As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D 4.0 LFG - modestly noob

RidetsuRidetsu Registered User new member
edited April 2009 in Critical Failures
So, I tried reading around this forum area for a bit, seeing if this was the right place to post it. If it isn't, please re-direct it and I apologize beforehand for any placing this thread in the wrong area.

So, I'm interested in getting back into D&D... when I was a bit younger (13-18) I played edition(s) 2.5 and 3.0 (omg THACO system) with a good friend of mine. He was always the DM and a character (it was just the two of us playing, but sometimes his brother would join), and it was tons of fun. We eventually fell out of it in favor for video-games... MMORPG, FPS, and RTS mostly. Now though, after some time in college, and my life settling down considerably (I'm 21.. lol, yah - 'settling down' alright) I was inexplicably drawn back to tabletop gaming by some guys I met in college. I played with them for a bit, but soon our D&D night turned into a hookah smoking night, so I decided it was time to go elsewhere for my newly rekindled D&D desires.

I searched around for others to play with... and even started going online to try and find it. A lot fo what I found though, was typical roleplaying through post stuff - and while I do enjoy writing and roleplaying, it wasn't the game I was looking for, so my interest was limited.

Then the other day, I finally followed a PA link to the DnD site to listen to the DnD podcasts. That's what I'm looking for. So I rummaged around and found some information about doing this sort of thing online... but then again, if you post anything along the lines of "DnD online" you get the MMORPG game. So now I am here - looking for some way to play D&D online. I have tools like Vent and Teamspeak (I use teamspeak frequently), but will need some help with learning how to use other tools like online game tables and dice rollers (links to such thigns would be appreciated).

More than anything though, I guess I'm looking for a group to join. I'd like to learn the 4th edition rules, and actually, a friend of mine claims to have most every 4th edition book in PDF format, and I'm sure will send me the required ones like the PHB and monsters manual so I can browse over them. However the best learning comes from experience, so I would like to find a group willing to accept me.

my style:
On occasion I'll voice my character, but only until I'v come out of my shell and am used to the people I am playing with. More often than not, I'll be playing in the first person perspective.. "I'll use my rage attack against the Orc" or "I need to make a perspective check."
I guess I consider myself a "light role-player" in that I don't get obsessively into character when I play, but I do take myself seriously. So if your idea of a good DnD campaign is:
"I sit in a bar and use my charisma to get with the hot dragonborn chick" then I'm not all that interested. There is of course time for playful humor, and I would rather laugh than anything else, but I can be a bit serious at times.

So.. if you could render any aid in helping me find my way through all this, I would be greatly appreciative.

One Winged Angel~~*
Ridetsu on

• Options
    RidetsuRidetsu Registered User new member
    edited April 2009
    aye, I see a great deal of it here so far is Play by Post (PbP?)- which has its merits and I have done in the past... but right now I am seeking a more table-top experience through the use of skype/team-speak or the like, and dice. Role-playing PbP is fun - its just not what I am seeking.

My friend sent me some core books to use, so as of now I am trying to build a character and find somewhere to play. A low level game would be fun - and starting out a new campaign with a group of people would be great, but I'm more than willing to join a low level campaign in progress. I guess I'm just looking for the old school DnD experience through the internet medium.

I'm hopeful.

Ridetsu on
    One Winged Angel~~*
  • Options
    likethesearchenginelikethesearchengine Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ridetsu, There is a recruiting thread you should post to. It is where most DMs post their new games, too, besides a recruiting thread here.

I'm also trying to get in on a PbP 4e game.

Edit:Oh, flatline mentioned the thread. But I gave a link so I'm not totally worthless... right? ...Right? ...Guys?

likethesearchengine on
    moulder_sage_magic.gif
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A lot of DMs here announce their upcoming online games in Critical Failure's D&D thread (or the chat forum), and often in the Recruiting thread, which pretty much only gets activity from DMs now. Players signing up in that thread doesn't prove very productive because they don't update their entries when their conditions change and DMs create recruiting threads anyway with never a shortage of players.

A very common means for playing online is Maptools, or a similar virtual tabletop program. Players will log into the game and can draw and manipulate tokens on a virtual map, sometimes using a voicechat program in addition.

Definitely watch the D&D thread for any games looking for players, they pop up constantly.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif