As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Networking! Wireless Bridge?

ArrathArrath Registered User regular
A friend of mine has asked me to lend a hand setting up a network. He has 2 desktops, an Xbox 360, and an oXbox that are already wired together for gaming and media sharing via an old-as-dirt 4-port hub. This is in one building on the property, which is not wired with cable. The other building on the property has cable, and a WLAN with two desktops, a laptop or two, and a printer.

The distance between the buildings is too far to string a wire out (not to mention burying it and all that). However the wireless network does cross the distance, though at somewhat weak signal strength. Such that the wireless adapter for the Xbox offers an iffy connection, moreso if the weather isn't great.

So we're looking at picking up another wireless router (Or bridge? I'm not sure about the equipment/terminology here), setting that up in the first building, and repeating the wireless network throughout the building for laptops and the xbox, and wiring the desktops into it. Thus merging the two networks, bringing everything together and giving the first building easy internet and printer access.

So the question is, is this possible? Will we simply need another Linksys router like the ISP handout they have already? And how hard to set up might this be? Keep in mind the wireless signal isn't to strong by the time it gets out to the first building (1 to 2 'bars' by Windows XP reckoning, depending on location in the building and weather conditions).

Arrath on

• Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yes, this is possible. I came across an extra router, a Linksys WRT54G, and set it up as a wireless repeater to use at my grandmother's house or anywhere else where there's a weak wireless signal available in one little spot.

The basic process for setting up a wireless repeater goes like this:

Get a Linksys WRT54GL router. Most versions of the WRT54G will also work.
    Load DDWRT on to it.
    Take a laptop and join the wireless network you want to repeat. Take a note of your IP and gateway.
    Plug in the router to become a repeater and connect to it with a cable.
    Disable the DHCP server, the SPI firewall, and change the router's IP address from 192.168.1.1 to be the same as the gateway address of the network you wish to join, only add one to the final number. For example, if the other router's gateway address is 192.168.1.1, make the repeater's 192.168.1.2. Hit apply.

If you can't get back to the router's management page after this point, you'll have to manually configure TCP/IP for a moment. Usually DDWRT is good about accepting connections even from self-assigned IPs, however.

IP: 192.168.1.116
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.2 (or what ever you set it to)

Anyway, go to the Wireless tab and to Basic Settings. Set the mode to Repeater Bridge. Apply. The page will now change. Under Wireless Network Name, enter the name of the network you want to repeat. Add a virtual interface and call it what you would like the repeated network to be called. It doesn't need to be the same.

Throw away any custom TCP/IP settings you may have used, join your repeated network and enjoy.

Troubleshooting: If you get all the way to the final step and still have no connectivity on the repeated network (but the repeated network appears), try this. Go to Status -> Wireless and do a site survey. If the repeater can see the network it's supposed to be repeating, it will appear in the list. Click the join button in the line with the network you want and continue/save/apply.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, if the wireless signal is weak between the two buildings use something like a cantenna on the repeater.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My two cents? Your biggest problem is going to be directional antennae. If you can attach different antennae to whatever bridges you use then you're set. Additionally, the lower the signal strength the lower your actual throughput would be. As for the hub, replace that ASAP otherwise your hosts in building A are in for a world of performance-hurt.
    I'll be interested to hear how this turns out if you wouldn't mind updating us when you're finished. I know this can be done easily with a bit of money but I doubt you're looking to spend ~$400 on used wireless gear to setup a solid bridge.

Krikee on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    If the repeater reports "30%" or more signal strength on its status screen, there's a good chance you'll be reasonably happy with the link. Router <-> router links are generally better in quality than router <-> computer links.

Just try a basic setup before you buy anything expensive. Be sure to try boosting the signal transmit power on both routers to about 150mW to improve the connection. More than that and you risk overheat or hurting throughput.

Buy a router with swappable antennas so that you can trade up to fancier antenna options without re-buying equipment should the initial test turn out unsatisfactory.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Considering that this is the hub I mentioned (I did say it was old as dirt didn't I?) it will certainly be upgraded.

No, we're not looking to spend several hundred getting this going, so hopefully a WRT54GL like Zack suggested will suffice. More than willing to attach cantennas, tin foil strips, rabbit's feet, anything that will help the signal strength.

I was hoping that router <-> router links would have more power, figured they would which is what drove me to try this in the first place. Having never read a router's manual but having varying levels of experience with the factory installed firmware of a linksys router or two, I've never noticed an option to up transmitting power. Is this a cleverly hidden multiswitch on the router somewhere, or a feature custom firmware like dd-wrt will allow me to configure?

Anywho, I'm looking to see if anyone local sells a WRT54GL as it looks like a solid unit. Sadly, the nearest Fry's electronics is 2 1/2+ hours away and Best Buy doesn't seem to carry it. Ordering it from the Walmart website and having it shipped to their local store looks like the best option right now.

Arrath on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Any router that runs DDWRT or Tomato can function as a wireless bridge. To increase the transmitting power you would probably need to look into an aftermarket antenna mods on the routers.

It might also be worth it to set up a 802.11n network, as n is supposed to have a larger range than b or g.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I do suggest the WRT54GL over the plain G or other router models simply because I've had so much good luck with it. Wireless networking can be infuriating when one machine just won't connect for some reason or the thing needs a restart every few days. My GL has been running for a few years without any intervention. On the stock firmware none the less. Also, some versions of the G have removable antennas, others don't. Some versions work fine with 3rd party firmware, others choke. The GL is designed to work with 3rd party firmware (or rather, not to block it).

If you want to get it online, Newegg has the WRT54GL in stock (unlike Walmart) and for $10 less.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190

And yes, increasing transmit power is a feature in the dd-wrt replacement firmware and not in the stock setup. It works well to move a link from marginal to good connectivity.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm going to put this out here as a simple DYI antenna mode: http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html

For info on DYI Antennas: http://revision3.com/systm/surfer/ Has a nice video and a bunch of useful links.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Router arrived today. Ignored the DDWRT page when it said to flash mini or micro first, so now I'm downloading the default firmware from linksys to fix my mess. Will post further results. Whats best about this is that I already had both micro and standard downloaded, but just decided to go straight to standard to save some time. I nominate myself for the hurf-durf award.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Arrath wrote: »
    Router arrived today. Ignored the DDWRT page when it said to flash mini or micro first, so now I'm downloading the default firmware from linksys to fix my mess. Will post further results.

Ouch. Yeah, there might not enough room on the thing to hold the stock firmware plus the full DDWRT (you have the GL, right?). Honestly, the first time I did it, I put mini on there, took a look at the settings, and said forget the full version. Mini (and micro) are already more featureful than the stock software.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    darkphoenix22darkphoenix22 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would suggest loading the Asus WL-520GU with DD-WRT. It's at least $20 cheaper than the WRT54GL with the exact same specs and will run the full version of DD-WRT and Tomato. It also has a detachable antenna, unlike the newer Linksys models. It looks alot nicer than the WRT54GL too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320023&Tpk=asus%20wl-520gu

Edit: Whoops didn't see you already got the router.

darkphoenix22 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Success! Flashed the firmware back to default linksys stuff then put mini on it. Set it up per Zack's instructions and I'm now posting over it. Awesome, no more shitty cell-phone network usb stick to get on the internet with.

The Xbox is being cantankerous so far, but I'm working on it. Computers work, at least.

Edit: Had to manually assign the 360 its ip and dns servers. Also had to turn on UPnP on the new router, but its still bitching about NAT being strict. Any ideas?

Editx2: Not that it seems all too important, I'm able to get into XBL games with reasonable speed. But it would be nice to get the warning out of the way.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The repeated network is on the same subnet as the main network, and all Local -> Internet traffic links are handled on the main router, so if you're running into issues with NAT, it has to be due to settings on the main router.

Make sure the SPI firewall is off on both sides of the wireless link. If you bring the XBox to the other building and link up directly to that router, do you still get the message? If so and you're sure the settings on the main router are setup correctly, it's possible that the cable modem has a router built in too. That's right, even if it has no wireless and only a single port on the back. Check on the main router what it says its WAN or internet IP is. If it starts with 192, 10, or 172, then you have a router in the modem too that's screwing with things.

Lastly, sometimes it helps if both ends of a wireless link are running DDWRT, though they shouldn't need to be. I've run into a problem with an old Linksys WRT54G router -> DDWRT repeater working fine except one machine on the DDWRT end could not seem to get DHCP packets. Switching the old WRT54G's firmware to DDWRT mini fixed it.

Keep in mind the installing DDWRT on a plain WRT54G (without the L) can be a little dicey. Get instructions from the DDWRT site and follow them as if they came straight from the deity of your choice.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg