Options

CPU running at full load . . . constantly

OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
I recently upgraded my RAM from 2GB DD2-800 ocz (4-5-5 @ 1.8V) to 4GB DDR2-800 G.Skill (4-4-4 @1.8~1.9V). I'm running a Core2Duo 7200 2.53Ghz/MSI G31M3 1333FSB with Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I've tried changing the BIOS settings to adjust the voltage and the timing but nothing changes the CPU from running at 90-100% capacity at all times. When I change back to the old ram the problem goes away. I've already sent one package of this G.Skill back to newegg because I thought they'd just sent me a bad batch, but two in a row? I'm stuck, any help would be appreciated.

camo_sig2.png
OSUJumpMan on

• Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What process does task manager say is taking up all that CPU time?

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    sidebar mostly (40-50%), task manager is taking 30%, firefox jumps between 1% and 30%

I should also note that the slowdown starts the moment vista starts loading (system boot is fine, but loading the OS suddenly takes a good 5-10 minutes just to reach the user select screen).

EDIT: closing sidebar helps some but I still get huge plateaus of CPU activity at or near 100% with little going on from my end (scrolling the window in firefox, changing between program windows)

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is this 32bit Vista? I remember hearing stories of pushing the 32-bit addressable limit of memory in a 32-bit system causing oddities... not sure if the problem still exists though.

Krikee on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    OSUJumpMan wrote: »
    I recently upgraded my RAM from 2GB DD2-800 ocz (4-5-5 @ 1.8V) to 4GB DDR2-800 G.Skill (4-4-4 @1.8~1.9V). I'm running a Core2Duo 7200 2.53Ghz/MSI G31M3 1333FSB with Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I've tried changing the BIOS settings to adjust the voltage and the timing but nothing changes the CPU from running at 90-100% capacity at all times. When I change back to the old ram the problem goes away. I've already sent one package of this G.Skill back to newegg because I thought they'd just sent me a bad batch, but two in a row? I'm stuck, any help would be appreciated.

I just finished trying to boot with each of the sticks individually and that worked perfectly fine. They each booted vista quickly and didn't cause the CPU any noticeable issues. However, as soon as I tried to boot both together the problem returned. I've disabled sidebar, steam, and open office from start-up but it doesn't seem to affect load time whatsoever.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    try running memtest86 to see if the ram is bad.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I just finished trying to boot with each of the sticks individually and that worked perfectly fine. They each booted vista quickly and didn't cause the CPU any noticeable issues. However, as soon as I tried to boot both together the problem returned. I've disabled sidebar, steam, and open office from start-up but it doesn't seem to affect load time whatsoever.

That is an odd problem indeed. Unfortunately, I don't have any specific advice, perhaps others do. The two things I would look into at the moment are updating the bios for your motherboard and checking out the MSI forums. There might be something there and you can also try posting your issue there. Even if the motherboard isn't the issue there are often some crazy hardware guys on there who may know more.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I have run memtest and it returns 100% clean each time. I'm updating the BIOS now and so far my google-fu has only led to me people getting BSOD with their combination of this RAM and vista64, so I'm considering myself lucky thus far. I appreciate the help, I'll be sure to add updates as I make progress or go insane trying.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I have run memtest and it returns 100% clean each time. I'm updating the BIOS now and so far my google-fu has only led to me people getting BSOD with their combination of this RAM and vista64, so I'm considering myself lucky thus far. I appreciate the help, I'll be sure to add updates as I make progress or go insane trying.

Be sure to check out the MSI boards and post a thread there if you don't find anything. The forums for major motherboard manufactures are going to give you a whole other level than what you will find on google. I've learned first hand. It's worth a shot either way.

I got 20 bucks that says insane. Any takers?

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Do you have any linux live cds lying around? You can try one of those with both sticks and see how that goes.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It could be an overheating issue, check the temperature. Most processors will slow themselves down if they get too hot.

Try loading in Safe Mode. If it works fine there, then start disabling startup items and 3rd party services from the msconfig menu.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Did you check your motherboard's compatibility list for the RAM you purchased? Maybe try getting RAM that is on that list.

If you already have 2 1GB sticks of OCZ try buying two more (if you have 4 RAM slots).

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Are you running any anti-virus stuff?

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think I've gotten this figured out after digging around the MSI forums (thanks Cronus). I'd established right away that it wasn't a heat issue since my CPU only jumped about 5C (which is about what I'd expect going from no load to constant full load). It turns out it IS apparently an issue with my motherboard not being compatible.

• Due to the limitation of G31 chipsets, dual channel support must meet some requirement in the specification of memory modules. please refer to Test Reports for detailed description.

Unfortunately, only having two slots means it's either dual-channel or 2GB single stick only for me. The list of acceptable vendors for RAM is almost obscenely short (Buffalo, OCZ, Mushkin, Crucial, Corsair, Kingston). Luckily (I guess), my fianceé's mobo runs the same speed ram and isn't nearly as restrictive so it's not a complete waste. Unfortunately, I now have to convince her to buy me memory in exchange for the memory I accidentally bought her . . . or something

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm glad to hear it worked out. Now you just need a little box with a bow and you can present the accidental gift as a real one.

It also looks as if it will be cheap fix looking at tsmvengy's links. I didn't realize DDR3 had that much of an impact on DDR2 prices.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cronus wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear it worked out. Now you just need a little box with a bow and you can present the accidental gift as a real one.

It also looks as if it will be cheap fix looking at tsmvengy's links. I didn't realize DDR3 had that much of an impact on DDR2 prices.

DDR3 really didnt' have that much of an impact. DDR2 was that cheap already. Ram prices for DDR2 went through the floor a while ago.

I think you're actually going to see DDR2 prices start to go up now that more and more production shifts to DDR3. Same thing happened to DDR1 during the transition to DDR2.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »

UUGGGGGGGHHHHHH . . . insanity settling in now . . . tried the second of those two and still have the same issue. Works fine with one stick, tries to murder the processor with both sticks in. I managed to find a PDF
    http://www.msi.com/uploads/test_report/TR10_1470.pdf
    that seems to indicate to me that I can only run dual channel at a max of 2GB but if i want two single-channel sticks it'll take up to 4GB? Does that really exist? Are the voices in my head that suggest fire to solve my problems lying?

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png