As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best PC speakers?

jasonlesterjasonlester Registered User regular
Sick of these 99 dollar pieces of crap turning down the volume for no reason

They snap, crackle and pop like rice bubbles, and are quite terrible. They are 5.1, and I don't really have a need for that.

So, 2.1 speakers. I have heard logitech's offering, which is nice, but are their other options.

Price isn't so much of an issue rather than sound quality. I'm a musician, but don't really have the need to splurge on nice monitors at the moment.

I've heard good things from Logitech and m-audio.

Current speakers are creative, and I'd like to steer clear of them.

edit: It will be used mostly for movies and music. 400 dollar budget I guess. Hopefully less.

jasonlester on

• Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Great news...that $400 budget is way overkill unless you go for high end 5.1 (and even then, for computer speakers, probably still overkill). Logitech is good, and you could probably just go to Newegg and buy as nice a 2.1 set from them as you want. If you're willing to hunt around, I strongly recommend the older Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. These things get amazing bass, can go to fairly high volume without a problem, and sound amazing. They were part of Klipsch's short-lived foray into computer speakers, and aren't made anymore.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Logitech speakers are good for gaming. I'd stick with pro audio gear for music. You could easily get some nice monitors with that budget so I wouldn't consider it a splurge.

M-audios BX series are very nice. They recently updated the product line so I got a pair of BX8as (last year's model, not the new BX8A deluxes) for $300 a couple months ago. I use them for movies, gaming, music, everything - they absolutely shatter any multimedia speakers I've ever heard when it comes to bass, power, and sound quality. Caveat - them suckers be large.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Still, if you are hell bent on spending $400 on the best that money can buy, these Razer 2.1 speakers are just something else. :D

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-mako/

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've been thinking the same thing lately. When it comes time to put down money I would go with:

Logitech Z-2300

or if you want 5.1

Logitech Z-5500

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    warmepwarmep Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    risumon wrote: »
    I've been thinking the same thing lately. When it comes time to put down money I would go with:

Logitech Z-2300

or if you want 5.1

Logitech Z-5500

If you get the Z-5500s, get them from Amazon.com or BuyDig.com. Prices shipped are much better.

I've got the older version of those speakers, the Z-680s. The sound is great and from what I've read (and heard, my friend has the Z-5500s) they are mostly just cosmetic updates from the Z-680. That being said, unless you want/need surround sound, go for a nice set of 2.1 speakers. Keep in mind that you aren't limited to computer speakers on your budget.

warmep on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sometimes I have the most horrible dreams. Or maybe they are real. Do dead men dream?
  • Options
    Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I love the Z-5500's for movies. But for music, the mid's are really under-represented, and I'd suggest you avoid them.

Rotting Meat on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Logitech speakers are good for gaming. I'd stick with pro audio gear for music. You could easily get some nice monitors with that budget so I wouldn't consider it a splurge.

M-audios BX series are very nice. They recently updated the product line so I got a pair of BX8as (last year's model, not the new BX8A deluxes) for $300 a couple months ago. I use them for movies, gaming, music, everything - they absolutely shatter any multimedia speakers I've ever heard when it comes to bass, power, and sound quality. Caveat - them suckers be large.

The M-audio BXs look nice. They are 400 AUD at my local shop. But they are notoriously expensive.

I'm going to have a look at them tonight

Didn't mention it but I want to avoid the z5500s like the PLAGUE.

They just sound loud, not good.

How would I hook up the M-audios to a computer? My soundcard is probably a bit terrible. I need a 1/4" jack right? Would I simple converter work? or am I better off buying a nice soundcard? I usually use a laptop anyway for recording.

jasonlester on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

The M-audio BXs look nice. They are 400 AUD at my local shop. But they are notoriously expensive.

How would I hook up the M-audios to a computer? My soundcard is probably a bit terrible. I need a 1/4" jack right? Would I simple converter work? or am I better off buying a nice soundcard? I usually use a laptop anyway for recording.
    Ohhhh, 400 AUD. I was thinking 400 USD.

Regarding connections - depends on the M-Audio speakers, really. The BX models are probably definitively out of your price line then. Their AV30/AV40 line have RCA jacks and are easy to hook up to any computer's headphone jack or line out with a normal y-cable. The BX models need a (<$5) TRS>RCA adaptor for each speaker

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am super fucking happy with these speakers. I paid $100 when they were on sale at buy.com or something.

Digital connections FTW! No more wiggling the iffy 2.5mm connectors!

The speakers are perfect size for desktop use and have simulated surround if you can't put any rear speakers up. Works decently, but I just use 3-channel setup.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Check these out (Audio Engine Speakers)

These are RIDICULOUS speakers for the money. If you have $200 or $400 to spend, you can't really do better. The perfect functionality with your iPod is just icing on the cake. I have a couple of sets of A5's, one in my bedroom at home and one set that I use in our trade show booth. The bass from these guys is amazing (kevlar drivers FTW!)

The last time I was using them was at the last MLG event in New Jersey. You could hear them clearly 200+ feet away. Pretty crazy, and I wasn't even pushing them.

Storm Shadow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Check these out (Audio Engine Speakers)

These are RIDICULOUS speakers for the money. If you have $200 or $400 to spend, you can't really do better. The perfect functionality with your iPod is just icing on the cake. I have a couple of sets of A5's, one in my bedroom at home and one set that I use in our trade show booth. The bass from these guys is amazing (kevlar drivers FTW!)

The last time I was using them was at the last MLG event in New Jersey. You could hear them clearly 200+ feet away. Pretty crazy, and I wasn't even pushing them.
    Oh, very nice. This is just about the first time I've seen speakers marketed to the computer/ipod crowd that actually have good build/design/components/specs. I'm going to remember this brand, thanks. (Kevlar FTW indeed. M-Audio BX8s use it too)

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Ohhhh, 400 AUD. I was thinking 400 USD.

Regarding connections - depends on the M-Audio speakers, really. The BX models are probably definitively out of your price line then. Their AV30/AV40 line have RCA jacks and are easy to hook up to any computer's headphone jack or line out with a normal y-cable. The BX models need a (<$5) TRS>RCA adaptor for each speaker

The BX8a deluxes...are 400 AUD for both :) on special or something. I'll check all of them out though, these look good. I'll let you guys know what I do. They were pretty busy yesterday so I didn't have a chance to check them out.

jasonlester on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    They sold out of BX5s, so I ended up going with the Behringer TRUTH B2030A

I have 10 days to try them out. So far, my mind is blown. It feels like the song has been made right in front of me. I can pick out the different layers. They are fairly nice.

Not sure how to hook up my computer to them though...

ATM I have my ipod set up via a 1/8" to 1/4" converter...then a splitter, to two guitar cables, then into both of the speakers. This isn't ideal.

How should I be doing this? Do I need other cables? Like actual monitor cables? There is a slight buzz cause of this shitty cable I currently have...

jasonlester on
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Good choice on the Behringers. Hooking them up to your PC is going to vary based on what you have sound card-wise, but basically it's going to be the same idea as your iPod hookup - converting in one direction or the other until you get to the desired input/output jack style. It may be beneficial to start with some 1/4" TRS cables and convert towards the sound card - the quality may end up better, but the cost may end up higher as well.

You mentioned earlier that you do recording on your laptop - are you using your Behringers on that, or on a different desktop?

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Stepping way, WAY down....can anyone recommend some good $60 to $80 speakers for your average cheapskate? My $7 Logitech speakers (purchased 4 years ago, no less) still work, but I'm beginning to think I'm doing myself a disservice (especially given that I paid approximately 300 times that for my computer proper).

Logitech seems like a pretty good brand, but I'm open to anything within my price range. Doesn't have to be 5.1, obviously.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you're not attached to having a sub in the system, the M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 pair would be a good choice. Slightly higher at the Egg than your target, but I'm sure shopping around would help.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Subwoofer is completely optional. Basically, my main size constraints are cost (because at some point, something big costs money) and the desk space behind my LCD display. Though I'm sure if I cleaned up my desk, it would work.

*checks them out*

EDIT: I probably should have mentioned, I'm suing the onboard audio on my EVGA 780i motherboard. Not too surprising, given my $7 speakers.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Subwoofer is completely optional. Basically, my main size constraints are cost (because at some point, something big costs money) and the desk space behind my LCD display. Though I'm sure if I cleaned up my desk, it would work.

*checks them out*

EDIT: I probably should have mentioned, I'm suing the onboard audio on my EVGA 780i motherboard. Not too surprising, given my $7 speakers.

Behringer does make these, but I have no experience with them. That's as inexpensive as I've ever seen speakers from a "pro audio" company.

M-Audio makes these... but they are not as well reviewed so I would probably not get them.

If you could swing just the extra few dollars to get into the Behringer MS20/MS40 or the M-Audio AV30/AV40, it would be worth it. If you have SPDIF out on your motherboard the Behringer MS20 or 40 would be a good bet because it has digital in and I'd expect the Digital/Analog Converter to be a step up from onboard.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    They sold out of BX5s, so I ended up going with the Behringer TRUTH B2030A

I have 10 days to try them out. So far, my mind is blown. It feels like the song has been made right in front of me. I can pick out the different layers. They are fairly nice.

Not sure how to hook up my computer to them though...

ATM I have my ipod set up via a 1/8" to 1/4" converter...then a splitter, to two guitar cables, then into both of the speakers. This isn't ideal.

How should I be doing this? Do I need other cables? Like actual monitor cables? There is a slight buzz cause of this shitty cable I currently have...
    Very nice. I have not heard any of the Truth speakers before, but they are probably better than the BX5s actually. I do use Behringer MS40s with my PC and love them to pieces... (although the truth line > the MS line :) )

What I've used to hook my monitors up (until I added the EQ to the mix) was this combo..

This in the headphone jack

These in the speaker inputs

And connected with some mono RCA cables like this - (you can also just pull the wires of a stereo cable apart.)

Rigor Mortis on