As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommend me a leg razor

RialeRiale I'm a little slowRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Title pretty much says it all. I've been shaving my legs these days and I could really use a razor designed for shaving them. I have no idea what I should look for in one, and have no one I can really ask for advice from, so I'm hoping someone here can make a recommendation.

33c9nxz.gif
Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
Riale on

• saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A girl razor?

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I guess? I don't really care how it's branded or labeled as long as it does the job well.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm a guy who used to shave his legs. This is important because our hair is different from girl hair. With that out of the way...

I really liked the Venus line. The grip was comfortable, the head pivoted a ridiculous amount, it felt impossible to cut myself, and the blades did a decent job removing a lot of hair.
    I loved the Shick Intuition, the blades are surrounded by a brick of shave cream essentially. The major issue with me was that the blade often had trouble laying against the skin, meaning it was worthless in the end.
    Have you considered a chemical hair remover? They certainly work, but they smell. But they work!
    How about an eppilator? Its like a couple dozen tweezers goin at you at once, and it hurts like all goddamned hell.
    Shaving can be expensive, especially for women. I don't know if I could shave my legs with a safety razor.

Also consider what you use as lubrication (a female friend only shaved with baby oil, I tried it, my skin said no), and you might want to look into some sort of bump stopper/aftershave care for your inner thighs. Might went nuts.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited April 2009
    I'm pretty much against waxing or any other form of hair removal besides cutting for various reasons (pain being one of them).

Expense is a concern, but I've been keeping them shaved with an old electric trimmer and it is far too time consuming and doesn't do the job well, so the expense is worth it to me.

As for aftershave and irritation, I don't think I'll have too much of a problem. My legs are pretty durable.

Although that does bring up another topic. My armpits have always been really sensitive (I tried probably about 20 different deodorants before I found one that didn't give me some kind of reaction) and shaving has often been painful and futile. Anyone have suggestions for taking care of that?

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    edited April 2009
    Shaving my armpits was easy. Again, it was with a Venus.
    Just something that pissed me off, freshly shaved, my legs felt amazing. I would sit there in class just stroking my calf. Then, all of a sudden, prickles. I hated them. It just grew back so fast. :(

Improvolone on
  • FloofyFloofy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Honestly, I'm a girl, I've been shaving my legs for over a decade, and whilst I can understand a certain reluctance to use hair removal stuff, it's honestly the single best and longest0lasting way I've found to to keep legs silky smoooth This stuff:
    Veet_CREAM_RASERA.jpg

is particularly good- I have VERY sensitive skin so I use the aloe vera one and I've never had problems apart from once leaving it on for half an hour whilst reading- and then all that happened was my skin was a little hot/sensitive for about 30 minutes afterwards.

If you're dead set against anything but blades, then yeah the Venus divine's okay but the replacement heads cost as much as the acual razor, so it's pretty fucking pricy over time. I've found diposable men's to be the best, used with a foaming shave gel. just make SURE that you

a)exfoliate the shaven area regularly in the regrowth period

and b)moisturise with either baby oil after a shower on wet skin (which is fantastic) or some sort of body lotion

otherwise you'll suffer the dreaded ingrown leg-bumps.

Floofy on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Stop being a wuss and use an epilator! Hair regrowth takes 4 weeks, it takes about half an hour to do your legs; moisturise well and use an exfoliating scrub/mitt to reduce ingrown hair. You got no prickly hair regrowth and have smooth legs for ages.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As has been said, an epilator is an excellent device once you get used to the dozens of tweezers and scary noise (on mine anyway!).

I don't always have the patience to let the regrowth come through properly afterwards and use a razor from the Venus range as others have reccommended - I use this and the blades seem to last ages. I'm sure it comes in a manlier blue colour as well :D

Edilith on
    edited April 2009
    I've cut myself on a veet "razor".
    That was weird.

Improvolone on
  • NinyuNinyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't have any suggestions. I am just curious as to why you shave your legs. Swimmer, gay, some metrosexual thing the kids are doing these days. I got the sense you are male. Not making any judgements here. Just wondering why.

Ninyu on
    "It would be cool if you lived with a monster, you would never get hiccups." - Mitch Hedburg
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ninyu wrote: »
    I don't have any suggestions. I am just curious as to why you shave your legs. Swimmer, gay, some metrosexual thing the kids are doing these days. I got the sense you are male. Not making any judgements here. Just wondering why.

Some people shave their face, some people shave their legs. I'm not sure how his reason is related to us helping him get smooth legs.

I have it on good authority that venus razors + foaming shaving cream + baby oil produces good results, at least for girls. I don't know anything about waxing but I'll say that I have used a scary rotating epiliator thingy on myself and it works well but it's painful.

Dman on
    edited April 2009

I'm gay.

Regardless of the fact, I dislike bodily hair except on the head. I find being smooth much more comfortable and attractive.

About the epilator, it's part of my weird personal philosophy that I don't like pulling out or stopping anything natural (I won't use antiperspirant for example) on my body, although I don't mind cutting the hair. It does seem like the best overall option in terms of price and ease of use though, so I might get one anyways. The pain I can definitely deal with, especially if it leaves me smoother and means I have to fuss with it less often (my hair normally grows very quickly).

Thanks to everyone who's commented, you've all been a great help.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Riale wrote: »

I'm gay.

Regardless of the fact, I dislike bodily hair except on the head. I find being smooth much more comfortable and attractive.

About the epilator, it's part of my weird personal philosophy that I don't like pulling out or stopping anything natural (I won't use antiperspirant for example) on my body, although I don't mind cutting the hair. It does seem like the best overall option in terms of price and ease of use though, so I might get one anyways. The pain I can definitely deal with, especially if it leaves me smoother and means I have to fuss with it less often (my hair normally grows very quickly).

Thanks to everyone who's commented, you've all been a great help.

Another benefit to pulling the hair out is that it grows back finer and less visible over time, and then eventually, not at all.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • TinuzTinuz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I guess it depends on the person, and what you do. I am straight (and male), but I do shave my chest for example. The reason is that I only have hair growth around my nipples and after a while it looks like I have two little braids hanging from my chest...not very appealing.

I have considered shaving my legs as well, for several reasons. One being sports...I cycle a lot and although I don't give a sh*t about aerodynamics, anything but brand new shorts just seems to "abrade" the hair off in a painful way. Also, on my calves it tends to get frizzy as well as rather dark on my very light legs. Both not very attractive.

I advice against the safety razor, by the way. It deals very poorly with nooks and crannies :p

Tinuz on
  • Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I use a Venus Vibrance, and it works well. However, I'd also recommend using a men's razor (Gillette Sensor Excel is the one I used to use) which work really well on legs and underarms, too. Make sure your skin is moisturized, and make shaving, if you do it in the shower, the last thing you do in order to soften the hair a bit via heat/steam. Also, protip: Try using hair conditioner instead of shaving cream, it works really well for me and I've heard lots of other people say the same. It soften the hair a bit and also seems to act almost like a lotion as well.

Oh! and shave with the grain of your hair. As in, the razor stroke goes from the top of the leg down. You get a closer shave this way.

Good luck!

Dulcius_ex_asperis on