As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Use UK Computer in USA

CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi All,

I'm planning to move from the UK to the USA soon. I want to take my computer with me. It's a big, heavy desktop computer which was a great gaming machine when I bought it 4 years ago. It's not so awesome now, but it still plays all the current games just fine. Although I am good with the software side of computers, I know very little about the hardware.

What I want to know is:

1) Will I need to replace the case with a new US case with a US-compatible power supply? Or can I use some sort of adaptor?

2) Is the computer so out of date that it would cost more to ship than it is worth? It really is very big and heavy. I could sell it here in the UK, and buy a new one over there. If so, how much might it be worth secondhand?

Here are the basic stats:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4400 (Dual Core)
GFX: ATI Radeon X1900
Hard Disk: 2x250GB
Memory: 2GB
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Fatal1ty

thanks!

CelestialBadger on

• Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Does your current power supply run on 110v or 220v?

I know the answer in Europe, I'm just not sure how GB is wired.

If the latter, you will need to either replace your power supply with one that runs on 110v or find some way to double the voltage (as far as I know, the voltage adapters work the opposite way (changing 220v to 110v).

Other than that, it's a matter of preference. If you think you can transfer your HDDs undamaged to the US, it might be worthwhile to get a new rig and just put your old drives into it (or transfer them onto the new drives).

The rig you describe sounds just fine, though, apart from the power issue and as long as you can ship it safely.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sounds like GB uses 220V. Most power supplies have a little external switch that allows you to swap between 220 and 110. If that's the case, I'm guessing you just need to switch to the expected voltage and use the proper cord.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    End wrote: »
    Sounds like GB uses 220V. Most power supplies have a little external switch that allows you to swap between 220 and 110. If that's the case, I'm guessing you just need to switch to the expected voltage and use the proper cord.

These days most PSUs don't have those switches. Cheap ones do, but decent ones have PFC and as a result automatically adjust for the input voltage (they usually accept 100V to 240V).

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    End wrote: »

These days most PSUs don't have those switches. Cheap ones do, but decent ones have PFC and as a result automatically adjust for the input voltage (they usually accept 100V to 240V).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=17-139-006-03.jpg&Image=17-139-006-12.jpg%2c17-139-006-05.jpg%2c17-139-006-11.jpg%2c17-139-006-06.jpg%2c17-139-006-03.jpg%2c17-139-006-07.jpg%2c17-139-006-08.jpg%2c17-139-006-09.jpg%2c17-139-006-10.jpg%2c17-139-006-04.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&WaterMark=1&Item=N82E16817139006&Depa=1&Description=CORSAIR%20CMPSU-750TX%20750W%20Power%20Supply

If you look at this label on the side of your psu you can see what voltages you can use where it says "AC input"

You will need a plug that works in grounded US outlets obviously. Do UK power supplies have the same plug on the actual unit as US ones? if so you could just get a cord: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201007

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Your power supply should have a little red slider switch near the power cord socket for 220 or 110vac, or it is most likely auto-switching. All you really need is a North American style power cord, which should be easy to find. But you should consult the manual for the PSU if available, or see if you can see the rating sticker on the PSU itself. It's usually on the side of the PSU so it's visible by removing the side panel of the PC.

I couldn't tell you if your monitor will be compatable with our power systems.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That computer is very near the "So outdated it isn't worth the shipping cost" threshold. I would recommend scavenging a few parts from it, but dumping the mobo/processor, gfx card and case and buying new ones in the states. That will save you the hassle of figuring out what to do with the power and will probably be a wiser use of your money when you take shipping into account.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    That computer is very near the "So outdated it isn't worth the shipping cost" threshold. I would recommend scavenging a few parts from it, but dumping the mobo/processor, gfx card and case and buying new ones in the states. That will save you the hassle of figuring out what to do with the power and will probably be a wiser use of your money when you take shipping into account.

Hmm, I didn't even see the OP's second question.

Considering how old it is, it might not be worth it to ship. Go to the UPS or FedEx website and put in dimensions and weight (estimate) to see how much it might be, but I would think it will cost over $100 just to ship it here.

Then the question becomes: do you have the funds to buy a new computer? You can save your hard drives, and the memory (if it's DDR2) and your sound card and buy new parts. Or you could sell it at home (probably a better idea) and take that and the $$ you saved not shipping it and build a new computer.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Since the PSU question has been answered.. I'd have to agree with the above that due to shipping costs I'd think the selling it and buying/building a new one route might be better if you have the money.

BladeX on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    BladeX wrote: »
    Since the PSU question has been answered.. I'd have to agree with the above that due to shipping costs I'd think the selling it and buying/building a new one route might be better if you have the money.

Since the case is so large and heavy, it really might not even cost that much extra. Definitely get a quote on the shipping cost to aid in making the decision.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you were to sell it and get a new computer here, I'd recommend keeping the hard drives and sound card. Those two components aren't dated at all in terms of performance, but the rest of the computer is nothing to be hugely proud of. You could easily get a computer that beats that one with a stick for around $400 USD.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    proXimity wrote: »
    If you were to sell it and get a new computer here, I'd recommend keeping the hard drives and sound card. Those two components aren't dated at all in terms of performance, but the rest of the computer is nothing to be hugely proud of. You could easily get a computer that beats that one with a stick for around $400 USD.

Or keep one hard drive, the sound card, and then either sell the whole thing as a functioning system or pull the video card and try to pawn that off on somebody separately if the mobo has integrated video. Probably the former.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    get rid of it in the UK, and then buy a new PC or laptop once you arrive stateside... electronics are much cheaper in the US

illig on
  • Options
    LiquidSquidLiquidSquid Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I know that the question's been pretty much answered already, but I bought a laptop in the UK a year ago and then moved to North America with it, so I thought I'd chime in.

If you look at the power supply, it should say, for instance, 110-220V. That's good, because the US is at 120V, while the UK is at 220V. Because both of those numbers are covered in the range, all you'll need is a cheap little adaptor to make the prongs into the right shape to fit into the wall, from the slanted "/ \" UK version into the "| |" US version.

If the range of voltages on the power supply doesn't cover 120V, then you're in a little more trouble as you'll either have to get a new power supply or a bulky voltage converter to make it work over here.

LiquidSquid on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    It might use metric bytes. Then you would have a problem.

Doc on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanks guys. This is exactly the kind of information that I was looking for. FedEx and UPS seem to estimate it will cost over a hundred pounds to ship! I might well buy a new computer over there if the only good component is the sound card. I can just about spare the money.

CelestialBadger on