As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Look at this picture and identify the bug

matisyahumatisyahu Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok so I already know I have cockroaches, but today I saw this ugly thing running around. What is it? Is it going to kill me?
2yz0y0x.jpg

i dont even like matisyahu and i dont know why i picked this username
matisyahu on

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Where are you located, and where/how did you find the bug?

Inquisitor77 on
  • matisyahumatisyahu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm in Chicago, IL, and I spotted the bug crawling across the floor of my small studio apartment by the oven/sink/trash can area. I didn't see where it came from or where it was going. It has wings but it didn't fly. It was really, really difficult to kill, I basically had to punch it.

My apartment is more or less infested with cockroaches. The landlord claims to have exterminated about 2 weeks ago but I'm seeing more bugs than ever. I'm actually cool with the roaches now, but this new bug scares me because it was so hard to kill, and since its wings were small I imagine this was a juvenile of some sort. The thought of a mature form of this ghastly thing sends shivers down my spine.

edit: A few more details on its appearance-- when it was standing still, I thought it might be a cricket from the shape of its legs. It walked around like any old bug though, cockroach, spider, what have you. Maybe a little bigger than my thumbnail.

matisyahu on
  • ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Some kind of wasp. It looks pretty small, but in its mature form. Nothing to worry about.

Zsetrek on
  • SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looks kind of like a mud dauber, a kind of wasp. No yellow markings though, so I'm not sure. I say wasp family because of the big ass legs, and segmented antennae. Maybe an emergent, those wings seem pretty small.

Sarcastro on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you have cockroaches, you need to get them taken care of. They are a serious health concern, and can act as a vector for diseases. If your landlord claims extermination but you're still seeing them, then he needs to get the building sprayed again, and possibly bombed out entirely. Also, exterminators usually guarantee against re-infestation after 30 days or something like that, so if he really did get a service then he should have no problem since it shouldn't cost him a penny.

Every one cockroach you can see means there are dozens, if not hundreds more, that are staying hidden. Take it from me - screw the wasp bug and deal with the real problem.

Inquisitor77 on
    edited April 2009
    Wasp you say... yegh. Does it matter that its body was only the one piece, and not two distinct pieces like I usually see on wasps?

My lease is up next month and I cannot wait to get out of this Insectopia.

Edit: Inquisitor, this is the 2nd time they've exterminated in the past 2 or 3 months. What kind of diseases can they give me? I don't prepare any food at home, and I was told that they don't bite. I mostly see the baby ones, maybe 4 a day, and I kill maybe 0.75 adults per day on average.

I notice that they scurry when I approach them with murderous rage. Maybe it's the sound that is scaring them off? If I play loud music at all times, will that attract them, repel them, or will they be indifferent?

Now that I think of it, I have been having some health issues lately... bacterial bronchitis about a month ago... sinus infection right now... there's also the eczema... wow, I'm really living in squalor here, huh...

matisyahu on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jesus christ. Escape your tortuous dungeon forthwith. Then maybe start making at least some food at home?

JAEF on
  • LorekLorek Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah if these bugs keep coming back, surely that's enough to be able to break lease early without any problems?

Lorek on
    edited April 2009
    Leave. ASAP. Also, I recommend letting the local government know what's up. Based on your description, these sound like slum-lord conditions. And yes, your health issues could almost certainly be caused or exacerbated by the cockroach infestation.

Inquisitor77 on
  • oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    matisyahu wrote: »
    Wasp you say... yegh. Does it matter that its body was only the one piece, and not two distinct pieces like I usually see on wasps?

My lease is up next month and I cannot wait to get out of this Insectopia.

Edit: Inquisitor, this is the 2nd time they've exterminated in the past 2 or 3 months. What kind of diseases can they give me? I don't prepare any food at home, and I was told that they don't bite. I mostly see the baby ones, maybe 4 a day, and I kill maybe 0.75 adults per day on average.

I notice that they scurry when I approach them with murderous rage. Maybe it's the sound that is scaring them off? If I play loud music at all times, will that attract them, repel them, or will they be indifferent?

Now that I think of it, I have been having some health issues lately... bacterial bronchitis about a month ago... sinus infection right now... there's also the eczema... wow, I'm really living in squalor here, huh...

What do you mean baby ones? Small cockroaches are usually what is known as german cockroaches. They're smaller but usually larger in number. You say you see bigger ones too? Maybe you have two types of cockroach infestations... gross.

Move out asap. Until then use Boric Acid. It's the one thing that is effective against roaches. Also, I've heard that if you squish a roach that happens to be carrying eggs, you're just spreading the eggs around. Something you might want to consider.

oldsak on
  • Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Wasps will typically have the distinct body parts, but it might be hard to see on some. From the picture you provided you can't see the mouth parts.

Does it have chewing mouthparts like a wasp?
    s_wasp2.jpg

Or does it have sucking mouthparts (making it not a wasp)? That would make it a true bug, which do have the solid body
    wpe3C.jpg

And to add, that is a full grown specimen. If it was malnurished while growing up you might see some bigger ones around, but they won't get 'omg huge', don't worry.

Rotting Meat on
  • ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    they scurry because (to them) a huge creature is moving quickly towards them. if someone 60 times my height and 4,000 times my weight came after me i'd run like my life depended on it. i have had limited success in the past with playing loud bass-intensive music with the speakers on the floor, although i'm sure your neighbors won't take too kindly to this. but since you're moving out in a month anyway, you might not care too much.
    oldsak wrote:
    Also, I've heard that if you squish a roach that happens to be carrying eggs, you're just spreading the eggs around. Something you might want to consider.
    it's always best, if you can, to catch the roach in a piece of tissue paper (or with your bare hands if you're up to it) and dispose of it down the toilet or food disposal. not only does it not spread eggs around from a pregnant female, it doesn't leave tasty morsels of roach guts smeared on the floor/walls/ceiling/counter top for the other roaches to feast upon later.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
    edited April 2009
    I'm staying at a friends, or i would go back and get a better look at its mouth parts. I'm really curious about it though, never seen anything like it. I've had the roaches on and off since I started subletting the place in November, but they've been getting really bad lately and I just made the connection between them and my peculiarly frequent respiratory infections/skin issues at around 2:54AM today.

matisyahu on
    edited April 2009
    I'm staying at a friends, or i would go back and get a better look at its mouth parts. I'm really curious about it though, never seen anything like it. I've had the roaches on and off since I started subletting the place in November, but they've been getting really bad lately and I just made the connection between them and my peculiarly frequent respiratory infections/skin issues at around 2:54AM today.

Cockroaches are bad. There is actually a recent study that has shown that cockroaches may very well be the predominant cause of urban asthma. As in, children who grow up in conditions where cockroaches are prevalent develop an allergic reaction to the dead, molted skin the little buggers leave lying around (the cockroaches, not the children). Which then triggers the development of asthma. Even if this study isn't conclusive, there is already a staggeringly high correlation between cockroach allergies and asthma. I'd recommend getting your stuff out, cleaning it off, and living elsewhere ASAP. Then report the place to the local government authorities, and notify your [strike]slum[/strike]landlord that he needs to bomb the place out before an inspector comes by to check out the building. And no, you aren't being an ass. This is a serious health concern, and he should not be renting out units in places that are not up to code.

Inquisitor77 on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Definitely not a mud dauber, if a mud dauber is what we call a "dirt dauber". Dirt daubers are actually really cool - they're hive animals like wasps but they're really nonaggresive, basically big smart flying ants.

Sceliphron-mud-dauber.jpg

Ours are blue though, for whatever reason.

Anyway, that bug looks like some sort of crazy mosquito/mayfly hybrid. The fact that it walks instead of flies seems pretty weird, too. I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and say move out ASAP, your roach problem very definitely could be making you sick. Roaches are one of the worst disease carriers around, that's why the health department usually shuts down a restuarant if they find evidence of roaches in one.

Duffel on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You could try checking out this website:
    http://www.whatsthatbug.com/

It's got a pretty massive database on bugs, and has given me a few answers for my bug-inquiries.

If you're still completely stumped, you may even be able to email them (I did this a few years ago), and they may be able to tell you what it is. I'd suggest taking multiple shots of this bug (looks like you've got a nice camera to do so!) if you decide to go this route - it may help them with the ID'ing.

NightDragon on
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would be 90% certain that's some variety of parasitic wasp. Possibly a male, which would by why it's missing it's signature long ovipositor. They're solo insects, nothing at all like the hornets and yellow-jackets we think of when we hear 'wasp'. Hugely beneficial, actually. And it probably just accidentally flew into your house when you came in, or opened a window. Totally unrelated to the cockroach issue (which is still ughh eww).

Also, not a threat to you. At all.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • stawkstawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    dude... fuck chicago... you should come out to the burbs. worst we have is lady bugs that bite.

also i vote this thing as the jackalope of the bug world. it looks like some horrifying mosquito/fly/wasp hybrid. I'm terrified.

stawk on

stawk.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Few things that will help with ID'ing if you want to persue it:

a) does it have two pairs of wings, or one pair and one set of little knobs (halteres)
    crane.jpg
    (true flies have halteres, no other insects do. From your picture I'm pretty sure there are two full sets of wings)

b) mouthparts. Chewing or needle-like.

c) Body parts: what is the connection between the abdomomen and thorax like? Is it 'waspish' and narrow or is it a solid connection? (still waspish if both the abdomen and thorax are really fat but are only connected by a small portion, like a bee)

Pictures from straight on top, straight below, and profile are best.

My best guess from the picture is that it's a member of Braconidae.
    imm_0009.jpg

Rotting Meat on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    stawk wrote: »
    also i vote this thing as the jackalope of the bug world. it looks like some horrifying mosquito/fly/wasp hybrid. I'm terrified.
    Dude, I'd hate for you to see a real scary bug.
    I'm warning you.
    toebiter_peru.jpg

Duffel on
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »

I feel compelled to share this one; bugs can be a huge pain.

DO NOT click this if you are squeemish at all.

And general interest which you're probably aware of, jackalopes are sort of real.

Again, not for the squeemish.
    jackalope.jpg

Rotting Meat on
  • stawkstawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »

I feel compelled to share this one; bugs can be a huge pain.

DO NOT click this if you are squeemish at all.

And general interest which you're probably aware of, jackalopes are sort of real.

Again, not for the squeemish.
    jackalope.jpg

ok duffels bug was just sort of cute

rottings is fucking horrifying

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • DarwinsFavoriteTortoiseDarwinsFavoriteTortoise Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok I have something that trumps any bug you will ever see.

I believe its called the Camel Spider, though it is in fact a scorpion. These things actually make me shudder when I look at a picture of one of them.

This is one type:
    camel-spider-fly-tying.jpg

And here's what I believe is called the GIANT Camel Spider :/ (there are two in the picture) :
    spider.jpg

DarwinsFavoriteTortoise on
  • XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I believe its called the Camel Spider, though it is in fact a scorpion. These things actually make me shudder when I look at a picture of one of them.

Camel spiders are not scorpions. They're a member of a separate order of arachnids, Solifugae. They look terrifying, but unlike botflies, they're not actually dangerous.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • revcomrevcom Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

This is one type:

And here's what I believe is called the GIANT Camel Spider :/ (there are two in the picture) :
    spider.jpg

I believe your second picture there has proven to be a hoax

revcom on
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    revcom wrote: »

This is one type:

spider.jpg

I believe your second picture there has proven to be a hoax
    It's not a hoax, it's just a trick of perspective. They aren't as large as that picture makes them out to be, although they can be pretty large as far as land-dwelling arthropods go. And they aren't scorpions or spiders, they're arachnids of the order solifugae.

CycloneRanger on
  • DarwinsFavoriteTortoiseDarwinsFavoriteTortoise Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Xaev wrote: »

Camel spiders are not scorpions. They're a member of a separate order of arachnids, Solifugae. They look terrifying, but unlike botflies, they're not actually dangerous.

Yes you are right, I could have sworn they were technically a scorpion. Oh well.

And though I agree about them not being THAT dangerous, a few of my friends who have come home from Iraq have nasty scars from this nasty bugger's bites. Plus, as you said, they look scary as hell.

And if we are going off of looks alone, this guy is pretty freaky as well:
    Amblypigid.jpg

DarwinsFavoriteTortoise on
  • XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, by dangerous, I meant serious damage along the lines of death or permanent disability, like the more venomous varieties of spiders and scorpions. Yeah, I wouldn't want to get bitten by one, but I'd rather a camel spider got me than a fat-tailed scorpion.

I don't know why, but spiders/scorpions that I see tend not to bother me. Bees and wasps, on the other hand, I don't like having anywhere near me. I think it's the flying combined with the stingers that really gets to me.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Xaev wrote: »

Yes you are right, I could have sworn they were technically a scorpion. Oh well.

And though I agree about them not being THAT dangerous, a few of my friends who have come home from Iraq have nasty scars from this nasty bugger's bites. Plus, as you said, they look scary as hell.

And if we are going off of looks alone, this guy is pretty freaky as well:
    Amblypigid.jpg

That thing looks poised to leap at my face and crawl down my mouth, which is gaping open in horror.

mellestad on