd.

I mean, to make money you do one of four things. Mine (boring), Ratt (boring), trade (extremely boring), or buy Isk with a timecard code.

Then the ship you spend all that money on gets blown up by asshole pirates because you blinked and didn't see someone enter local chat. If you're really lucky, you DID notice them and were able to run screaming to a safe spot until they left, so the assholes have still fucked with your playtime, and will continue to do so until they get bored or until someone blows them up.

I'd like a space MMO with a good mission system again. The missions in EVE were repetitive in the extreme and pretty dull.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For those of you who use IRC we've got an unofficial channel setup on EFNet (http://www.efnet.org/?module=servers) called #blackprophecy . Drop by, hang out and chat some BP!

I am really looking forward to this game.

Edit: Also the HD version of the trailer is out.

HD Gameplay Trailer: http://bp.kkdownload.com/trailer/bp_gameplay_trailer_hd.zip

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I saw the cockpit.

And then I saw 50 seconds of nothing but navigating menus.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh god, Reakktor Media ? Neocron ? I _loved_ that game, despite it's many, many flaws.

quaigy on
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The game looks interesting... the explosions look fantastic, but why the fuck does it look like there is wind in space?!

I can understand if you're traveling at warp speed or something and passing stars look like elongated lines, but traveling at normal speed? Really?

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    art style is generic and boring. but blowing stuff up might be fun. also half of the game looks like a spread sheet. so I guess it has some inspiration from eve

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm really excited about this game, because Neocron was really good. This is one of the few companies that makes MMOGs that are still fun for those who hate massive grinding.

I signed up for the beta and I except the game to be like 6 months away, it's cool though.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I mean, to make money you do one of four things. Mine (boring), Ratt (boring), trade (extremely boring), or buy Isk with a timecard code.

Then the ship you spend all that money on gets blown up by asshole pirates because you blinked and didn't see someone enter local chat. If you're really lucky, you DID notice them and were able to run screaming to a safe spot until they left, so the assholes have still fucked with your playtime, and will continue to do so until they get bored or until someone blows them up.

I'd like a space MMO with a good mission system again. The missions in EVE were repetitive in the extreme and pretty dull.

From your own experience there is a 5th way to make money : pirating ;)
    Usually it would entail asking for a bribe or else you destroy their ship.

EVE requires you to be entrepreneurial, doing missions all day is probably boring. But creating stuff is not. Or maybe become a mercenary for money, or join a corp etc

Although myself I didn't enjoy EVE too much, it simply was not an addictive game.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    MithMith Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looks neat. I can't imagine why anyone would use cockpit view in that first ship, though, I like being able to use more than 1/3 of the screen.

Mith on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Renegen wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »

From your own experience there is a 5th way to make money : pirating ;)
    Usually it would entail asking for a bribe or else you destroy their ship.

EVE requires you to be entrepreneurial, doing missions all day is probably boring. But creating stuff is not. Or maybe become a mercenary for money, or join a corp etc

Although myself I didn't enjoy EVE too much, it simply was not an addictive game.

I respect the insane depth and freedom it provides. However, I've yet to find a way to be successful (IE rich enough to keep buying ships) in the game that doesn't require doing boring things or being an asshole (pirates).

The PVP bothered me especially. Having to ALWAYS be in complete terror over who just jumped into the system was simply too frustrating. Perhaps because I am more of a solo player and pirates tend to travel in packs.

Anyway we'll see how Black Prophecy turns out.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looks great but I would want some info if there was any pvp or player owned buildings, along with how are ships varied.

Camui on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    arcath wrote: »
    For those of you who use IRC we've got an unofficial channel setup on EFNet (http://www.efnet.org/?module=servers) called #blackprophecy . Drop by, hang out and chat some BP!

I am really looking forward to this game.

Edit: Also the HD version of the trailer is out.

HD Gameplay Trailer: http://bp.kkdownload.com/trailer/bp_gameplay_trailer_hd.zip

Put this link in the OP.

If all you have ever seen is that streaming video, do yourself a favor and download the HD version ASAP and take a look at that.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Awesome. A Freelancer MMO. :)

Judging by the trailer, players can team up to control the larger ships?

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I can't tell if that's an indication of player controlled capital ships, or simply a scripted quest or something that has you take a turret in an NPC ship.

Player/guild owned large ships would be cool, but I could also see it being overly complex and lead to needless drama (who owns what, who is Capitan, etc etc). I guess I'd just assume stick to manned fighters/cruisers and leave the large armada ships to quests/story.

But then again, taking control of a massive destroyer with some buds could be glorious.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    all 3 faction's cockpits

maaaaaaaaaasive pics ahoy
    blackprophecygenidecock.jpg

blackprophecyhumanshutt.jpg

blackprophecytyicockpit.jpg

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I hope jumpgate does fancy cockpits.

also the superior one is the one that lets see down as well as up. I mean, it IS space after all

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Looks cool. Kind of wish they would either just do 3rd person or cockpit. 3rd person is an advantage to the cockpit at all times because of your field of view. I always enjoyed flying with the cockpit more but if there is pvp probably have to go third person.

Other than that pretty shiny looking game.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    if you have a 3D cockpit then you can get one of those cool headpieces that works with some games to move your sight around independent of your mouse aim

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I tried to sign up for beta, but it didn't accept my dxdiag file, even though it was a legit .xml file. Also, a company asking for my home address plus phone number for a beta makes me rise my eyebrow. Why do they need that information?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    to sue you if you leak any information. you info leaker you

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, it looks like I don't have to continue placing all my hope in Jumpgate. Either of these things could turn out to be exactly what I want. =)

Imperfect on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This one has taken the lead over Jumpgate in my book (due largely in part to the cockpits). I hope they both turn out well, but this one seems closer to what I'm looking for.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm not so sure. I've heard rumours about heavy instancing in Black Prophecy. This would easily put Jumpgate ahead in my book.

However we don't know for sure yet

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't think I could run either of these new space MMOs :(

Bigity on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    News:

The game will be released as a free MMO.
    Black Prophecy: gamigo to publish the space action MMOG globally!

Hamburg, March 4, 2010 – gamigo AG and Reakktor Media GmbH have officially announced that they will be working together on the highly-anticipated space action MMOG Black Prophecy. gamigo owns the global distribution and publishing rights for the game. The Hamburg-based publisher thus lays the foundation for a new focus on becoming a global publisher and producer of free-to-play Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

Patrick Streppel, gamigo's CMO, is enthusiastic about the new game: „Reakktor’s Black Prophecy will breathe life back into a genre previously forgotten. The game features graphics of the highest quality, a rich and meaningful story, and strong community features. Since we've begun collaborating with Reakktor, we have expanded greatly upon the concept of the game and thus are able to offer one of the first top-of-the-line free-to-play MMOGs."
    A lot has happened in the development of Black Prophecy in the past few weeks. The biggest change has been the new direction as a free-to-play online game, previously unheard of for a game of this quality. Among other things, a crafting system was added and the layout of the game world was opened up. In-game dialogue will be recorded by professional voice actors. The one-and-a-half hour long orchestral soundtrack provides a rich and varied score of background music.

Kirk Lenke, CEO of Reakktor Media GmbH, said "We are excited to have found such a strong partner in gamigo for the publishing and distribution of our space action MMOG Black Prophecy. gamigo has the necessary skills and abilities to turn our product into a global MMOG blockbuster."

Black Prophecy is expected go into closed beta testing in April 2010.

Got the news from the free MMO thread.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Anything in a cockpit that is obstructing your vision out and yet is not also presenting you with useful information is wasted space. That first one is stylish, yes, but counter-productive.

Obvious statement is obvious, yes, but it shows when the cockpit is designed by artists without much input from the UI team.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Anything in a cockpit that is obstructing your vision out and yet is not also presenting you with useful information is wasted space. That first one is stylish, yes, but counter-productive.

Obvious statement is obvious, yes, but it shows when the cockpit is designed by artists without much input from the UI team.
    I don't mind those kind of things as long as everyone is suffering equally. It'd be frustrating to get a better ship, but all of a sudden half your view is gone.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    And the interesting thing is here in the real world they are working on cockpit visibility systems that allow you to see what is around your plane without things like the fuselage getting in the way. Why people have this fixation on blocking their vision while flying is beyond me.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    And the interesting thing is here in the real world they are working on cockpit visibility systems that allow you to see what is around your plane without things like the fuselage getting in the way. Why people have this fixation on blocking their vision while flying is beyond me.
    It's a fantasy universe wherein you pew pew aliens with laserbeams, you'll have to suspend your disbelieve here. :P

Anyway, I hope they're not going to fuck this game up with a mean cash shop and instead go for something decent and fair.

Aldo on