As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Proper host gift

LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
The professionals of my office are going to dinner at the home of a partner. Normally, I use the standard go-to gifts for a host or hostess. Flowers are out of the question. He has a cellar full of good wine, effectively placing me out of the price range to make anything alcohol related a viable gift.

So, any thoughts on what to get the boss who has everything as a host gift for a dinner party?

LaPuzza on

• underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Does he/she have any pictures of himself/herself doing stuff on his/her desk?

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pick something to do with their interests or profession.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Make sure you don't over-think this. A host/ess gift is something very small and just a "token" gift. You aren't looking for that "certain something" they may not have and might want.

I'd still say bringing a bottle of wine or champagne is fine, because it's just going to get used up at the dinner right away. That way, he doesn't dip into his own cellar for that one.

You could also go to a bakery and bring a nice dessert or something.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I know a good deal about the guy, he's a golfer and a horseracing fan, but I don't know how those equate to a simple, classy gift. Someone showing up to dinner with a dozen golf balls seems lame.

LaPuzza on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Why specifically are flowers out? Occasionally an interesting plant which is not flowers is appropriate. I think it's also perfectly acceptable to focus the gift on the spouse. If the partner is the husband, a box of chocolates for his wife (if he has one) might be appropriate.

Alternatively, if you will be traveling at any point before the event, I recommend picking up a local bottle of wine. While it won't be in the price range of his other wines, it's personalized enough to seem very gracious. "I was traveling through ____ where I found this great wine. I brought you a bottle so you could try it."

Edit: Second Figgy's vote that just showing up with any bottle of wine will never be considered rude. I just get the impression that you want to bring a gift that will get the partner's attention.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You could also ask if there's anything you can bring to help with dinner. If he tells you a side dish or to bring a dessert, problem solved!

In addition to wine or chocolate, there's also gourmet cheese (to go with his wine) or a beer sampler.

Hypatia on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    I know a good deal about the guy, he's a golfer and a horseracing fan, but I don't know how those equate to a simple, classy gift. Someone showing up to dinner with a dozen golf balls seems lame.

Get monogrammed golf balls? Nothing cheesy about that?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Find out what his brand of balls are and get him some. There's nothing lame about thoughtfully picking out a gift that you know he'll use.

I know people's hearts are in the right place when they say to ask if there's something you can bring, but I wouldn't do that. He's a partner; it's a dinner party, not a potluck. It might be taken the wrong way if you offer to bring food.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009

Well, if he's a horse racing fan, how about a KY Derby commemorative glass? Maybe a KY Derby commemorative bottle of Woodford Reserve? Of course, this may or may not be difficult to come by depending on where you live. I, personally, can't throw a rock without hitting this stuff.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Instead of wine you could always get a good bottle of port... A little different and most people don't keep cellar full of it.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I will have to hunt down a bottle of Woodford Reserve to keep around next time I need something for him.

People complain about buying me gifts because I buy everything I want for myself. Now I feel their pain.

LaPuzza on
  • SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A dessert wine? There are some nice, reasonably priced icewines out there, and they're always a treat.

Sarcastro on