As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Girl and Alien attack

LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys and gals.
This is my new project im working on. Im working a few pictures at a time to try help me work out a story and add some detail.

I would like most of the feedback directed onto the first. They are still work in progress and I really need ideas and feedback before I start to render. I always seem to start rendering to soon so I want them to be right :S

some advice on some details would be good to. sugestions etc. I'm going away for the next week and wont have contact with my computer :'( but I will use the time to think about how I want this. I have tried rendering the buildings a little bit and it really sucked so I got rid of the detail and have started again. I think I will use a laso tool and grid lines to get sharper lines.

attack_on_earth_by_Leggraphics.jpg

closeup.jpg

Leggraphics on

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm not sure if sharper lines on the buildings are really necessary. You don't want them to stick out too much; they are background, after all.

One thing I will say is that on the second picture, your brushstrokes make it look like the leg or whatever that is in the foreground is sprouting out from the ground, rather than down into it.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't care much for the paintings so far, as I normally don't dig digital painting, but it's really good that you're looking for crits this early in the process. I'm bad about not showing off my stuff until Ive worked on it so long I don't want to anymore. -Which is why I'm posting progress so often with my last project, hoping the folks here'll catch any fuckups well in advance.

Is this project a story? like a comic, or illustrated storybook? I'd like to hear more about that.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    you don't dig digital painting?
    really?

you actually pick mediums you don't like?
    that's like saying "i would say this is a good painting, but i won't because it's done with acrylic and i just straight up don't like acrylic"

beavotron on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't like seafood-based pasta dishes.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Is this project a story? like a comic, or illustrated storybook? I'd like to hear more about that.
    Umm no.. its basically a character I sketched up last week and have drawn a few rough views of. Each time adjusting the creature seeing what I like and what I dont.

Im going for a kind of look that the creatures are having a look around but not really destroying anything.

Bloody- I kind of came across that conclusion after i started rendering them. I was like that doesnt look right. I think you are right. Also yeah it does kind of look like its coming out of the ground on the second. Not a bad idea.... lol... I might draw it like that and see where it goes from there.

Just a note im really struggling I guess drawing this. Normally I would sketch up something like this in a few minutes but I have been having trouble drawing in perspective as well as drawing artificial things like buildings and these robots. I dont draw very 'sharp' and 'straight' and it shows more so in artificial objects. Thats why I am doing this project to try to improve on it.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think you need to go back a few steps and really work on the drawing. It's extremely important to have a solid drawing before you start to go in with any sort of rendering or painting like you've done here. Doing a lot of thumbnail sketches in pencil will really go a long way in pointing out a lot of the flaws with this thing, because as it is i don't think that you're going to get anywhere towards making a successful image no matter what you do from here, just start over from the beginning.

Your main problem is composition, every element is competing and is not allowing the viewer's eye to flow through the picture. They are all roughly the same size and importance and the same values. This serves to flatten the space and really cheapen the image. The perspective and scaling is also a whole lot of messed up but i think by going back to thumbnails will help a lot with those sort of problems.

It's hard to crit pieces like this because you can't really point out one or two things that need to be tweaked, it's basically down to, "work on everything."

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanks DeeLock- I understand critiquing on everything is hard. One thing at a time is fine and so far its perspective and generally to much going on. Ill work on fixing that up, post it and then more progress can be made and another critique can be made :D

Thanks so far guys

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    you don't dig digital painting?
    really?

you actually pick mediums you don't like?
    that's like saying "i would say this is a good painting, but i won't because it's done with acrylic and i just straight up don't like acrylic"

I'll take this to the discussions thread, seems a more appropriate place for it.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I did my shopping earlier today before I leave for the country tomorrow and I was walking through the shops not completely with it and had a thought of a composition. So.. here is the last 3 hours of work I just did before I go to the country for a week. I really like it so far. I know it looks a little photoshop filtery at the moment but I think I will work on the background a little more to get rid of that. I will also sharpen it up just a little. Please note the contrast didnt come out as well with the jpeg compression.

my contain traces of ass
    walking_through_the_woods_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    your anatomy and rendering is improving loads. Nice work

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That's some ass.

Kind of glad I'm working from home today.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    That's some ass.

Kind of glad I'm working from home today.

Sorry mate. I have put it into a spoiler.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    haha, no man, I was going for the raunchier joke there. :p

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    ohhhh sick puppy lol... I guess you agree with Kombat Winter then in my rendering is getting better lols:P
    funny part is my girlfriend posed for it

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I don't know, there's something off about it. We'll have to see a ref.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't know, there's something off about it. We'll have to see a ref.

ahaha dunno about that :p maybe thats how pictures of people like millie cyrus get out and stuff ... lol.. your local art forums :P

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    hey guys. back for the weekend and am doing a bit more refining. fixing up some rendering and tone
    walking_girl_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Some of the elements just aren't reading as I would think they would. The first things that stuck me was the hair, it's really stiff and not flowing how I would think her hair would sit. Also the leaves don't look like plants, but instead come of more baconish, which on second thought would be like the next best thing to a money tree.

I'm no good at realistic human proportion, so I'll leave that to someone else.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looks to me like her left buttock is smaller than her right, and her ass is too long.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Not all girls are blessed with symmetrical buttocks

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    hahha ill remove the bacon. Thanks earthworm. lol.... there is still some background detail to add. Zomble Im not sure about the buttock. Its my missis ass so i dont think the ass is overly to long but ill check it out lol :P Thanks
    gah its bedtime i think.... 5.30 am :s

Leggraphics on