As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Home Theatre Wiring Question

Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
Preamble: I'm getting a new LCD TV which I'm gonna wall mount. Cause it's a wall mount and I'm anal retentive, I'm going to be putting all the wires through the wall. However, at some point I'd get a blueray player and I dont really wanna have to fuck around behind the wall again, so I'm hoping to bring up some extra connections when I initially install.

The question is: Is there a product that exists that I could mount to my wall for connections? Like I'd put the wires through the wall, and they'd goto this "box" which is mounted in/on the wall from which I can use shorter wires to just connect to the tv. I know I'm not explaining this well (as evidenced by my failed google searches) so this might help

Components (DVD, PVR, ETC)
> Wires (thru wall) ----> My Wall mounting thing ----> Wires (outside) -> TV

Anybody have any idea if such a thing exists?

calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
Kris_xK on

• Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You can buy wall plates for a variety of home theater plugs.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10425

Those'll probably be the most affordable you'll find but there are lots of companies that make them. The trick then is to have enough foresight to install the correct type/number of plates to support your future components.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanks a lot, thats exactly what I was looking for.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    You could also wire a single HDMI cable through the wall and connect it to an A/V receiver equipped with HDMI upconversion, meaning you never had to worry about it.

That assumes you use a receiver and not just the TV speakers.

I dunno how many outputs your TV has, but installing a separate wall jack for 3 or 4 output types seems... excessive. You could also run a single output to a video switcher and use that to handle the inputs, but again, you'd have to either get one that upconverts or run a number of cables to it (one per type you want supported). I suspect you aren't going to find a solution that is both cheap and convenient.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    You could also wire a single HDMI cable through the wall and connect it to an A/V receiver equipped with HDMI upconversion, meaning you never had to worry about it.

That assumes you use a receiver and not just the TV speakers.

I dunno how many outputs your TV has, but installing a separate wall jack for 3 or 4 output types seems... excessive. You could also run a single output to a video switcher and use that to handle the inputs, but again, you'd have to either get one that upconverts or run a number of cables to it (one per type you want supported). I suspect you aren't going to find a solution that is both cheap and convenient.

This sounds like the best. Expensive, if you don't already have such a receiver, but really if you're that obsessive about it no solution is going to be cheap. You're looking at two sets of faceplates either way, with at least component+hdmi+maybe audio (assuming you do switching at the source end).

For a cheaper solution, you may want to look at just running some kind of conduit (or similar) from wherever your sources are up the wall to your TV. Make sure the color matches or at least fits in with your wall/carpet/floor/whatever.

Really, though, the upconverting receiver sounds like the best solution...though I'd go ahead and run dual HDMI faceplates, because why the hell not. You may not use the other one, but who knows...you may.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, I think that receivers capable of upconverting all inputs to HDMI so you can have a single output cable start at around $400 or so. I mean, it's worth it for that feature alone if you have the cash, but if you don't, it's a bit pricey just to eliminate some cables.

Upconversion to component is standard on pretty much everything, though, so if you don't give a shit about HDMI, that might be a viable solution. You can probably grab one of those bad boys for under $200.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You can also put some pvc pipe in there to let you run and re-run wire easily in the future.
    If you are going to run power cables through the wall, they have to be run through conduit.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I'm gonna put some PVC pipe in there if for no other reason than to guide the first sets of cables I put down.

I had no idea you could use a single HDMI cable from a receiver tho, I'll have to look into that. I don't have on now (I've just got some shitty surround thing that only deals with audio) but I'll keep that in mind.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    FYI for cables. If you're looking to run 1080p video through there make sure you have category 2 or "24AWG" HDMI cables. Monoprice sometimes labels them as in wall installation cables. Oversimplified Cat1 or 22 AWG cables are not able to carry at full 1080p signal especially over longer cable runs.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    FYI for cables. If you're looking to run 1080p video through there make sure you have category 2 or "24AWG" HDMI cables. Monoprice sometimes labels them as in wall installation cables. Oversimplified Cat1 or 22 AWG cables are not able to carry at full 1080p signal especially over longer cable runs.

For long cables this might be true but I have multiple 6' 28AWG HDMI cables from monoprice that run 1080p signals just fine.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    midgetspy wrote: »

For long cables this might be true but I have multiple 6' 28AWG HDMI cables from monoprice that run 1080p signals just fine.

Either you made a typo with 28 AWG or we have a miscommunication.

Because I recommended 24AWG which is better than 22AWG but not as good as 26AWG or your 28AWG. In fact 28AWG cables are top of the line right now. Maybe I should have posted at least 24AWG grade HDMI cables.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    midgetspy wrote: »

Either you made a typo with 28 AWG or we have a miscommunication.

Because I recommended 24AWG which is better than 22AWG but not as good as 26AWG or your 28AWG. In fact 28AWG cables are top of the line right now. Maybe I should have posted at least 24AWG grade HDMI cables.

Huh? 28AWG is much smaller than 24AWG. 22AWG is the thickest cable (and best for long distance runs) - the smaller the AWG the larger the cable diameter.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Before you run the wire through the wall, I'd suggest attaching a string to the wire by taping it on at either end (with a bit of extra slack). This way, if you ever need to run additional wires in the future, all you have to do is detach one end of the string, tie it to the new wire, the detach the other end and pull it up. Can save a little bit of time, or about a weekend's worth depending on the installation.

Mr Heist on
    mrheist-wide.png
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you're putting in the pvc and runnin a cable. You should also run at least a few pieces of string down and just tape the ends at the pipe. That way if you add something you can just tie it on a string and pull it through.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mr Heist wrote: »
    Before you run the wire through the wall, I'd suggest attaching a string to the wire by taping it on at either end (with a bit of extra slack). This way, if you ever need to run additional wires in the future, all you have to do is detach one end of the string, tie it to the new wire, the detach the other end and pull it up. Can save a little bit of time, or about a weekend's worth depending on the installation.

beated!

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Mr Heist wrote: »

Keep in mind that this becomes a single-use solution unless you also tie a second string to the first one before you pull it through, so that at the end you have the second string where the first one used to be.

But yeah, a string with a weight at the end is a great way to blaze a cable trail.

Oh, and if you're running wire vertically, make sure you check (before you start making holes) that you have an uninterrupted vertical run. If there's a 2x4 (or a fire break) running horizontally across your desired path, you won't be running any wires. Invest in a decent stud-finder.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I ran wires vertivally and discovered a horizontal stud, pissed me off to no end and made a fice minute job a five hour job.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!