As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vagrant Story

TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
Hey all,

So a friend of mine was talking about this game recently, and it sounded pretty cool. So I was reading the wiki entry, and vaguely recalled people bitching about it as well. It looks pretty hard to find, but there are a few copies online for like $30 or so, and I was wondering what you guys thought of it. Reviews are a little less useful considering the game is 8 years old at this point, so I have no idea how it has aged.

I guess I just want some opinions before I shell out some money for it.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
FFXIV: Tchel Fay
Nintendo ID: Tortalius
Steam: Tortalius
Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
Tcheldor on

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    Oh God I loved Vagrant Story, despite the game itself. The music, art and atmosphere are all excellent, and the plot is even pretty good! The combat is a pain until you figure things out, and which point it's not terrible but it's not awesome. Be prepared to spend as much time crafting weapons as actually playing later on, though. The game always felt unfinished, too. Not it that plot is missing, but in that certain areas don't feel right, like there was supposed to be something more to them. I'm thinking of the area you can keep going into and out of to spawn the enemy that drops Arturos gems, although that might be my fuzzy memory.

A duck! on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I found the combat system to be interminable. Managing the weapons for type effectiveness and kind of weapon and ugh, I tried picking it up again maybe a year ago and got stuck on some fat clown elemental thing. I had a weapon that was good against elemental but the kind of weapon wasn't good against him meaning I would plink him for one damage at a time.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I'd agree with everyone above. The story and graphics are good, but they game itself just isn't fun. It's way too convoluted, and it really feels like they added all the complexity in the battle system just for the sake of complexity.

Dartboy on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The game is great, but be warned... it's a 3D PSX title. I mean, yea graphics aren't the be all end all, but old 3D titles really look like ass. Gameplay is still solid, but painful to look at.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BluefootBluefoot Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The key is to have one good piercing, blunt, and edged weapon available at all times. Then you can use gems to tailor your weapon to the particular enemy you're fighting. I have no idea how they expected people to figure that out on their own, though.

Anyway once you figure out the battle system the game gets pretty awesome. The story is freakin' great, and it's only like 20 hours long so there's no trademark Square bloat.

Bluefoot on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wanted to like it, but as others have mentioned, the really convoluted weapon system really made things unfun.

On a side note, if you haven't already, play Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. It's Vagrant Story's gameplay done right.

RainbowDespair on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I still need to beat Vagrant Story some time. I've gotten pretty far in it, but always lost interest. I got pretty good at the weapon system though.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's a gem. A flawed gem, yes, but the atmosphere and characters are amazing. There are some great ideas in the game mechanics too.

Also, it's very pretty. Which was rare for games on the PS1.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited April 2009
    Aside from the actual weapon crafting, I enjoy the combat mechanics. It's just that weapon system that bugs me at times.

The forge music that plays when you're crafting still haunts me at times due to hearing it so much.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I loved this game, but I remember getting stuck at one part and could never find where to go. Seriously, I would come back to it every week or so and try to find out where I need to go, but would never find it. I did this for a while too. Never did get past that point.

But all-in-all, a pretty good game.

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's still pretty much my favorite game ever.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Does anyone know a good FAQ for this game? I don't want a walkthrough to get me through the bosses and levels, but I'd really like some non-convoluted explanation of weapon crafting. One that will allow me to have the right weapons so I'm not plinking away at bosses for 2 damage.

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I enjoyed everything about that game. I think somewhere in my closet I still have an old printout of a flowchart style guide for crafting damascus dread armor in a post by a guy named Tilt on the GameFAQs forums, folded up and yellowed like some ancient piece of parchment. I also recall I took the time to build an ultimate weapon (i.e. full damage against all enemies and elements) of every single class (staff, spear, 1h sword, 2h sword, crossbow, etc).

You should definitely give it a try, the game is hard as nails your first time through.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I remember playing twice, because there were areas you could only get into on New Game+

Pretty sure I did all the extra stuff, and the Rood Blade was badass.

Dranyth on
    edited April 2009
    The simple fact that each boss had different music was totally mind-blowing to me back then, coming off of FFVII and other RPGs of the time.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited April 2009
    Dranyth wrote: »
    I remember playing twice, because there were areas you could only get into on New Game+

Pretty sure I did all the extra stuff, and the Rood Blade was badass.

"Holy Win" was the name of it, and it was totally badass.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Love it. Seriously, I love the damn game so much. One of the very, very few videogames ever that actually has a decent story; stunning atmospherics (not many games get dark medieval down right, either); still looks pretty good as long as you can accept games used to, you know, throw less than a million polygons around any given second and once you get the hang of the weapon/combat system it will not let you go in a hurry. Sadly the learning curve involved in getting to that point is... well, steep is not the word. But once you're there...

It doesn't quite all hang together but it got closer than most games manage even today. The final boss battle remains one of my favourite videogaming moments ever, even if he was the one enemy where I ended up plinking away at him for two or three points of damage at a time. Hey - it just made it all the more satisfying when he finally went down. :P

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think it still looks pretty good. I haven't played it on the PS3, but the PS2 had an option to smooth it out that made it look slightly better.

But everyone is spot on about the combat system. Really it's not too bad other than weapon system. You've got to have a weapon for every occasion because if you have the wrong type (and I want to say element as well), you'll either do very little damage or none. It probably took me almost an hour to beat the final boss my first time through because I was chaining 1 damage.

Invisible on
    edited April 2009
    I think it still looks gorgeous, but then unlike most people on the internet I have this odd blind spot where I can actually see past the lack of modern-day graphical bells and whistles. ;-) Seriously, it's got strong graphic design, a really well-chosen monotone colour palette, a good use of limited 3D capabilities... this thread is making me want to start it up again. Stop it! Stop it I say!

Plus "Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements" is one of my favourite lines in anything ever. All hail Mr. Alexander O. Smith, a man who can work 80s action movie cheese into an ARPG and somehow not have it come off as a glaring anachronism.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My one standing complaint about Vagrant Story is the crafting system. It was over saturated with stupid useless shit.

But that complaint wasn't enough to make me not enjoy the game.

Henroid on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am the reinforcements.

Love this game, so much. Storytelling was top-notch.

Dehumanized on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I love Vagrant Story. Man good times, good times.

I am almost positive a lot of sound fx in Vagrant Story were re-used in FF XII. I suppose this might be a common practice, I don't know, but if it is it was certainly the first game I really noticed it in.

Aside from that scream that is in Starcraft and a ton of other stuff.

edit- as much has I love the game, would it have killed Ashley to put a God damn shirt on?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    god, there was such a good game under a horribly fucking convoluted crafting system

but goddamn

the crafting

PiptheFair on
    edited April 2009
    I really didn't find it that hard. Did everyone bow out the first time they thought "Christ, this is complicated" or something? I gave up first time out, tried it again, still didn't have much of a clue what I was doing, decided I'd approach it via the time-honoured system of "Item A1+A2=Item B1" and did okay. I don't think I got a single piece of damascus armour or anything, but I still beat the damn game relatively easily, so, eh.

Eight Rooks on

edited April 2009
    I really didn't find it that hard. Did everyone bow out the first time they thought "Christ, this is complicated" or something? I gave up first time out, tried it again, still didn't have much of a clue what I was doing, decided I'd approach it via the time-honoured system of "Item A1+A2=Item B1" and did okay. I don't think I got a single piece of damascus armour or anything, but I still beat the damn game relatively easily, so, eh.

I pretty much sat down and played through it start to finish when it came out and only really had a problem with the first dragon boss, because I didn't have a weapon meant for that type yet. After that, it was smooth sailing.

Vincent Grayson on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The crafting was a pain, but you could just closely rely on a FAQ and then focus on the story.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited April 2009
    I must admit my most recent playthrough - via emulation on PS3 - I ended up with something that gave me horrific vulnerability to fire attacks (so the first dragon was decimating me) and I had no idea how/why. So even now the combat can still trip me up. It's certainly not a perfect game.

But it comes so agonisingly close.

Eight Rooks on

edited April 2009
    hey that e word

also, decimate means to destroy one tenth of

PiptheFair on
    edited April 2009
    vocabulown'd

and me a Creative Writing graduate. <_<

But I meant as in the legal built-in emulation of original PS1 games on PS3. Sorry.

Eight Rooks on

edited April 2009
    oh ok, my bad

carry on

PiptheFair on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    edit- as much has I love the game, would it have killed Ashley to put a God damn shirt on?

The guy wears assless pants and you're complaining about his exposed chest?

l337CrappyJack on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Axen wrote: »

The guy wears assless pants and you're complaining about his exposed chest?

Thank you, I've been blocking that memory for years and in one fell swoop you bring it all back.

You bastard.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am the reinforcements.

Love this game, so much. Storytelling was top-notch.

That line was so damn great.

Henroid on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Great story, annoying gameplay. I was like 16 or 17 when this came out, and a friend of mine and me basically played it from friday afternoon until sunday night just beating the shit out of it and doing everything. It was a great experience. I would never play it again, for the sheer annoying crafting system and lousy combat. Totally worth a play through for the story though. It took them until FF12 to get localization as good as this game did.

Joshmvii on
    edited April 2009
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Great story, annoying gameplay. I was like 16 or 17 when this came out, and a friend of mine and me basically played it from friday afternoon until sunday night just beating the shit out of it and doing everything. It was a great experience. I would never play it again, for the sheer annoying crafting system and lousy combat. Totally worth a play through for the story though. It took them until FF12 to get localization as good as this game did.

Not that I necessarily agree, but you do know it was the same guy localised VS' and FFXII's script, right?

Eight Rooks on

• BluefootBluefoot Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, all you guys who quit after the first playthrough missed out on the totally rad bonus dungeon including, among other things:
    A badass zombie-dragon and zombie-ogre tag-team boss fight.

Though I guess if you hated the combat the whole long-ass dungeon with no save points thing would have been pretty aggravating.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8E8PsIgp3Y

I'm gonna have to play through this game again now. Damn you all.

Bluefoot on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Having replayed this a few months back, I can say it's aged pretty well. At the time, it looked amazing.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Having replayed this a few months back, I can say it's aged pretty well. At the time, it looked amazing.

I have a hard time thinking of a PSX game that's aged better, save some of the 2D ones.

Vincent Grayson on
  • HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Vagrant Story is my all time favorite PS1 game (and at least top 5 overall). Just such a great game with only a few flaws. God dammit people, now I feel the urge to play this again.

Has anyone tried playing this on their PSP through remote play on the PS3? I might have to take a stab at it. I'm just a little worried about the timing during combat if there is a delay over my wireless network. I also don't remember if all 4 shoulder buttons were used...

Halibut on
  • Junior YankJunior Yank Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ugh, this thread made me jump over to the Let's Play archive, and there's no Vagrant Story LP!

I remember loving the game when it first came out (I did the NG+ as well), and I actually liked the crafting system. But the plot? I remember nothing.

Man, Square put out a shitload of great PS1 games...

Junior Yank on